PDA

View Full Version : what rules would you enact to speed up a baseball game?

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 06:51 PM
mine:

batter is only granted time out once an at bat unless there is an obvious equipment issue

2 pick off throws per runner per base

anonymous123
08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
first team to score wins

game over

WheyneNewton
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
no adjusting gloves or spitting on them and then clapping in between ABs

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
no adjusting gloves or spitting on them and then clapping in between ABs
lol i agree. hes got the whole fukking team doing it

richard02
08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
change nothing.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
change nothing.
fail. games are too slow and fans are getting sick of it. this is why you are not important

WheyneNewton
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
all these guys gtfo

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/483717/LONGEST_TIME_BETWEEN_PITCHES_medium.jpg

scotyg
08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
the pitcher wont take so much time between pitches if the ball is on fire

thecreed
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
shorten the # of innings. i know this will never actually happen because baseball actively resists change, claiming that its because of tradition. But i honestly think it would greatly increase excitement.

When the Phillies and Rays played in the world series in 2008, one game was postponed due to rain and they picked it back up the next day with only 1.5 (i think) innings to play. It was so exciting. Not only was it a world series game, but every single pitch was SO important.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
all these guys gtfo

[img]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/483717/LONGEST_TIME_BETWEEN_PITCHES_medium.jpg[/mg]
looks like we're the biggest offenders

shorten the # of innings.
stopped reading right here

Mac_xX
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Nothing, baseball is fine that way. It needs changes to things like instant replay, not speeding up the game.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Nothing, baseball is fine that way. It needs changes to things like instant replay, not speeding up the game.
its not fine. dont kid yourself

21Classic
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
no timeouts for the batter

no stepping out of Box once in

pitch must be thrown within 20 seconds of last. If pick off throw is thrown, pitch must be made within an additional 10 seconds of that original 20.

Thatd do fine. For those who say 'its fine, its not too long' you must not have very many obligations. I cant sit around and watch a game for 6 hours. I got shiit to do. Besides the fact that its boring and annoying for a batter to take a 30 minute timeout to restrap his gloves 5 or 6 times.

no rain delays. every other sport plays in the weather. oh hold on, one other doesnt..tennis.

bbacn123
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Don't be a Red Sox or Yankee fan because their games are each 4 1/2 hours long as opposed to a normal baseball game ranging from 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Don't be a Red Sox or Yankee fan because their games are each 4 1/2 hours long as opposed to a normal baseball game ranging from 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
maybe in that t-ball league that has a guaranteed 4 outs

21Classic
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM

but they need special time to do the role call :(

ericb14
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't change anything.

richard02
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
fail. games are too slow and fans are getting sick of it. this is why you are not important

suppose you want to speed up NFL games too because they average the same game length as baseball. Lets rewrite rules because MagicMatt has a hyperactive disorder and can't sit still for a couple hours to watch something he supposedly likes.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
suppose you want to speed up NFL games too because they average the same game length as baseball. Lets rewrite rules because MagicMatt has a hyperactive disorder and can't sit still for a couple hours to watch something he supposedly likes.
lol @ comparing the pace of NFL to MLB

keep posting so we can see the full scope of your inferior intelligence

ericb14
08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
They should enforce this rule though:

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

whats the point of making a rule and not even considering using it.

Greg1983
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
How can you limit the number of pickoff throws? If you throw over twice then he's basically guaranteed a steal after.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
How can you limit the number of pickoff throws? If you throw over twice then he's basically guaranteed a steal after.

gee i dont know, use them wisely?

richard02
08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
lol @ comparing the pace of NFL to MLB

keep posting so we can see the full scope of your inferior intelligence

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

I dont know why I posted an article though considering it will require you to sit still for more than a minute.

Greg1983
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Yeah and if you still don't get him? You're fine with the rules allowing the base to be conceded?

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

I dont know why I posted an article though considering it will require you to sit still for more than a minute.

lol you idiot. how would one even counter this since there is no clock in baseball? technically the entire baseball game is action

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah and if you still don't get him? You're fine with the rules allowing the base to be conceded?
your catcher has never throw anyone out? i meant pick offs by the pitchers not throwing runners out

Aran
08-01-2011, 07:31 PM
how short of a attention span do people have nowadays? just leave the game as it is.

Greg1983
08-01-2011, 07:32 PM
your catcher has never throw anyone out? i meant pick offs by the pitchers not throwing runners out

Catcher can't throw a guy out if he takes a 30 foot lead, unless he runs like Ortiz maybe. And if the pitcher can't throw over again, what's stopping him from taking that?

