PDA

View Full Version : What fats?

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Hi, I have just been working out my macros and found I need to be having 180g of fat on a bulk. What fats are best to use? Can I use any as per IIFYM thanks!

peteyboy1015
08-09-2011, 04:11 AM
You should vary all your dietary fats, which is possible through a diet rich in whole, unprocessed food. The only exception is synthetic trans-fat, as consumption of such is known to be*detrimental*to health.

comingsoon2012
08-09-2011, 05:24 AM
What fats are best to use? Can I use any as per IIFYM thanks!LOL! There it is, the essence of IIFYM. Nothing matters.

My opinion for you, it does matter. I would look around at other dieatary models to compare the basics of the philosophy. IIFYM is nothing but a basic calorie counter that makes no distinction between the types of foods/ingredients you consume. As such it is a very flawed approach.

WonderPug
08-09-2011, 05:26 AM
^ I suggest you ignore this poster as he doesn't even know the basics of IIFYM's, which can be learned by reading a sticky in just a few minutes at most.

Avoid synthetic transfats when possible and compose your diet from a diverse pool of whole foods including those that contain dietary fat, such as meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy, oils (olive and coconut, for example), seed, nuts, avocados, etc.

lovingit
08-09-2011, 05:27 AM
LOL! There it is, the essence of IIFYM. Nothing matters.

My opinion for you, it does matter. I would look around at other dieatary models to compare the basics of the philosophy. IIFYM is nothing but a basic calorie counter that makes no distinction between the types of foods/ingredients you consume. As such it is a very flawed approach.No it isn't, what are you even talking about?

OP, you don't need that much fat if you don't want it. You can cut it in half. Up to you.

adrian9

My opinion for you, it does matter. I would look around at other dieatary models to compare the basics of the philosophy. IIFYM is nothing but a basic calorie counter that makes no distinction between the types of foods/ingredients you consume. As such it is a very flawed approach.

IIFYM is eating monstly unprocessed foods and fitting in x amount of treats

Christiffer

Your posts never cease to tickle my humor. ;)

comingsoon2012
08-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Your posts never cease to tickle my humor. ;)Thank You.Are you e-stalking me now? Wouldn't your time be better spent in the weight room?

BlackHeart.au
08-09-2011, 05:44 AM
No it isn't, what are you even talking about?

OP, you don't need that much fat if you don't want it. You can cut it in half. Up to you. I have a new crush, see sig :)

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 06:33 AM
No it isn't, what are you even talking about?

OP, you don't need that much fat if you don't want it. You can cut it in half. Up to you.

How can I cut them in half? The sticky about macros says 1.5g per 1kg of body weight? Have I worked it out wrong?

WonderPug
08-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Hi, I have just been working out my macros and found I need to be having 180g of fat on a bulk. What fats are best to use? Can I use any as per IIFYM thanks!

How can I cut them in half? The sticky about macros says 1.5g per 1kg of body weight? Have I worked it out wrong?You seem confused and thus I recommend that you reread the stickies.

For example, the recommended minimum dietary fat intake is 0.45 to 1.0 grams per pound of body weight, but not less than 0.35 grams per pound of body weight if cutting on a very limited caloric budget.*

---------------
* The obese can use LBM rather than body weight.

lovingit
08-09-2011, 06:36 AM
How can I cut them in half? The sticky about macros says 1.5g per 1kg of body weight? Have I worked it out wrong?It reads this:

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

Christiffer
08-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Thank You.Are you e-stalking me now? Wouldn't your time be better spent in the weight room?

I'd ask you the same question. Wouldn't you rather be lifting, rather than trolling this section. Hahahah, doubtful.

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 07:08 AM
It reads this:

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

so do i go off lean body mass then? think thats why its high.

WonderPug
08-09-2011, 07:19 AM
so do i go off lean body mass then? think thats why its high.Are you obese?

P.S. Why don't you just read the information in the sticky and that which is posted here rather than asking a question so clearly answered by said sources?

comingsoon2012
08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Why don't you just read the information in the sticky and that which is posted here rather than asking a question so clearly answered by said sources?He is clearly not understanding how to work the formula. If you truly want to help him, why not answer his question and work with him rather than shoving him off to some sticky which he does not grasp?

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I just want to be sure o my Marcos because if there wrong it's a waste of time. Thanks for all the help so far :)

IamJonsCranium
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
He is clearly not understanding how to work the formula. If you truly want to help him, why not answer his question and work with him rather than shoving him off to some sticky which he does not grasp?

^Who was he? Lol.

