PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can I absorb?

Tragic66
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I've heard a lot of different things. What I think I know is that your body can only absorb 20 grams of Whey protein in an hour span. So I thought if i mixed Whey and Egg White protein that I could get a protein shake that was 60 grams of protein. While I was buying the powder someone seemed to be under the impression that you can't absorb more than 20 grams of ANY typw of protein which I dont think is true.

So I'm wondering: Is there a way to get a 50-60 gram Protien shake that I will absorb? And what's the best way?

Thank you so much

in10city
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
How much protein can I absorb? Pretty much all of it. "The body can only absorb X grams" is bullshiit, within reason of course.

chickeneater
I've heard a lot of different things. What I think I know is that your body can only absorb 20 grams of Whey protein in an hour span. So I thought if i mixed Whey and Egg White protein that I could get a protein shake that was 60 grams of protein. While I was buying the powder someone seemed to be under the impression that you can't absorb more than 20 grams of ANY typw of protein which I dont think is true.

So I'm wondering: Is there a way to get a 50-60 gram Protien shake that I will absorb? And what's the best way?

Thank you so muchYour body only being able to handle so much protein at once is a myth.

feelsg00dmayne
drink your shake. your body will absorb as much protein as you put in it. wouldn't you think that after several hundred thousand years that humans would be able to absorb more than 20 grams? :D

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
So I'm wondering: Is there a way to get a 50-60 gram Protien shake that I will absorb? And what's the best way?Let's put your question in perspective.

What do you think happens when someone eats a big steak? Do you think they absorb the nutrients contained therein, including the protein? Do you know that a big steak can easily contain 150 to 175 grams of protein or even more?

BXR99
08-21-2011, 12:25 PM
yesterday in a 3 hour time period I took in 205g protein, satiated beyond belief

SugarFree1
08-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Science has not been able to figure out how much protein a person can effectively absorb at a time. However there are several different published studies that do show advantages to people that exercise taking 1.5 grams of protein compared to lesser amounts. This is certainly more then 20-40 grams per meal. I dont know if there are any studies comparing even higher amounts of protein intake.

George_Bondrew
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
like many have said the body can only absorb "X" amount of protein at a time is totally a myth, and not true!

and the best way to get your protein is personal preference! if that is by eating 6 meals or 1 meal! (And btw just incase you are wondering you do not need 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism running)

Tragic66
08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you very much for all of your responces. I knew that protein from meats was okay to eat as much as you can. Just with whey protein i was told i could only have 20 at a time or it was all wasted. So Ill be putting 3 scoops in my shakes now. :) Thanks everyone

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 12:33 PM
However there are several different published studies that do show advantages to people that exercise taking 1.5 grams of protein compared to lesser amounts.Please cite those studies.

ZMan45
08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Can't believe this article hasn't been posted yet. OP read this.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

SugarFree1
08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Dr. Lemon is one. If ya want more then that I'd have too look it up. Which I will do for you, since I hate when people point to studies and dont back up the source. Give me a bit and I'l find some of them.

chickeneater
08-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you very much for all of your responces. I knew that protein from meats was okay to eat as much as you can. Just with whey protein i was told i could only have 20 at a time or it was all wasted. So Ill be putting 3 scoops in my shakes now. :) Thanks everyoneFrom a personal note, whenever I down more than 2 scoops I get sick. Unless it's with some bread, or something. Don't know if you will get the same side effect or not. If you don't, good on ya. There have been threads discussing this. Check out Wavelength's super thread "losing fat for noobs" in the losing fat section where he discusses his approach of sipping a 4 scoop shake throughout the day. Also, a lot of people here will encourage you to get your protein through whole food for saitey purposes and not to depend on whey shakes as it invites over eating at one time or another.

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Dr. Lemon is one. If ya want more then that I'd have too look it up. Which I will do for you, since I hate when people point to studies and dont back up the source. Give me a bit and I'l find some of them.Please cite studies and not simply list someone's name. Also, please make sure the studies are peer-reviewed and journal published.

psychodiver9
08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
yesterday in a 3 hour time period I took in 205g protein, satiated beyond belief

That's it?

Lvisaa2
08-21-2011, 01:46 PM
How much protein can I absorb? Pretty much all of it. "The body can only absorb X grams" is bullshiit, within reason of course.

Since I caught you, has there ever been an amount that has been the generally accepted upper limit? It would be somewhat individual, but I was unaware of any study that specifically stated a maximum. Granted, it's splitting hairs and probably not applicable in most real world settings, but it was just something I've been curious about.