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Catcher can't throw a guy out if he takes a 30 foot lead, unless he runs like Ortiz maybe. And if the pitcher can't throw over again, what's stopping him from taking that?
catcher can snap throw back to first. thats not part of my rule. plus i'd love to see balls throw into right field all night

ericb14
08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Limit the # of warm up pitches RP's can take when they enter the game?

bbacn123
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
maybe in that t-ball league that has a guaranteed 4 outs

So in other words having no DH would speed up the game.

Heard it here first from magicmatt himself guys. No DH is better for the game than DH.

RojanRando
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
nothing. Baseball is perfect the way it is.

ericb14
08-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Heard it here first from magicmatt himself guys. No DH is better for the game than DH.

hahaa

Greg1983
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
catcher can snap throw back to first. thats not part of my rule. plus i'd love to see balls throw into right field all night

So? Do you know what kind of a lead you'd be able to take if you know they'd have to go to home plate and back to first to try to get you? Far enough to break on the windup and make it in plenty of time.

bbacn123
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Honestly anyone in here who tries to implement a rule making the pitcher throw more quickly will only be counterproductive. Pitchers will be rushed, throw worse pitches, give up more hits, extending more innings.

Great idea guys. Luckily there people like me who aren't brain dead MORANS who understand this.

bbacn123
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
shorten the # of innings. i know this will never actually happen because baseball actively resists change, claiming that its because of tradition. But i honestly think it would greatly increase excitement.

When the Phillies and Rays played in the world series in 2008, one game was postponed due to rain and they picked it back up the next day with only 1.5 (i think) innings to play. It was so exciting. Not only was it a world series game, but every single pitch was SO important.

Worst idea in this thread guys.

brb only needing my starter to pitch 3 or 4 innings cause then I have OFlaherty, Venters, and Kimbrel who are automatic goose eggs.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 07:45 PM

does it take longer for ortiz to jack one on the first pitch or for one of your lame ass pitchers to bunt foul twice, take 3 balls then strike out looking?

So? Do you know what kind of a lead you'd be able to take if you know they'd have to go to home plate and back to first to try to get you? Far enough to break on the windup and make it in plenty of time.
well pitchers in my league would think twice before throwing that second pick off attempt. maybe i'll make it 3 since you kinda proved a point

Honestly anyone in here who tries to implement a rule making the pitcher throw more quickly will only be counterproductive. Pitchers will be rushed, throw worse pitches, give up more hits, extending more innings.

Great idea guys. Luckily there people like me who aren't brain dead MORANS who understand this.
please show me a correlation between the time a pitcher takes to throw the ball after he gets it back to how many hits he gives up

go ahead, i'll wait

Greg1983
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
does it take longer for ortiz to jack one on the first pitch or for one of your lame ass pitchers to bunt foul twice, take 3 balls then strike out looking?

The way Ortiz jogs the bases...

well pitchers in my league would think twice before throwing that second pick off attempt. maybe i'll make it 3 since you kinda proved a point

And you'll have the exact same problem after 3. Either way you're conceding the base at some point. Baserunners already take an extra base at a 73% clip. They don't need another advantage. Hell with all these extra runners in scoring position you'll probably just lengthen the game anyways.

bbacn123
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
please show me a correlation between the time a pitcher takes to throw the ball after he gets it back to how many hits he gives up

go ahead, i'll wait

Time is not the issue Einstein. Comfort is the issue. You want to force a pitcher to throw when he's uncomfortable because he now has a time limit.

So basically any correlation would need to stem from a pitcher being not prepared to throw with the number of hits. Sadly that information just doesn't exist because pitchers are given the time to make a pitch when they want to pitch it instead of being forced due to time constraints.

Is it really that hard to understand? I guess so if you think I can actually find data to correlate with something that doesn't exist under current rules but that's obvious anyway.

How many pitchers pitch cause the ump tells them to again? None so no data for you phaggot.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Time is not the issue
stopped reading right here.

thread title: what rules would you enact to speed up a baseball game?

Tes45
08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Not really a game speed issue at all, but can we end the steroid free baseball experiment now? Pretty sure everybody gets the point, hitters suck without roids, give them back now please.

magicmatt
08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Not really a game speed issue at all, but can we end the steroid free baseball experiment now? Pretty sure everybody gets the point, hitters suck without roids, give them back now please.
i must agree. give them to everyone. i want to see ronnie colemans hitting balls not kids the size of the players on my high school team

Zig_Zag_Man
08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Time is not the issue Einstein. Comfort is the issue. You want to force a pitcher to throw when he's uncomfortable because he now has a time limit.

So basically any correlation would need to stem from a pitcher being not prepared to throw with the number of hits. Sadly that information just doesn't exist because pitchers are given the time to make a pitch when they want to pitch it instead of being forced due to time constraints.

