PDA

View Full Version : Concensus - For Diabetics Low Carb is the only option - My scenario quickly layed ou.

VictorM25
08-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Body Specs:
5'9
283lbs
Pear Shape - Endomorph
Type 2 Diabetic
Insulin Dependant
Various Drugs for Heart Related issues

Key Notes:
-Feel miserable most days
-Suffers from Depression(no complaining)

Ultimate Mission:
Just want to eventually find balance and enjoy life a little, but obviously now limiations are here.

Hello everyone. My name is Victor and I've been monitoring these boards for over a year now. I just finally got up enough nerve to join the board yesterday.

So lets get to it..

I'm thoroughly convinced that low carb is the only option for me. Based off dozens of university studies, proclaimed doctors, and even extremely intelligent posts via this board that is just diverse its ridiculous, the notion of a low carb/almost no carb diet for diabetics is absolutely the only thing that can cure us. ON a side note, there was an article on this board so phenomenal it actually pointed out the inadequicies of the ADA which was mind boggling...

Anyway...

Right now I take boat loads of humalog and levimer(fast acting insulin/slow gradual insulin) and the doctor just keeps pushin pills my way for associated ailments that typically come from being overweight, diabetic and more so obese.

My doctor, in typical doctor form, just tells me to lose the weight, lower the carbs, and usualy only gives me about 5 minutes of talk time even though i wait for him for about an hour.

Carbohydrates, the manufacturing of processed foods, Mcdonalds I know now is the worst thing I could have ever adopted to couple with my depression. I want to turn it all the way around if its not too late.

<b>
Based off the initial information I have given you guys, what is the best possible solution for me as far as diet and exercise is concerned?
</b>

Starting tomorrow I wanted to do a mixture of:
HIIT training
Low carb dieting
Meditation
and actively trying to get back into the sport of basketball, and getting into the sport of martial arts(For me I have to devote myself to something to keep my mind off of cravings, etc..)

Thank you guys in advance..

IraHays
08-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Plan seems good except for HIiT. Not something I would jump into with heart problems.

Walk an hour a day.
Lift some weights.
Low carb it

That's what I would do.

WonderPug
08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Exercise can be a great antidepressant and a VLCKD might be helpful in managing your diabetes, but given the imitations about a complex medical history, I strongly urge you to seek clearance from a physician before commencing any significant dietary, exercise and/or lifestyle changes.

otterakl
08-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Plan seems good except for HIiT. Not something I would jump into with heart problems.

Walk an hour a day.
Lift some weights.
Low carb it

That's what I would do.
This.

Exercise can be a great antidepressant and a VLCKD might be helpful in managing your diabetes, but given the imitations about a complex medical history, I strongly urge you to seek clearance from a physician before commencing any significant dietary, exercise and/or lifestyle changes.

and this. In your case, it is better to start off slow with the exercise. True HIIT is sprinting ALL OUT for 10-15 seconds followed by a short rest period (30-45 secs). That is repeated for however many cycles you can handle. LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) cardio is a much better and safer option for you.

trance__dreamer
08-26-2011, 11:18 AM
welcome. best of luck to you. everyone deserves to be happy!

Tuley
08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe check out the studies on chromium supplementation on PubMed, sorta interesting.
Good luck with everything.

VictorM25
08-26-2011, 11:30 AM
This.

and this. In your case, it is better to start off slow with the exercise. True HIIT is sprinting ALL OUT for 10-15 seconds followed by a short rest period (30-45 secs). That is repeated for however many cycles you can handle. LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) cardio is a much better and safer option for you.

I appreciate the comments everyone thus far indeed..

I'm sorry..Not neccesarily heart problems, but these medications are for Cholestoral, and more so Blood Pressure...

I guess slow and steady is probably still where I want to be i guess...