BXR99
08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
That's it?

touche, still a lightweight lol

SugarFree1
08-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Please cite studies and not simply list someone's name. Also, please make sure the studies are peer-reviewed and journal published.

Ya know what, I just wasted time looking up exactly that as I said I would but apparently your just looking to disprove something. In which case, I already gave you the name of the study you can look it up for yourself.

Bramble
08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Please cite studies and not simply list someone's name. Also, please make sure the studies are peer-reviewed and journal published.
so you buy into the broscience that the supplement companies have given you telling you to eat 1.5grams per lbs +

and here i thought you were anti broscience

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Ya know what, I just wasted time looking up exactly that as I said I would but apparently your just looking to disprove something. In which case, I already gave you the name of the study you can look it up for yourself.
You're so busted

I asked for citations because I have never encountered such research. I presume you have not either and just made a bald assertion about it, and now you're busted.

alan aragon
08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
so you buy into the broscience that the supplement companies have given you telling you to eat 1.5grams per lbs +

and here i thought you were anti broscienceAre you trying to bramble up another thread, laddie?

ironwill2008
08-21-2011, 03:31 PM

How about posting the link to that study? I too would be very interested to read it.

x-ray vision
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I think this is the study SugarFree1 was referring to:

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

You looked it up but you couldn't be bothered to post it yourself because you thought someone wanted to prove it wrong? Sheesh.

kelly.brandt
08-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow, another thread about how much protein can be used by the body!

And why are we all arguing about it? If you don't feel like you are not taking in enough protein, take in more. If you feel like you are taking in too much and having digestion problems...take in less. Why are we focusing on studies? Who cares? Most of the "studies" don't even relate to a hardcore athlete / bodybuilder, so the information contained in the "study" is worthless.

Sugarfree1: You are right, there have been studies. But, why waste time trying to find them? You have nothing to prove. You know what works for you and I know what works for me.

OP: Your body will metabolize more than 20g of whey at a time. Whey digests very fast. I usually take 50g whey at a time, never had a problem with it.

Wonderpug: Why would you try to discredit someone's post. That's not cool, and I noticed you like to be the devil's advocate on this subject. Trying to hurt people's feelings on this forum will not gain you respect.

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Science has not been able to figure out how much protein a person can effectively absorb at a time. However there are several different published studies that do show advantages to people that exercise taking 1.5 grams of protein compared to lesser amounts. This is certainly more then 20-40 grams per meal. I dont know if there are any studies comparing even higher amounts of protein intake.

I think this is the study SugarFree1 was referring to:

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

You looked it up but you couldn't be bothered to post it yourself because you thought someone wanted to prove it wrong? Sheesh.

SugarFree, if x-ray posted a link the study that you're referring to, then please be aware that they are talking about kg and not pounds per the following quote:

"These studies indicate that for physically active individuals daily protein intake needs could be as high as 1.6–1.8 g/kg (about twice the current recommendation). "

That equates to 0.73 to 0.82 grams per pound and not the 1.5 grams per pound that you cited.

Wonderpug: Why would you try to discredit someone's post. That's not cool, and I noticed you like to be the devil's advocate on this subject. Trying to hurt people's feelings on this forum will not gain you respect.I didn't try to discredit him, but rather asked him to provide the source of the information he was asserting, as I've never seen studies conclude such high protein intake provided special benefits.

Per the above, it looks like SugarFree was wrong in his assertion as he appears to have misread the research.

And this is why it's important to post citations.

Sugarfree1: You are right, there have been studies. But, why waste time trying to find them? Because just saying there are studies does a disservice to those that might believe you are reporting accurately.

Where are those studies?

alan aragon
08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Why are we focusing on studies? Who cares? Most of the "studies" don't even relate to a hardcore athlete / bodybuilder, so the information contained in the "study" is worthless. Not all studies use subjects or protocols that pertain EXACTLY to the goal in question, but they are pieces of evidence nonetheless. Thus they should be taken into consideration, rather than completely dismissed. Ignoring research outcomes would be a bias toward ignorance, just as embracing them as universally applicable would be a bias against individual response.

x-ray vision
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
That equates to 0.73 to 0.82 grams per pound and not the 1.5 grams per pound that you cited.
In SugarFree1's defense, he never said per pound; he just said "taking 1.5 grams of protein" and didn't bother to tell us what that number was in regards to.