Is it really that hard to understand? I guess so if you think I can actually find data to correlate with something that doesn't exist under current rules but that's obvious anyway.

How many pitchers pitch cause the ump tells them to again? None so no data for you phaggot.

It will be hard for the pitchers that are currently in the game but it will benefit the game overall and players who grow up with the rule wont have problems with it. Think of it like the shot clock in basketball. Yeah if you take 90 seconds to get a shot every possession you will probably get a good look but it will be boring as ****. You are right though it could make pitchers give up more runs and extend the game. So try it out in the minors and see if it speeds up the game.

Managers cant visit the mound unless they are making a change.
The relief pitchers warm up in the bullpen. Once they get out there they just pitch.
15 second pitch count that can be right behind the umpire for all I care, and the umpire can have a buzzer that will go off if its too late. Count it as a ball.

canuckathlete
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
i must agree. give them to everyone. i want to see ronnie colemans hitting balls not kids the size of the players on my high school team

two of the best HR hitters this year are skinny little guys, and they are both on pace for 40+ HRs... you don't need to be jacked to hit bombs

atlathlete1
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
If you are looking for a fast game, baseball isn't for you.

two of the best HR hitters this year are skinny little guys, and they are both on pace for 40+ HRs... you don't need to be jacked to hit bombs
This. Hitting is mainly about technique.

Hoop_Dreams
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
A pitcher gets two free pick off throws per runner. Every pick off throw after two adds a ball to the current batter's count.

Mac_xX
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
stopped reading right here.

thread title: what rules would you enact to speed up a baseball game?

F*ck man, at least act like you're trying to argue your points.

woahhh
08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
OPs idea is fuking dumb. Bases are easy enough to steal as is. brb walk to second base after 2 pickoff attempts.

tottsBALEout
08-01-2011, 09:26 PM

lol thats not a very good reflection of the sport. in order for it to be interesting even to some fans, they feel the need to have PED's to make it tolerable.

oh and brb barry bonds is a cheater. but bring back steroids. strong contradictions.

magicmatt
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM
40 hr's =/= 72 hr's

F*ck man, at least act like you're trying to argue your points.
hes the one who came in the thread without reading the title

OPs idea is fuking dumb. Bases are easy enough to steal as is. brb walk to second base after 2 pickoff attempts.
at one point this year, one of the fastest guys in the league, jacoby ellsbury had 14 steals and had been caught 10 times i believe

soooooooooooooo easy to steal

lol thats not a very good reflection of the sport. in order for it to be interesting even to some fans, they feel the need to have PED's to make it tolerable.

oh and brb barry bonds is a cheater. but bring back steroids. strong contradictions.
direct me as to where i said bonds was a cheater

F.A.M.E.
08-02-2011, 06:40 AM
None. The game is fine as it is. They shouldn't even add more teams to the playoffs. That's what makes baseball unique. Only 4 teams in each league make the playoffs. It makes followin' your team all year much more meaningful.

buckeyenutz
08-02-2011, 07:19 AM
None. The game is fine as it is. They shouldn't even add more teams to the playoffs. That's what makes baseball unique. Only 4 teams in each league make the playoffs. It makes followin' your team all year much more meaningful.

This.

NJLife
08-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Watch a movie if you can't handle more than 2 hours of play time.

Maybe they were right, technology is killing the game. Cuz technology is making people ADHD.

I pay 200$ for a ticket, play as long as you want!

ATownDRock
08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
mine:

batter is only granted time out once an at bat unless there is an obvious equipment issue

2 pick off throws per runner per base

Like said below multiple times this would get exploited hard. Take semi-aggressive lead, he throws to 1st twice and you get back. Take 25 foot lead and run on first movement. You'd basically be there before the catcher has time to react. Even Jim Thome could steal bases then.

the pitcher wont take so much time between pitches if the ball is on fire

I lol'd

no timeouts for the batter

no rain delays. every other sport plays in the weather. oh hold on, one other doesnt..tennis.

Why just the batter? If the pitcher or batter isn't comfortable/whatever, they should be able to step out.

The catcher has to have the ball for that to work and the runner would take off on first movement to second every time after 2 pickoff attempts.

And you'll have the exact same problem after 3. Either way you're conceding the base at some point. Baserunners already take an extra base at a 73% clip. They don't need another advantage. Hell with all these extra runners in scoring position you'll probably just lengthen the game anyways.

To be honest, I can't believe people aren't more aggressive on the basepaths. I want to see some people challenge 100 steals again and get Rickie Henderson's record. (Don't like him, he's a pompous ass).

A pitcher gets two free pick off throws per runner. Every pick off throw after two adds a ball to the current batter's count.

ITT: People over-estimate # of pickoff attempts a game and under-estimate how easy this would be to exploit.