I was going to eat 5 guys today. But Pug's mentioning avocado made my mouth water. I wonder if they can put that on my burger.

FunkymonkAW
08-09-2011, 09:19 AM
...180g? Seems like a ton man.

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
...180g? Seems like a ton man.

I am beginning to think that! Maybe drop to 1g per kg of body weight

jarekd1234
08-09-2011, 09:50 AM
IIFYM is eating monstly unprocessed foods and fitting in x amount of treats

IIFYM means if it fits your macros, which means, you eat what fits your macros.

That doesn't mean you have to eat x amount of unprocessed foods or whatever.

You eat what fits your macros. Which means food.

Randy1976
08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi, I have just been working out my macros and found I need to be having 180g of fat on a bulk. What fats are best to use? Can I use any as per IIFYM thanks!Do you weigh between 180-400 lb? That's what 180g of fats can support. If you want less, go as low as .45gXtotal weight. Here's a fat for you: Save bacon grease and use is to season mixed nuts with Chex mix seasoning. Toast it lightly. It's bacony, salty, nutty and delicious.

axxlef
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
according to your avi you are 183lbs which gives you a minimum of 82g of fat and a maximum of 183g of fat at least thats how i work it out

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Do you weigh between 180-400 lb? That's what 180g of fats can support. If you want less, go as low as .45gXtotal weight. Here's a fat for you: Save bacon grease and use is to season mixed nuts with Chex mix seasoning. Toast it lightly. It's bacony, salty, nutty and delicious.

I am 210 lbs i have looked at the stickies and it said .45 - 1g per lbs of body weight but I am unsure how you choose because it can be between 100-200g of fat a day! Do you go for the lower figure or the higher one?

WonderPug
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
^ Use your own discretion.

axxlef
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
trial and error im afraid is the only way you will find out what fits you best

WonderPug
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
If I were you, I'd be vastly more worried about why I couldn't manage to multiple my weight by 0.45 and get a correct result.

IamJonsCranium
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
If I were you, I'd be vastly more worried about why I couldn't manage to multiple my weight by 0.45 and get a correct result.

Forget it, man. I'll just use the tip calculator in my phone!

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes but then there's carbs and protein to work out ( that I have done ) and what if there out by a bit! Then it could be miles out

Lvisaa2
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes but then there's carbs and protein to work out ( that I have done ) and what if there out by a bit! Then it could be miles out

Post your weight and BF%, your maintenance calories, and your planned calorie and macro breakdown. From that we will be able to tell you if it is sufficient.

lovingit
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes but then there's carbs and protein to work out ( that I have done ) and what if there out by a bit! Then it could be miles outCalculate calories first, then protein, then fat. Then the rest of your calories can go to carbs/fat/protein.

drtcmm
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Post your weight and BF%, your maintenance calories, and your planned calorie and macro breakdown. From that we will be able to tell you if it is sufficient.

Right here goes! I am 215 lbs and about 22% BF. My maintenance is 3000 cals , protein 154g , Fat 144, carbs 272g

Randy1976
08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Right here goes! I am 215 lbs and about 22% BF. My maintenance is 3000 cals , protein 154g , Fat 144, carbs 272g

If I was you I would set it up like this....

Aim for >170g protein, >95g fat and don't exceed 3,000 cals.
The protein and fat use up 1535 kcal if you eat the minimums(680 cal and 855 cal) so you have 1,465 kcal left. That 1,465 can be any mix of protein, fats and carbs.

There's no need to go fats crazy, unless you want to. A lot of people find carbs more enjoyable and give their muscles a better (fuller) energetic feeling. I like setting minimum goals, as it makes my diet as flexible as possible.

You also might want to brush up on your math.

drtcmm
08-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Thank you! This has made it a lot clearer for me. I didn't know that I could use the calories after protein and fats on anything! So if I am bulking I just add 20% to all the Marcos then?

WonderPug
08-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Thank you! This has made it a lot clearer for me. I didn't know that I could use the calories after protein and fats on anything! So if I am bulking I just add 20% to all the Marcos then?This is why you should have and should now read the stickies, as they provide answers to your questions.

Now stop being lazy and read the stickies.

drtcmm
08-10-2011, 03:21 AM
This is why you should have and should now read the stickies, as they provide answers to your questions.

Now stop being lazy and read the stickies.

I did!! It says add 15 - 20% so I am just checking! OK

Randy1976
08-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I did!! It says add 15 - 20% so I am just checking! OK

Yes, assuming your maint cal's is correct.

3,000 is for a very active person.