PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with peanutbutter for breakfast?

fitspogo
08-21-2011, 05:20 AM
My daily minimum for fat is 43g.....I just consumed approx 30g just with breakfast alone, all from natty peanutbutter....anything wrong with this?

bballbrett5
08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
first tell me what WOULD be wrong with it

Siafu4Life
08-21-2011, 05:34 AM
My daily minimum for fat is 43g.....I just consumed approx 30g just with breakfast alone, all from natty peanutbutter....anything wrong with this?

If you had a hankering for some peanut butter @ breakfast...then peanut butter @ breakfast was all kinds of "RIGHT"!

usawinston
08-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Sounds like you made the correct decision. I had a hankering for toast, eggs, pancakes, and fruit. I had them all. Less carbs with lunch/dinner is how I'll tackle that one. Maybe not though; who cares?

FourToEight
08-21-2011, 05:39 AM
The only thing wrong is that you now have less peanut butter.

Siafu4Life
08-21-2011, 05:41 AM
The only thing wrong is that you now have less peanut butter.

Haha...QFT.

lovingit
08-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Still deciding if troll.

usawinston
08-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Still deciding if troll.
50/50.

Dak09
08-21-2011, 05:46 AM
do people not have common sense anymore?

juliacheh
08-21-2011, 05:46 AM
96 pounds and 17 years old.
I would stop counting and concentrate on lifting, eating and being generally active and athletic.

Siafu4Life
08-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Still deciding if troll.

Naw, she's had some legitimate posts. Not a troll.

FourToEight
08-21-2011, 05:48 AM
do people not have common sense anymore?

Common sense gets stored as fat after 9am, haven't you heard?

lovingit
08-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Naw, she's had some legitimate posts. Not a troll.I have read every one of them and I'm still on the fence.

Siafu4Life
08-21-2011, 05:50 AM
I have read every one of them and I'm still on the fence.

LOL! Perhaps I'm just naive. :(

*Edit* - Besides...what troll knows their daily minimum for fat? I'm still saying legit. :)

fitspogo
08-21-2011, 07:06 AM
not a troll :(

Cumulonimbus
08-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Chocolate bar for breakfast.. FTW!

juliacheh
08-21-2011, 07:07 AM
not a troll :(

Then stop fixating on pointless sh.t

InkBruH
08-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Still deciding if troll.

This^

adamg8504
08-21-2011, 07:34 AM
I just had some greek yogurt with kashi golean, sliced banana, and 2 tbsp's each of my homemade cinnamon raisin swirl peanut butter and almond butter.

In other words, nope it's fine.

2canman
08-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Guys, the OP is an endurance athlete so timing of meals is highly relevant. OP- When do you train? a general suggestion is to avoid having a alot of fat in between multiple workouts. You want quick digesting carbs at these times to support your workouts. Protein and fats would fit in better at night time, since carbs provide for a better energy source. That's what i do and it works great. start off with higher carbs in the morning/around your workouts and taper them down by night time. At night, you'd eat the majority of your protein and fats.

chickeneater
08-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Guys, the OP is an endurance athlete so timing of meals is highly relevant. OP- When do you train?The first post you impressed me with.

Lvisaa2
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Guys, the OP is an endurance athlete so timing of meals is highly relevant. OP- When do you train?

Lawls. OP plays soccer, right? I played soccer for 15-16 years of my life and in highly competitive leagues - played in regional leagues and was on multiple teams ranked in the top 20 in the nation. Sorry, but having fat in your breakfast isn't going to make or break a training session.

2canman
08-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Lawls. OP plays soccer, right? I played soccer for 15-16 years of my life and in highly competitive leagues - played in regional leagues and was on multiple teams ranked in the top 20 in the nation. Sorry, but having fat in your breakfast isn't going to make or break a training session.i'm not saying having some fat will. I'm saying what most athletes do: eat the majority of their carbs pre workout and in the morning for optimal preformance. fat slows digestion, so it's not optimal to have the majority of your fat in your breakfast. But, it all comes down to anecdotal evidence really. btw, I remember OP making a thread about soccer and calories burned, so yeah :)

desslok
08-21-2011, 08:37 AM
No way in hell would I have PB for breakfast today. Why? Because I just got 2 jars of Whole Foods cashew butter in the fridge. Just had half a jar.