WonderPug
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
In SugarFree1's defense, he never said per pound; he just said "taking 1.5 grams of protein" and didn't bother to tell us what that number was in regards to.Good point.

kelly.brandt
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Not all studies use subjects or protocols that pertain EXACTLY to the goal in question, but they are pieces of evidence nonetheless. Thus they should be taken into consideration, rather than completely dismissed. Ignoring research outcomes would be a bias toward ignorance, just as embracing them as universally applicable would be a bias against individual response.

I didn't say they should be "completely dismissed" or "ignored." I tried to gain muscle mass for years with the same amount of protein that these studies advocate. Only after I upped my protein did I start to grow again. I have always believed in trial and error with your own body....see what works for you. I don't know any big bodybuilders (natural or otherwise) that have been able to keep growing year in and year out without taking in at least 1g protein per pound.

I concur with with your post, especially the last sentence. I just don't like it when people are treated like they are an idiot...He was just trying to help.

SugarFree1
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
In the most recent trial, researchers from Australia's Victoria University looked at the impact of two different levels of protein intake on gains in muscle size and strength in a group of well-trained recreational bodybuilders, all of whom had been training for around five years [6].

The men were matched for strength and placed into a whey protein or carbohydrate group. In addition to their normal diet, they were told to consume 1.5 grams of the supplement per kilogram of bodyweight per day in three divided doses, one mid-morning, one after training (or mid-afternoon) and one in the evening before sleep.

For example, an 80-kilogram (176-pound) subject in the whey protein group consumed 120 grams of a supplement containing approximately 103 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbohydrate, and 1.2 grams of fat. The same individual in the carbohydrate group consumed the same dose of a supplement containing 106 grams of carbohydrate and 0 grams of protein or fat.

Men in the carbohydrate group consumed 0.77 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (1.7 grams per kilogram) — the same amount recommended by Dr. Peter Lemon based on his nitrogen balance data from the 1980's and 90's.

Protein intake in the whey group was 1.36 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (3 grams per kilogram) or 1.6 grams per pound of lean body mass (3.5 grams per kilogram), which was roughly double that of the carbohydrate group.

At the end of the study, the protein group had gained 2.3 kilograms (5.1 pounds) of lean mass, compared to just 0.7 kilograms (1.5 pounds) in the carbohydrate group.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/cgi-bin/mmo/main.cgi?i=064279131397lsergeant&u=research/protein.htm

SugarFree1
08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
In a very similar study, a group of Canadian researchers tracked gains in muscle mass in a group of men with approximately four years of weight-training experience [1].

Again, subjects were assigned to either a whey protein or carbohydrate-only group. Subjects in the protein group averaged a protein intake of 3.12 grams per kilogram of bodyweight (1.4 grams per pound), compared with 1.2 grams per kilogram (0.5 grams per pound) in the carbohydrate group. This time the study was a little shorter and lasted only six weeks.

Gains in lean mass were greater in the protein group, who gained 2.3 kilograms (5.1 pounds). The carbohydrate group gained only 0.9 kilograms (2 pounds).

Ghosting
08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/cgi-bin/mmo/main.cgi?i=064279131397lsergeant&u=research/protein.htm

I don't even........

Trillios
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Being a latino allows me to absorb much more protein in one sitting to create larger muscles in order to either row the boat faster or climb the fence faster.

Ghosting
08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
being a latino allows me to absorb much more protein
:).

Trillios
08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
:).

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtE5RJlzvFDKnBNI0t4uZQ0YSEClY2s XMP7cv5zjnOqHa23lTj

trance__dreamer
08-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Being a latino allows me to absorb much more protein in one sitting to create larger muscles in order to either row the boat faster or climb the fence faster.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/230000/230393_1244653312706_402_300.jpg

PeppersGhost
08-21-2011, 08:12 PM

and black people already have all the protein they need because it is produced naturally in their bodies when they excercise because their ancestors were the nation's first triathletes. this naturally occurring protein allows them to play football and basketball professionally and stuff

Trillios
08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Thread successfully trolled.

VIsland
08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/230000/230393_1244653312706_402_300.jpg

Lulz you owe me a new keyboard. ahhaahahah

Cumulonimbus
08-21-2011, 08:26 PM

You blew protein all over it?

VIsland
08-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Something like that. :0

ThePinsir
08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

tl;dr: as much as you fukcing want.

Lvisaa2
08-22-2011, 06:25 AM
In the most recent trial, researchers from Australia's Victoria University looked at the impact of two different levels of protein intake on gains in muscle size and strength in a group of well-trained recreational bodybuilders, all of whom had been training for around five years [6].

