PDA

View Full Version : Erik Bedard to the Sox...sortofwant.jpg

PitBillSoxFan
07-31-2011, 01:16 PM
So his stock has clearly gone down this year, but if he can stay healthy, he should be a solid part of our rotation.

Good low risk move. We only need him to be better than the Weiland/Lackey/Wakefield part of the rotation.

panaxxIX
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
didnt he used to play for the os? lmao good luck with that

BeastReturns
07-31-2011, 01:30 PM
16 Starts
4-7
3.45 ERA
1.17 WHIP
He's a good 2nd or 3rd starter.
He'll be our post season 4th hopefully if Buchholz is back, and thats a very potent top 4 of the rotation. Maybe even the best in the league.

iamgenus
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
What'd they give up for him?

BeastReturns
07-31-2011, 01:33 PM
As far as I heard someone from the Seadogs... I'll update it in a sec.

Edit:
In the trade, Bedard and fellow Mariners pitcher Josh Fields are headed to Boston; Dodgers outfield prospect Trayvon Robinson is going to Seattle; Red Sox prospects Tim Federowicz, Juan Rodriguez and Stephen Fife are headed to the Dodgers; and Boston prospect Chih Hsien Chiang is headed for Seattle.

Source:
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6821409/source-erik-bedard-seattle-mariners-traded-boston-red-sox

sircharles032
07-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Bedard has been pretty good this year. He actually had a stretch where he was REALLY nasty and then he got hurt. Horrible record, but that comes from playing on the Ms. I didn't see news of this on MLB.com but I don't follow the Sox so I'm sure you're probably right about this anyway. Good pickup for them as long as he stays healthy.

slowdubbin68
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM

On the bright side for the red sox, is that bedard is familiar with players in the AL east

PitBillSoxFan
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM

yes he did. As one of the best pitchers in the AL (5th in the Cy Young)

what's your point? Because he pitched for the Orioles it's impossible he's a good player? Strong logic.

Be_Easy_25
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
potential backfires.

but they seem lowrisk

it's better than what the yankees are doing.....closing their eyes and crossing their fingers wishing that their starting pitching will magically get better.

NocturnalEphex
07-31-2011, 01:44 PM
If he had a decent offensive team behind him the record he's had and deserved this year could easily be 7-4 instead of 4-7. That's more than acceptable.

WheyneNewton
07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
If he had a decent offensive team behind him the record he's had and deserved this year could easily be 7-4 instead of 4-7. That's more than acceptable.

are we seriously judging a trade/pitcher based on the pitcher's W/L record?

rjordan562
07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Good god Colleti is retarded

GetBigyo
07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
lol @ hyping up Bedard.

He sucks, is always injured, and will get rocked in the AL East.

panaxxIX
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
one of the best? i know he was our top pitcher with us but he was horrible every time i saw one of his games

PitBillSoxFan
07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
lol @ hyping up Bedard.

You can't be this dumb, can you?

He doesn't suck, we gave up nothing for him, and he's dirt cheap. He has a 3.54 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP this year.

If he gets hurt, he's DFA'ed and notasinglefukwasgiven.jpg

He could easily pitch as well as Ubaldo, who Cleveland gutted their system for. The best prospect we gave up was ranked 18th in our system.

lol @ scared/pissed Yankee fan who's mad we're better today than we were yesterday after you did nothing to improve your team

sircharles032
07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Worst case scenario this guy gets hurt and nobody cares, because they didn't give up anything for him.

Best case scenario they got a starting pitcher that is going to hold down a mid 3s ERA and win a ton of games with that offense behind him...

Even if he's in the middle of that he's better than their 5th starter, so there is really no way they can lose by acquiring him

lrm546
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
one of the best? i know he was our top pitcher with us but he was horrible every time i saw one of his games

why even comment if you don't know what you're talking about. bedard was nasty on the Os and if he stays healthy and actually tries this is a good trade

LostOne287
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
We knew you'd come crawling back. Great trade for M's. Get two good talents with upside in exchange for Bedard (who might come back anyway) and a sh*tty reliever.

lol @ hyping up Bedard.

Strong retard. Do you even watch baseball? Bedard was one of the best pitchers in the league while pitching in the AL East. He's never sucked, injuries have been his problem. When healthy he's a number two, borderline number 1 starter.

Yankees fans scared as fuk now.

razorsedgepit06
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
lol @ scared/pissed Yankee fan who's mad we're better today than we were yesterday after you did nothing to improve your team

Dont flatter yourself bro. Did you really expect Yankee fans to be shaking in their boots because the red sox got Erick Bedard. Lol he sucks balls.

Also, we didnt need to do anything to the rotation. brb 2nd in the AL in team ERA. People need to realize there were no significant upgrades on the market over what the Yankees currently have. Unless we're talking about King Felix..... Donotwant timebomb jiminez or even better yet some injury prone dude like bedard or harden that will land on the DL after 3 starts.

Garcia and Colon down the stretch are fine by me. Burnett is the x factor. If he pitches well like in 09 the Yankees could make a serious run in the postseason. If he bombs out, it will be difficult.
Remember, you guys are the ones that needed a boost being 21st in baseball in ERA, not the Yankees.