Cashew butter > PB

2canman
08-21-2011, 08:41 AM
No way in hell would I have PB for breakfast today. Why? Because I just got 2 jars of Whole Foods cashew butter in the fridge. Just had half a jar.

Cashew butter > PBYES! cashew butter > All. I'm so glad you suggested it in that other thread, so worth it. i gotta say though, strong wtf at the prices. i remember a jar of almond butter costing 15$, i'm pretty sure that's a little over priced.

Lvisaa2
08-21-2011, 08:43 AM
i'm not saying having some fat will. I'm saying what most athletes do: eat the majority of their carbs pre workout and in the morning for optimal preformance. fat slows digestion, so it's not optimal to have the majority of your fat in your breakfast. But, it all comes down to anecdotal evidence really. btw, I remember OP making a thread about soccer and calories burned, so yeah :)

In soccer there are certainly some endurance aspects to it, but I wouldn't label it an endurance sport. Not to mention, optimization will be somewhat individualized based on the person. Either way, some fat in the morning breakfast won't make or break a person and notice she never even mentioned her training. I think it was more of a general nutrition question. I would not consume copious amounts of fat immediately before running on to the pitch, but in the morning eating some fat and slowing digestion may actually help to sustain long term energy. In the end, hopefully the OP is smart enough to eat in a way that optimizes performance and this does not in anyway negate the answers people gave. Is PB okay to consume in breakfast? Yes.

trance__dreamer
08-21-2011, 08:51 AM
http://operatorchan.org/arch/src/n122576_okay20guy20no20variant.jpg

juliacheh
08-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Cashew butter > PB

For some reason I did not like cashew butter at all, however <3 almond butter.

George_Bondrew
08-21-2011, 09:03 AM
however <3 almond butter.

^^ this, but the other day i had some macadamia nut butter omg!!! AMAZING

rich503
08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
At 17 y/o, just exercise and forget counting as Julia said. As far as being a soccer player, I can guarantee you that 99% of the best teenaged soccer players in the world do not care about meal timing. It will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal.

desslok
08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
For some reason I did not like cashew butter at all, however <3 almond butter.

Negged. Did you get the Whole Foods 365 brand? It is the secksleg.

2canman
08-21-2011, 09:20 AM
In soccer there are certainly some endurance aspects to it, but I wouldn't label it an endurance sport. Not to mention, optimization will be somewhat individualized based on the person. Either way, some fat in the morning breakfast won't make or break a person and notice she never even mentioned her training. I think it was more of a general nutrition question. I would not consume copious amounts of fat immediately before running on to the pitch, but in the morning eating some fat and slowing digestion may actually help to sustain long term energy. In the end, hopefully the OP is smart enough to eat in a way that optimizes performance and this does not in anyway negate the answers people gave. Is PB okay to consume in breakfast? Yes.i totally agree with your statement except for soccer not being an endurance sport, because it definitley is. the typical training session for a high schooler is 3 hours long (i played too). Endurance is definitley necessary so i'd classify OP as an endurance athlete. But i don't really think any of this matters lol.

At 17 y/o, just exercise and forget counting as Julia said. As far as being a soccer player, I can guarantee you that 99% of the best teenaged soccer players in the world do not care about meal timing. It will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal.srs? meal timing is highly relevant to the athlete who trains multiple times per day, which could be the OP's case since she plays soccer. i'm not saying counting cals is an absolute necessity, but getting enough meals in between training sessions is indeed necessary.

Lvisaa2
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
i totally agree with your statement except for soccer not being an endurance sport, because it definitley is. the typical training session for a high schooler is 3 hours long (i played too). Endurance is definitley necessary so i'd classify OP as an endurance athlete. But i don't really think any of this matters lol.

Definition for endurance sport:
A sport that requires the ability to perform for long periods of time at low intensities

There are positions and periods of time that certainly require endurance, but it is not an endurance sport.

srs? meal timing is highly relevant to the athlete who trains multiple times per day, which could be the OP's case since she plays soccer. i'm not saying counting cals is an absolute necessity, but getting enough meals in between training sessions is indeed necessary.