Do you have a link to this study? I couldn't find it on the linked webpage or from a google search.

The second study simply shows that one needs more than 1.2 g/kg. Which is below the amount that Dr. Lemon found to be optimal(1.6-1.8).

I'd be interested to see the 1st study though.

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 06:30 AM
http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/cgi-bin/mmo/main.cgi?i=064279131397lsergeant&u=research/protein.htmThat's just about the antithesis of a link to peer-reviewed journal published research. Rather, it's an extremely primitive sales pitch for a service based on "testimonials".

SugarFree1
08-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Do you have a link to this study? I couldn't find it on the linked webpage or from a google search.

The second study simply shows that one needs more than 1.2 g/kg. Which is below the amount that Dr. Lemon found to be optimal(1.6-1.8).

I'd be interested to see the 1st study though.

Both were part of an article comparing different research studies. I posted the link to the article however its a paid membership site. I assume it can also be found elsewhere but wouldnt know exactly where.

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Both were part of an article comparing different research studies. I posted the link to the article however its a paid membership site. I assume it can also be found elsewhere but wouldnt know exactly where.For goodness sakes, just post the study citation.

synthetic
08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Your body only being able to handle so much protein at once is a myth.

If it is a myth, then eating 454g of protein a day would give you 1LB of muscle gain each day.

Im sorry, but the fact is it is dependent on hormones, amount of test so signal to the body for the biomechanic process of synthesis

Lvisaa2
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Both were part of an article comparing different research studies. I posted the link to the article however its a paid membership site. I assume it can also be found elsewhere but wouldnt know exactly where.

Go to the article and look at reference 6. It should list a study.

chickeneater
08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I've heard a lot of different things. What I think I know is that your body can only absorb 20 grams of Whey protein in an hour span.Thank you so much

Your body only being able to handle so much protein at once is a myth.

If it is a myth, then eating 454g of protein a day would give you 1LB of muscle gain each day.

Im sorry, but the fact is it is dependent on hormones, amount of test so signal to the body for the biomechanic process of synthesisI felt I had a very "in context" response to her post.
I'm kinda lost with what your'e trying to point out. It seems to be some type of extreme example. If you feel up to it, please clarify.

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
If it is a myth, then eating 454g of protein a day would give you 1LB of muscle gain each day.That's simply illogical.

Have you been eating synthetic trans fats again?

MontyMagpie
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
You won't be able to absorb every protein you put in your body, that is why we excrement some food out. This is why some animals eat their excrement. Good luck with that.

synthetic
08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
That's simply illogical.

Have you been eating synthetic trans fats again?

prove it is illogical.

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM

That's simply illogical.

prove it is illogical.

Your assertion is that every gram of protein consumed should reflect in muscle mass gains, which anyone with even a modicum of intelligence would understand is an absurd claim to make.

Let me try to simplify it for you: the average male eats about 80 to 100 grams of protein per day. By your logic, that average male should be gaining about 1/5 of a pound of muscle mass per day, or about 400 pounds of muscle per year, every single year.

Now do you see the problem?

psychodiver9
08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
prove it is illogical.

You made the claim the onus is on you to prove it

synthetic
08-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Your assertion is that every gram of protein consumed should reflect in muscle mass gains, which anyone with even a modicum of intelligence would understand is an absurd claim to make.

Let me try to simplify it for you: the average male eats about 80 to 100 grams of protein per day. By your logic, that average male should be gaining about 1/5 of a pound of muscle mass per day, or about 400 pounds of muscle per year, every single year.

Now do you see the problem?

fine, 454g of protein in excess of maintenance of base muscle and non muscular structure. Then supposedly, you should gain 1lb of muscle per day, which still would not happen; unless synthesis factors for it exists, which even with medicated assistance is difficult to achieve

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
^ You're a very confused lad.

x-ray vision
08-22-2011, 04:10 PM
It's sad that he doesn't have the brain power to understand a subject that he has much interest in, yet has the confidence to believe that he knows what he's talking about.

WonderPug
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
^ I totally agree.

