PDA

View Full Version : Eagles fans

cor030
08-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Why do you hate Sean McDermott? Serious question, no "derp he's an idiot" responses please. Carolina hired him(obviously under Ron Rivera he's not going to have full control of the defense) and I've only heard good things from the players/etc.

Did the Eagles players just not match his style? I've heard a lot of you guys trashing him and I'm legitimately curious what the deal is with him.

NavyRoll
08-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Poor results. That's all there is to it. Red zone D was atrocious and I often saw players out of position, confused. I don't put the blame on him 100% though. Must've been tough for him considering what he had to work with.

Christ, I lost track of who our starting safeties and linebackers were because they were changing the guys so much.

cor030
08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Poor results. That's all there is to it. Red zone D was atrocious and I often saw players out of position, confused. I don't put the blame on him 100% though. Must've been tough for him considering what he had to work with.

Christ, I lost track of who our starting safeties and linebackers were because they were changing the guys so much.

Do you think he can be successful with the right group of guys?

What defense did he run in Philly? Can't remember if ya'll run a 4-3 or 3-4.

JM2412
08-01-2011, 06:24 PM

This.

The red zone defense was laughably bad. Always seemed like the players were out of position, confused, etc.

EDIT: The Eagles run a 4-3 defense.

STA1011
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Can't remember if ya'll run a 4-3 or 3-4.

front 7 is a 4-3

thebestrbevr21
08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Do you think he can be successful with the right group of guys?

What defense did he run in Philly? Can't remember if ya'll run a 4-3 or 3-4.

They ran a 4-3. And he just tried to outsmart teams so much he outsmarted himself and his own players. He did weird things like dropping his best pass rusher (T Cole) into coverage on 3rd downs and playing undersized, pass rushing DE's (Brandon Graham) at DT. Some of his schemes were too much for such a young defense. And I read that a lot of the players disagreed with and/or didn't respect his playcalls which didn't help at all as they prob didnt play as hard as they could have for him as a result.

DR225
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Besides the general incompetence listed above, he also lost the locker room. Player after player trashed him in the media and you know he dun goofed when a team that generally keeps things in house goes off on a guy.

in4thelulz
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I thought he was alright. I never thought he had a really good secondary to work with. It seemed as if the Eagles always had really young safeties. But I agree with everyone else. The red zone defense was awful.

Lasers1
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Having D-lineman drop back in coverage and sending d-backs after the QB, you know, normal stuff...

On a srs note, I think he tried too hard to live up to the expectations set for him as JJ's successor that he outsmarted himself half the time

stevesill
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Don't really hate him. He was put into role he wasn't ready for and wasn't given much to work with in terms of talent.

jyjj
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
He tried to out Jim Johnson Jim Johnson and ended up going full retard .

theACEofSPADES
08-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Because he's no Jim Johnson. Changed a lot of shiit around. Jim Johnson rule #1, when in doubt, blitz.