PDA

View Full Version : chicken broth / stock

Alluring
08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
would it be healthy to have a cup of chicken broth/stock with some of my meals everyday?

(eg, mix it with my brown rice so i down it easier lol)

is that stuff healthy, i think its just water flavored by chicken bones, onions /veggies

sunchienlee
08-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Depends, how dirty is the chick?

Noviceplus
08-23-2011, 07:47 AM
If it helps you eat good stuff that you have trouble eating otherwise, then go for it.

No, it's not healthy, but it's not exactly unhealthy either. I mean, it can be argued that the sodium in the commercial stuff is high and so it's unhealthy, but that's getting carried away.

On the wording, stock is traditionally strained/thin while broth is thicker. Both start with bone/meat in the water with mirepoix (diced onion, celery and carrot). Matter of preference and use.

PhiSig2298
08-23-2011, 07:55 AM
would it be healthy to have a cup of chicken broth/stock with some of my meals everyday?

(eg, mix it with my brown rice so i down it easier lol)

is that stuff healthy, i think its just water flavored by chicken bones, onions /veggies

Why eat brown rice if you need something to help you eat it?

Alluring
08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Why eat brown rice if you need something to help you eat it?

because i have been eating it clean 3-4 times a day with chicken breast for like 3 months , ive replaced a few meals with oats now...
i wouldnt need anything to help me eat it if i ate it with other food though, like chicken Thigh but thats dark meat?

Alluring
08-25-2011, 09:42 PM
If it helps you eat good stuff that you have trouble eating otherwise, then go for it.

No, it's not healthy, but it's not exactly unhealthy either. I mean, it can be argued that the sodium in the commercial stuff is high and so it's unhealthy, but that's getting carried away.

On the wording, stock is traditionally strained/thin while broth is thicker. Both start with bone/meat in the water with mirepoix (diced onion, celery and carrot). Matter of preference and use.

oh ok so its just the sodium that makes it unhealthy? can you just drink a lot of water to balance it out?
what else is unhealthy about it, im making my own with chicken bones etc, read it contains fat but you can wait till its cold and scrape the fats off the top other then that it should be fine?