He is so passionate and yet so utterly devoid of substantive knowledge (and even basic logic) that it's astonishing. And I fear he's oblivious to his own deficits and thus confident in his imaginary capability.

trance__dreamer
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Something like that. :0

couldn't help it. THEY TOOK ERRR JERBS!

trance__dreamer
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
It's sad that he doesn't have the brain power to understand a subject that he has much interest in, yet has the confidence to believe that he knows what he's talking about.

meh. that's very common in real life. i'm not surprised.

chickeneater
08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
fine, 454g of protein in excess of maintenance of base muscle and non muscular structure. Then supposedly, you should gain 1lb of muscle per day, which still would not happen; unless synthesis factors for it exists, which even with medicated assistance is difficult to achieve

He is so passionate and yet so utterly devoid of substantive knowledge (and even basic logic) that it's astonishing. And I fear he's oblivious to his own deficits and thus confident in his imaginary capability.Good way of putting it. He seems well spoken, but for the life of me I can't make sense of what he's saying.

joejccva71
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Inb4Syntheticmakesnewfriendsagain

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 05:19 PM
fine, 454g of protein in excess of maintenance of base muscle and non muscular structure. Then supposedly, you should gain 1lb of muscle per day, which still would not happen; unless synthesis factors for it exists, which even with medicated assistance is difficult to achieveHow about no. You're logic is we can not handle that much protein because if we could, our bodies would utilize it all to make muscle.

PR1MO
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM

xqZ7mB6FPag

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Spread your protein intake out throughout the course of the day (and night)... different forms of protein are better that others for certain times of use... i think 1g per lb of bodyweight is good during a bulking "cycle". it is very beneficial to take creatine before bed, hydro after workouts and a whey shake or 2 throughout the day in spaced intervals to insure your body is always digesting protien and shuttleing it to your muscles.

PR1MO
08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Spread your protein intake out throughout the course of the day (and night)... different forms of protein are better that others for certain times of use... i think 1g per lb of bodyweight is good during a bulking "cycle". it is very beneficial to take creatine before bed, hydro after workouts and a whey shake or 2 throughout the day in spaced intervals to insure your body is always digesting protien and shuttleing it to your muscles.

Do you also believe in Unicorns?

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM

MontyMagpie
08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Do you also believe in Unicorns?

I do. Multiverse theory.

PR1MO
08-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I do. Multiverse theory.

1. Well played.

2. Who is George_Bondrew?

Lvisaa2
08-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Wow. Just wow. Read the forums, it is apparent that you have been roped in by the BS spewed by the fitness industry/supplement companies.

kusok
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Mr. Olympia Dorian "IIFYM" Yates says to spread brotein evenly over 6 meals per day, because "it doesn't stay with you long" and "you can only absorb so much of it at once". You can't argue with him, look at his muszles!

MontyMagpie
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
1. Well played.

2. Who is George_Bondrew?

No idea. I had to look myself, never heard of him , maybe some quoting bug.

ironwill2008
08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
spread your protein intake out throughout the course of the day (and night)... Different forms of protein are better that others for certain times of use... I think 1g per lb of bodyweight is good during a bulking "cycle". It is very beneficial to take creatine before bed, hydro after workouts and a whey shake or 2 throughout the day in spaced intervals to insure your body is always digesting protien and shuttleing it to your muscles.LOL.

Geez; not another one of these guys in here.

PR1MO
08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL.

Geez; not another one of these guys in here.

He hasn't responded for a while, probably still using a dial-up modem.

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey guys im no expert and im not saying i know it all its just that its helped me to put on some pounds and i am open to suggestions. im not saying im right or im wrong, and im always willing to listen to other peoples input, so shed some light onto my "theory" and point me in the right direction.... Thanks

alan aragon
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey guys im no expert and im not saying i know it all its just that its helped me to put on some pounds and i am open to suggestions. im not saying im right or im wrong, and im always willing to listen to other peoples input, so shed some light onto my "theory" and point me in the right direction.... ThanksAside from the 1g/lb part, everything else was pretty, well, unicorn-tastic... :)

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
He hasn't responded for a while, probably still using a dial-up modem.

And i am in Iraq so the internet isnt exactly the fastest...

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey guys im no expert and im not saying i know it all its just that its helped me to put on some pounds and i am open to suggestions. im not saying im right or im wrong, and im always willing to listen to other peoples input, so shed some light onto my "theory" and point me in the right direction.... Thanks

Good starting point IMO : http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
More fun : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131171153&p=617024343#post617024343

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you for the article! I will definately do my reading and adjust accordingly... Everyone has to start out somewhere huh lol.

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Everyone has to start out somewhere huh lol.

Exactly and I remember how much it sucked. GL and don't be swayed by what you hear. Used to happen to me a lot. People will say incorrect stuff and sometimes nobody corrects them. Used to F me up bad. I'm still learning.

Ghosting
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I'll put some little green squares under your name tonight when I get off recharge (or tomorrow for sure).

