PDA

View Full Version : To throw the baseball 95 MPH and up....

Be_Easy_25
08-03-2011, 10:40 AM
what percentage of it is hard work and what percentage of it is natural ability?

question.

avaela
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
90% natural ability, 10% hard work

AriGhold
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM

i'd say this is about right. some guys can throw 90 or 95 with terrible pitching form and little formal coaching. others can spend years with a pitching coach working on their mechanics and never reach that point.

WheyneNewton
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
mostly natural ability and mechanics. Hard work more for conditioning to be able to maintain it.

Be_Easy_25
08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
so the average man of average strength (whatever that may be to you, ill assume some one who works out 4 times a week)....he can throw the ball about how fast?

AriGhold
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
so the average man of average strength (whatever that may be to you, ill assume some one who works out 4 times a week)....he can throw the ball about how fast?

arm strength has little to do with it. speed comes from how quick you can move your arm and leverage created with your lower body, the rubber, and the mound.

BobbyLite
08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
its all technique and leverage. this guy was throwing 90's our junior year of highschool, he would then throw a change up and make you look silly as phuck.
He never did anything special, redneck...no coaching, just gifted.

RudeKong
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM

without any pitching technique i say upper 70's/low 80's assuming he works out 4x a week.

Edit: probably more like low 60s if they really have no technique. I assume the average male knows a little about pitching or at least played baseball at one point in thier life.

znith
08-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Depends, i used to pitch when i was a kid and could hit 55-60mph. last week i was at a festival and they had one of those radar gun things, and i could barely hit 40mph, havent thrown in years. And i lift 4x a week, strength has little to do with it, its more practice and mechanics. To answer your question, i saw ppl averaging out at around 30-40mph, but i only stuck around about 10 mins.

I'd say most of it is natural ability, but you have to work at it from a young age. Like if you're 14+ and never really pitched before you won't get up there.

znith
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
without any pitching technique i say upper 70's/low 80's assuming he works out 4x a week.

I think thats way too high broseph...that would be your average former rep league player, or some dude pitching in a dII-dIII school or something. Not your average joe off the street

AriGhold
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Depends, i used to pitch when i was a kid and could hit 55-60mph. last week i was at a festival and they had one of those radar gun things, and i could barely hit 40mph, havent thrown in years. And i lift 4x a week, strength has little to do with it, its more practice and mechanics. To answer your question, i saw ppl averaging out at around 30-40mph, but i only stuck around about 10 mins.

I'd say most of it is natural ability, but you have to work at it from a young age. Like if you're 14+ and never really pitched before you won't get up there.

is that real life?

WheyneNewton
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM

that's on flat ground with sh*tty mechanics though, I'm assuming.

Off a mound I would guess average guy could throw high 50's, low 60's

RudeKong
08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I think thats way too high broseph...that would be your average former rep league player, or some dude pitching in a dII-dIII school or something. Not your average joe off the street

yeah you are probably right. I don't know why that made sense in my head.

znith
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM
is that real life?

Hey, never meant to be a brag, just an honest answer

Of oh course. The way i read it, OP was asking how fast the average joe could throw, not the average joe who has pitched at a high level and knows what mechanics are (like i said, i havent thrown since i was a kid, so i am pretty much the average joe)

Big_Spaz
08-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Off a mound I would guess average guy could throw high 50's, low 60's

That's exactly what I would say, high 50's.

-Spaz

mayweathermusic
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I'd say the 90/10 split is about right, maybe 85/15. You can teach pitching mechanics, but for the most part the truly gifted ones get it right off the bat and need just a little tinkering. A guy with perfect mechanics/arm action can add maybe 3-5% on his fastball by busting his tail working on core/hip strength and flexibility.

JM2412
08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Almost all natural ability.

magicmatt
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
i'm pretty strong and havent thrown anything fast in years, tried to throw a golf ball on the course the other day and thought i blew out my shoulder

Realism
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM

A lot of high school players hit that, my four-seam topped out at 81 and I couldn't command it well but I didn't pitch much in varsity, mainly just relief work. The key isn't just hitting that top velocity, it's commanding it and sitting there consistently.

I'd say it's mostly natural ability but pitchers in the minors can definitely increase their velocity when they fill out their frame and work on their mechanics.

ArtVandelay15
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

ya i agree

my brother used to go to a pitching coach, and worked harder than anyone on his team. He had great control and decent movement, as well as above average mechanics. He has his heart into pitching 100% as well

.....idk if he ever reached an 80+mph fastball

Walker25
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree with 90/10 natural ability. I throw maybe once or twice a week and can still hit mid 80's. I'd say for the average joe around 50-60mph would be pretty good.

BeachBrah22
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I was at an Indians game and they have this pitching game to see how fast you can throw and I was watching it for like 30 minutes during a rain delay and everyone was struggling to break 55 lol. There were some big guys throwing like 45 and some girl threw 58. the fastest I saw was only like 68 or so I think