PDA

View Full Version : Which is better to have post workout?eat food or shake?

wickedmuscle
08-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I always drink whey protein with water immediatley and have a small amount of carbs (wholewheat wrap or banana) after my workout but im wondering if its more beneficial to eat rather than take a supplement. Your muscles absorb protein shakes with water alot quicker than a meal i usually eat about an hour and a half after training say i usually finish at 5 or 5:30 ill drink a shake straight away and small carbs then have dinner at 6:30-7pm and then a small snack before bed.

5am CARDIO
6am - 8egg whites 3 yolks 1 cup oats coffee
9am - Shake with cream and water
11am - 250-280g chicken breast 1 potato 1 1/2 cup veggies
1pm - Shake cream water
3pm - 200g tuna 1 cup rice/ serving cottage cheese
4pm WEIGHTS
5pm - Post workout shake and tortilla or banana
7pm - 250-280 steak or fish 1 1/2 green veggies
9pm - serving cottage cheese tblsp natural peanut butter

Does this look fine? I drink my shakes to replace meals as i get one break at work

AlwaysTryin
08-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Your muscles absorb protein shakes with water alot quicker than a meal
But why does that matter? What about the rest of the meals you have eaten prior that absorb slower and are still digesting..

moneyrich
08-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Wow. So brotastic. Read the stickies. Nutrient timing is for the most part irrelevant.

staunchkg
08-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I always drink whey protein with water immediatley and have a small amount of carbs (wholewheat wrap or banana) after my workout but im wondering if its more beneficial to eat rather than take a supplement. Your muscles absorb protein shakes with water alot quicker than a meal i usually eat about an hour and a half after training say i usually finish at 5 or 5:30 ill drink a shake straight away and small carbs then have dinner at 6:30-7pm and then a small snack before bed.

5am CARDIO
6am - 8egg whites 3 yolks 1 cup oats coffee
9am - Shake with cream and water
11am - 250-280g chicken breast 1 potato 1 1/2 cup veggies
1pm - Shake cream water
3pm - 200g tuna 1 cup rice/ serving cottage cheese
4pm WEIGHTS
5pm - Post workout shake and tortilla or banana
7pm - 250-280 steak or fish 1 1/2 green veggies
9pm - serving cottage cheese tblsp natural peanut butter

Does this look fine? I drink my shakes to replace meals as i get one break at work
You could turn those 8 'meals' into 4 and save all the stuffing around etc. Especially your 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm & 9pm that is just nuts you could have that in 2 or 3 sittings.

wickedmuscle
08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
man no offence but that is the bizarrest thing ive ever heard as everyone knows your suppose to eat every 2.5hrs-3 hrs. I work 8 hrs with one break so i use shakes to replace meals why would you say only eat 4 times a day if thats what your suggesting. How am i suppose to grow from that and not to mention starve in between.please correct me if im wrong here??even now im cutting and still have 7 small meals.

AlwaysTryin
08-21-2011, 11:25 PM
man no offence but that is the bizarrest thing ive ever heard as everyone knows your suppose to eat every 2.5hrs-3 hrs. I work 8 hrs with one break so i use shakes to replace meals why would you say only eat 4 times a day if thats what your suggesting. How am i suppose to grow from that and not to mention starve in between.please correct me if im wrong here??even now im cutting and still have 7 small meals.
Notsureifsrs.....

FourToEight
08-21-2011, 11:28 PM
In before ****storm

kevvy83
08-21-2011, 11:41 PM
I thought everyone knew that you DIDN'T have to eat every 2-3hrs clearly I was wrong. Your body doesn't work on a 2-3hr basis it works on a daily basis, overall nutritional intake is far more important than the timing.

staunchkg
08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
(notsureifserious)
Well I'm going to correct you seeing as you are wrong.

If you are consuming a diet of protein ONLY and the amount of protein you have for the day is 200 grams. Now Whey protein digests the fastest at 10 grams an hour. So if you have your WHOLE day's protein needs just with the Whey Protein, that will take 20 HOURS to digest. Now if you had your 200 grams all from say cooked eggs (they digest at 3 grams per hour) it would take 66+ hours.

Now your diet consists of Protein, Carbs, Fats and Fibre from a mixture of WHOLE FOOD and powder. Each one of the other nutrients listed will SLOW digestion time down and if the are from WHOLE food choices it will be SLOWER again. See where I'm going with this.... You aint starving in 3 hours bro!

wickedmuscle
08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
yeh man i get exactly what your saying and i know you dont "have to eat EVERY 2-3 hrs" its not compulsory but thats what ive studied/read and followed for years i thought everyone did that i see everyones diet plans and they are all similar?How is your meal plan? anyway i thought that was standard your suppose to eat 6-7 meals a day?eating 2 grams of protein per kg of lean mass.... so your saying its sweet two eat only 4 meals a day guess as long as im still getting the required cal pro carbs fat etc?...

wickedmuscle
08-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I thought everyone knew that you DIDN'T have to eat every 2-3hrs clearly I was wrong. Your body doesn't work on a 2-3hr basis it works on a daily basis, overall nutritional intake is far more important than the timing.

yeh true that man i guess i might take on this approach... i been doin the whole evry few hrs thing for years

staunchkg
08-21-2011, 11:56 PM
yeh man i get exactly what your saying and i know you dont "have to eat EVERY 2-3 hrs" its not compulsory but thats what ive studied/read and followed for years i thought everyone did that i see everyones diet plans and they are all similar?How is your meal plan? anyway i thought that was standard your suppose to eat 6-7 meals a day?eating 2 grams of protein per kg of lean mass.... so your saying its sweet two eat only 4 meals a day guess as long as im still getting the required cal pro carbs fat etc?...
I FAST for 16 hours a day (and train in that fasting period) and then pump in 3000 caloires spread over 4 meals in an 8 hours period.

You have been studying Bro-Science ;)

kevvy83
08-22-2011, 12:18 AM
yeh true that man i guess i might take on this approach... i been doin the whole evry few hrs thing for years

Personally I eat 4 times a day, simply because it suits me, I don't have the time to prep 6-7 meals due to work commitments and I get to have bigger meals which is a bonus!

wickedmuscle
08-26-2011, 06:18 AM
yeh true man i think i will start doing the same well just doin breakfast lunch afternoon tea/preworkout shake after training then dinner. That should suit me i really had know idea convinced my mate to do the same he was suprised to cheers