No one says it isn't relevant. I just think you are making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be. Less OCD, more living.

2canman
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Definition for endurance sport:
A sport that requires the ability to perform for long periods of time at low intensities

There are positions and periods of time that certainly require endurance, but it is not an endurance sport.

what would soccer be classified as then? (just curious).

No one says it isn't relevant. I just think you are making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be. Less OCD, more living. common sense is all i'm trying to get at really. If you're doing multiple training sessions in a day, be smart and have some good meal/meals inbetween. i'm sure the OP knows this though.

TonkaTom
08-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I think I am gonna have some PB for breakfast tomorrow.

rich503
08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
i totally agree with your statement except for soccer not being an endurance sport, because it definitley is. the typical training session for a high schooler is 3 hours long (i played too). Endurance is definitley necessary so i'd classify OP as an endurance athlete. But i don't really think any of this matters lol.

srs? meal timing is highly relevant to the athlete who trains multiple times per day, which could be the OP's case since she plays soccer. i'm not saying counting cals is an absolute necessity, but getting enough meals in between training sessions is indeed necessary.
totally srs.

chickeneater
08-21-2011, 12:04 PM
At 17 y/o, just exercise and forget counting as Julia said. As far as being a soccer player, I can guarantee you that 99% of the best teenaged soccer players in the world do not care about meal timing. It will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal.Your'e saying that they don't care if they have a full or empty stomach prior to competition or practice? Only one percent of them makes an effort to make sure they haven't eaten a certain way b4? They haven't experienced cramps, or lessened performance based on wether they ate or not? They never made a mental note eg... "well I'll never have pancakes and eggs 15 min before playing again, I just barfed all over."

ALLUCANEATRIBS
08-21-2011, 12:12 PM
My daily minimum for fat is 43g.....I just consumed approx 30g just with breakfast alone, all from natty peanutbutter....anything wrong with this? arent you trying to gain weight? 43g fat sounds like not near enough, even for someone your size.

George_Bondrew
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
arent you trying to gain weight? 43g fat sounds like not near enough, even for someone your size.

2nd this, and if i remember correctly from a different post op is trying to bulk as well

Lvisaa2
08-21-2011, 12:38 PM
2nd this, and if i remember correctly from a different post op is trying to bulk as well

That's generally the definition of "trying to gain weight", like the person you quoted said.

common sense is all i'm trying to get at really. If you're doing multiple training sessions in a day, be smart and have some good meal/meals inbetween. i'm sure the OP knows this though.

So if it is common sense and you are sure the OP knows this, then why'd you choose to point it out and say it's 'highly relevant'? I generally assume people can at least do the basics such as eat so they don't throw up in a training session - if they can't then they need more help then we can provide.

rich503
08-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Your'e saying that they don't care if they have a full or empty stomach prior to competition or practice? Only one percent of them makes an effort to make sure they haven't eaten a certain way b4? They haven't experienced cramps, or lessened performance based on wether they ate or not? They never made a mental note eg... "well I'll never have pancakes and eggs 15 min before playing again, I just barfed all over." I assumed these were not incredibly stupid athletes who ate eggs and pancakes 15 mins before a game, vomited, and then proceded to repeat this sequence the following day. I was referring to things such as wondering if 30 grams of fat at breakfast is acceptable. The common sense stuff, like cramping from dehydration or eating huge meals at game time goes without saying. At least I thought it did.

schabowy90
08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
At 17 y/o, just exercise and forget counting as Julia said. As far as being a soccer player, I can guarantee you that 99% of the best teenaged soccer players in the world do not care about meal timing. It will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal.

Yes but proper pre workout nutrition can make u FEEL much better thus perform much better. Playing decently competitive hockey I can tell the right carbs can make or break how good I feel and play. Maybe she just wants to feel like a ****in boss on the field.

fittjunkie
08-22-2011, 12:07 PM
It will only be a big deal if you make it a big deal.

love this

fitspogo
08-22-2011, 12:10 PM
thanks for all the repliessss!

AWD_TURBO
08-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Still deciding if troll.

My first thought as well.