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks, as will i! Your help is much appreciated! Got a few buddies making the same mistakes as well... Will be saving those links and excited to see what kind of gains these changes will bring!!!

hawaiistack
08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
You can ingest and absorb protein until you vomit,then it become worthless.

GnickandyT
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Ya i hear ya... i have a real hard time trying to get alot of food down, so i tend to lean more twoards liquid forms of protein/calories... ive been trying to force feed myself lately, and its slowly getting better, but i would still like to get that "bottomless pit" feeling. Food here is free, but only at scheduled times, and i would like to take as much advantage of that as possible lol!

insomniac0
08-23-2011, 12:08 AM

a little offtopic:

454lb of protein = 1lb of muscle? so ur saying muscles are pure protein . lmfao

ImWeakTightUCLA
08-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Gogogogogogogogogogog bro science

synthetic
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM

aka i got you and you have no response

a little offtopic:

454lb of protein = 1lb of muscle? so ur saying muscles are pure protein . lmfao

ok I was trying to keep it simple.... but in the 454g include all micronutrients and what not; you will not gain 1lb of PURE muscle fiber, not water bloated muscle

JonHouse
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Zman, great article. That answer a lot of questions I had as well. Thank you.

saberu315
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Going to have to say that yes it is limited in amount.

When you take too many vitamins your pee turns nuclear yellow and every dump you take expels millions of unused calories and many grams of protein. common knowledge I thought

If you take more your body will quickly expel the excess so that's why you spread it out. Hormones are the biggest factor in how much you use. For example herbivorous animals only source of protein is bugs. 3% of diet. but because of hormones they can gain a pound of muscle every week while growing up. this illustrates how efficiently protein can be used. even though its animals

x-ray vision
08-23-2011, 08:55 PM
^ Great post, saberu! One of your best since this one:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1110551&p=15099401#post15099401

sawoobley
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
^ Great post, saberu! One of your best since this one:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1110551&p=15099401#post15099401

I like this one:

In response to a question - Will running too much make you gain weight?

Answer: Its true. It causes the body to use calories more efficiently and store more fat when available.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137124783&p=732281913&viewfull=1#post732281913

lulz

x-ray vision
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
^ Oh, that's rich! :)

tyseagle
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
I usually get around 40-60 grams of protein per meal. I think the most important factor is the percentage of your daily calories though. Protein for me is about 50% of my daily calories spread throught my 8-10 meals. Don't think about how much you can digest neccesarily but how much you need in your daily calories and try to spread it as evenly as possible.

http://www.skiplacour.com/mmnonbbcom.jpg
Click here to order Skip La Cour's
Mass Machine Nutrition
right here on Bodybuilding.com today! (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mass-machine-nutrition/mass-machine-nutrition.html)

Ghosting
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Going to have to say that yes it is limited in amount.

When you take too many vitamins your pee turns nuclear yellow and every dump you take expels millions of unused calories and many grams of protein. common knowledge I thought

If you take more your body will quickly expel the excess so that's why you spread it out. Hormones are the biggest factor in how much you use. For example herbivorous animals only source of protein is bugs. 3% of diet. but because of hormones they can gain a pound of muscle every week while growing up. this illustrates how efficiently protein can be used. even though its animals

So awesome. :D

x-ray vision
08-23-2011, 10:56 PM
I think the most important factor is the percentage of your daily calories though.
You should better acquaint yourself with this sticky:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

try to spread it as evenly as possible.
Why? You just said one shouldn't think about how much they digest. Why do you think protein should be spread out as evenly as possible?

Ghosting
08-23-2011, 10:57 PM
http://www.skiplacour.com/mmnonbbcom.jpg
Click here to order Skip La Cour's
Mass Machine Nutrition
right here on Bodybuilding.com today! (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mass-machine-nutrition/mass-machine-nutrition.html)

Strong shill. :)

sawoobley
08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I usually get around 40-60 grams of protein per meal. I think the most important factor is the percentage of your daily calories though. Protein for me is about 50% of my daily calories spread throught my 8-10 meals. Don't think about how much you can digest neccesarily but how much you need in your daily calories and try to spread it as evenly as possible.

You must be new here.

I suggest reading the stickies.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Then do some reading about bodybuilding myths.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131171153

x-ray vision
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Strong shill. :)
Did you check out his MM60EFL Energy & Fat Loss product? It's good for losing both fat and energy.

Ghosting
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Did you check out his MM60EFL Energy & Fat Loss product? It's good for losing both fat and energy.

Saw that and ordered some. I want to look like natural Skip La Cour.