BeastReturns
07-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Why aren't people afraid of this rotation?
Beckett
Lester
Buchholz
Bedard

That's 4 guys that could be #1/#2 starters on the Yankees lol.
Then they got a couple guys that are average 4/5s.

Good trade, gonna be a good team come playoff time.

gottk2x
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Beckett
Lester
Buchholz
Bedard

Be fair though, each of the pitchers you listed can be extremely streaky.

razorsedgepit06
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Be fair though, each of the pitchers you listed can be extremely streaky.

This.

Sox fans everywhere trying their hardest to convince everyone their rotation is scary, even though their pitching staff is 21st in MLB in ERA.
The sox offense is whats carrying that team.

FeelsGoodMan883
07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
i'm pretty happy with it.

1. Knows the AL East
2. Pitching well this year despite record
3. Cheap
4. Prospects we lost...meh.
5. Doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd starter at all.

brb_ballin
07-31-2011, 03:46 PM
glad we got this done.. another arm to add.. our line-up is filthy just needed more help in the rotation

Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Bedard, Harden, Lackey, Wakefield, Dice-K (yes aware he's done for year)

if our big 3 is healthy for the playoffs it's gonna be good

PitBillSoxFan
07-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Any Yankee fan who doesn't think this is a great move by the Sox is just being a blind homer.

We paid nothing in terms of prospects
He costs nothing
It's a better trade than the Harden deal
We are a better team today than we were yesterday.

magicmatt
07-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Beckett
Lester
Buchholz
Bedard

buchholz wont pitch again this year

This.

Sox fans everywhere trying their hardest to convince everyone their rotation is scary, even though their pitching staff is 21st in MLB in ERA.
The sox offense is whats carrying that team.
you can stop bringing this up any time now. the difference is .4. plus i dont even know where you get those numbers fron
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2011/seasontype/2

RyzinEnagy
07-31-2011, 04:08 PM
It's a good move by the Red Sox. I don't know why you guys feel the need to talk about the Yankees since they already uncovered their two low-cost gems in Colon and Garcia and don't need another high-risk high-reward type of guy. They didn't get Jimenez who I wanted but I would not have been happy if they outbid Cleveland for him.

brb_ballin
07-31-2011, 04:10 PM
It's a good move by the Red Sox. I don't know why you guys feel the need to talk about the Yankees since they already uncovered their two low-cost gems in Colon and Garcia and don't need another high-risk high-reward type of guy. They didn't get Jimenez who I wanted but I would not have been happy if they outbid Cleveland for him.

gems... lmao

maybe the first month of the season.

Garcia and Colon are junk

magicmatt
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
excuse us, we're just a bit bitter about colon because he couldnt throw 85 when we had him several years ago

RyzinEnagy
07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
gems... lmao

What about Colon this year is junk? Velocity is back. The devastating two-seamer from his Cy Young days is back. xFIP is at 3.25 (compared to 3.39 for Bedard), which is even lower than his ERA. Any Sox fan that says Colon is a fluke is a homer, and you're not going to prove he is because you can't.

WheyneNewton
07-31-2011, 04:27 PM
gems... lmao

our "junk" > your "5 aces""

magicmatt
07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
gems... lmao

lol how can you say garcia is junk? seriously

BeastReturns
07-31-2011, 05:40 PM
our "junk" > your "5 aces""

Orly,
Beckett
CC
Lester
Garcia
Colon
Buchholz
Bedard
Burnett
Lackey
Hughes

WheyneNewton
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Orly,
Beckett
CC
Lester
Garcia
Colon
Buchholz
Bedard
Burnett
Lackey
Hughes

http://i.imgur.com/RZulJ.png

inb4 "if..." arguments, I'm talking about results.

also, Beckett: 3.4 WAR, Sabathia: 5.6 WAR.

Covy1
09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
16 Starts
4-7
3.45 ERA
1.17 WHIP
He's a good 2nd or 3rd starter.
He'll be our post season 4th hopefully if Buchholz is back, and thats a very potent top 4 of the rotation. Maybe even the best in the league.

We knew you'd come crawling back. Great trade for M's. Get two good talents with upside in exchange for Bedard (who might come back anyway) and a sh*tty reliever.

Strong retard. Do you even watch baseball? Bedard was one of the best pitchers in the league while pitching in the AL East. He's never sucked, injuries have been his problem. When healthy he's a number two, borderline number 1 starter.

Yankees fans scared as fuk now.

glad we got this done.. another arm to add.. our line-up is filthy just needed more help in the rotation

Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Bedard, Harden, Lackey, Wakefield, Dice-K (yes aware he's done for year)

if our big 3 is healthy for the playoffs it's gonna be good

Orly,
Beckett
CC
Lester
Garcia
Colon
Buchholz
Bedard
Burnett
Lackey
Hughes

lawl

LostOne287
09-26-2011, 11:34 PM
lawl

Eh I thought he'd be better. But I could care less, we got future stud Trayvon Robison for basically nothing. Sox knew what they were getting when they got Bedard.

TexasHeat
09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Eh I thought he'd be better. But I could care less, we got future stud Trayvon Robison for basically nothing. Sox knew what they were getting when they got Bedard.

how is justin smoak?

lolm dude sucks

RyzinEnagy
09-27-2011, 04:28 AM
how is justin smoak?

lolm dude sucks
Meanwhile Montero has burst onto the scene in his first month at age 21.

Strong trade Mariners...