PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding "testifying under oath"

02-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Why do people have to testify under oath to "god" in a US court when in the constitution it clearly says:

First Amendment Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

Or am I on completely the wrong path here?

Beatitude
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Why do people have to testify under oath to "god" in a US court when in the constitution it clearly says:

First Amendment Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

"god" in this sense is considered a general entity, since all religions have some sort of god figure. This is how this is interpreted. It is constitutional that you can have someone testify to "god" since that testimony respects all religions in a general manner of speaking.

efini84
02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
"god" does not imply any single religion.

it is more deist than it is theist.

JAGERBOY
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
"god" in this sense is considered a general entity, since all religions have some sort of god figure. This is how this is interpreted. It is constitutional that you can have someone testify to "god" since that testimony respects all religions in a general manner of speaking.

So what about ahteists, or certain forms of Buddhism?

Dreamscapes
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I am an athiest. I refused to swear on a bible when I was summoned for jury duty. That, and telling the judge that the guy "looked guilty" led to me being the first to be dismissed from the pool of potential jurors.

I won't do it, ever.

RelentlessChaos
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah. you dont need to swear under oath. You dont even need to swear.

just say your gonna tell the truth.

whats the differance in saying "i promise not to lie" or "i so swear to not lie" or whatever.

who cares.

Diesel66
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM

THEY DONT have to swear under oath.

JAGERBOY
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
yeah. you dont need to swear under oath. You dont even need to swear.

just say your gonna tell the truth.

whats the differance in saying "i promise not to lie" or "i so swear to not lie" or whatever.

who cares.

I would assume some of the jury would see that as not being trustworthy, based off their own religious views.

Diesel66
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I would assume some of the jury would see that as not being trustworthy, based off their own religious views.

Going to legislate personal opinion now ?

JAGERBOY
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Going to legislate personal opinion now ?

No, I just find it funny. "Oh, that man didn't swear on that fairy tale book about sky fairys and miracles, ZOMG!!!!!!!!!he cant be trusted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111"

Diesel66
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
No, I just find it funny. "Oh, that man didn't swear on that fairy tale book about sky fairys and miracles, ZOMG!!!!!!!!!he cant be trusted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111"

Funny how you can say that, yet you seem the same way.

omg he said I swear to a fairy tale lol

JAGERBOY
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Funny how you can say that, yet you seem the same way.

omg he said I swear to a fairy tale lol

Your right, I would see that person as possibly mentally insane and irrational. Although, if you TRUELLY believe in the invisible boogey man in the sky, then you probably would take that oath stuff pretty serious and not lie.

IraHays
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Making you say "god" in court is not establishing a religion so it doesn't violate the constitution.

US_Ranger
02-07-2007, 02:48 PM
It says in the Bible not to use the Bible or God as something to swear on.

So it's against the law and the Bible....double no go.

02-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I am not talking about jurors, I am talking about a witness in a court presenting testimony.

So you guys are saying when they say "do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me god" and you say "no I do not" you are still allowed to testify and this will make no influence on how they take your testimony into consideration??

Riggggght, if it didn't then they wouldn't do it would they?

It's just never sat right with me.