PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time a team that spent big in FA won the SB in the same season?

PP7DaFreak
07-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Serious question.

spirit3530
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Green Bay Packers Reggie White signing.
Cowboys Herschel walker trade.

Curtis Martin

LMAO spend big...

Cullen 4 mil
ASO 12 mil
Babin 4 mil
Vince young 4 mil

Where is the big spending?

SteezeFactory
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM

Curtis Martin

Congrats on making a complete failure of a list. He said same season they made the moves. Reggie White didn't win a ring til like 97. Martin and Walker never even won a super bowl.

spirit3530
07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh and

Check the Panthers roster.

RWC5113
07-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Curtis Martin

LMAO spend big...

Cullen 4 mil
ASO 12 mil
Babin 4 mil
Vince young 4 mil

Where is the big spending?
Wut

cor030
07-30-2011, 09:49 PM
^lolwut

Panthers resigned their players. That's not the point of the thread.

spirit3530
07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats on making a complete failure of a list. He said same season they made the moves. Reggie White didn't win a ring til like 97. Martin and Walker never even won a super bowl.

I stand corrected. Although the Eagles still haven't spent big this off season. Not a lot of guaranteed money being spent here.

Nnamdi at 12 mil is not spending big.

BenadrylBandit
07-30-2011, 09:53 PM
some ones jelly.

yeah you jelly.

spirit3530
07-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Free agent is free agent regardless if he was previously on the team.

RWC5113
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I stand corrected. Although the Eagles still haven't spent big this off season. Not a lot of guaranteed money being spent here.

Nnamdi at 12 mil is not spending big.
Nnamdi at 12 mil.
Cullen Jenkins at 5 mil.
Jason Babin at almost 6 mil.
^^^All three at or above the age of 30 already. Jenkins with a bad injury history and Babin is so far only a 1 year wonder at age 31.
Oh and then this GM wants to go add an Offensive Tackle (anyone even out there?) And you still have a certain Desean Jackson holding out who is gonna want top 3 receiver money.
Did I mention it's only been like 3 days? And that they still have a shoddy O-Line, safeties, and arguably the worst LB corps in the league?
The Eagles have made a splash, but in that splash they have simply made what was the strength of their team stronger while basically ignoring it's weaknesses. A pretty risky method when one of those weaknesses is the offensive line and you have a quarterback who relies on his legs and gets hit more than any other QB in the league.

spirit3530
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Its ONLY been 3 days because of the lockout. First preseason game is aug 11. Not sure if you understand how to read a calender.

Just because he has run in the past does not mean he will run as much now. Steve Young and Elway stopped running as much when they got older.

LMAO DJAX can hold out till aug 8 then he has to report or he has to remain an Eagle for 2 more years instead of 1. He has no choice,

The worst linebacker corp based on what? The season hasn't even started and so you don't know what the LB corp can do.

Oline has players that can move to other positions. Guarantee the Oline is better than the Cowboys.

Oh, I forgot.... Cowboys fan.

RWC5113
07-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Its ONLY been 3 days because of the lockout. First preseason game is aug 11. Not sure if you understand how to read a calender.

Just because he has run in the past does not mean he will run as much now. Steve Young and Elway stopped running as much when they got older.

LMAO DJAX can hold out till aug 8 then he has to report or he has to remain an Eagle for 2 more years instead of 1. He has no choice,

The worst linebacker corp based on what? The season hasn't even started and so you don't know what the LB corp can do.

Oline has players that can move to other positions. Guarantee the Oline is better than the Cowboys.

Oh, I forgot.... Cowboys fan.
Wait a minute, so now Vick, behind the same bad O-Line that had him getting crushed towards the end of the year, is now gonna stay in the pocket? Good luck with that.
DJAX has til the 12th but the contract situation can't be avoided, no matter how hard the Eagles try to do so.
And no, even with how overrated the Cowboys' OLine is/was, the Eagles do not have one better.
Cowboys have you beat at LT, LG, and C. And Tyron Smith was a top 10 pick for the other tackle spot to replace the horrid Marc Colombo. While your RT is now on PUP.(<- See that's called addressing a need. Something the Eagles, despite making the biggest headlines, have really failed to do at their most important weaknesses.)
But yeah man, your LB corps is sooo good. Any Eagles fan will tell you that your LBs are easily the worst part of the team. You're just being a huge homer now.
But yeah, I'm not credible because I'm a Cowboys fan yet I should totally believe you Mr. Curtis Martin won a Super Bowl.

Lasers1
07-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Lettuce be reality....Babin was already with us a couple years ago, and he played in this exact scheme last year. He hardly even counts as a "new face"...Jenkins was only 4 million....VY is just a backup who isn't getting paid much at all....DRC was through a TRADE, not FA....and we'll extend Desean without a problem.

So the only signing where we "spent big" was Nnamdi, who was completely worth it.

JM2412
07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Nnamdi at 12 mil.
Cullen Jenkins at 5 mil.
Jason Babin at almost 6 mil.
^^^All three at or above the age of 30 already. Jenkins with a bad injury history and Babin is so far only a 1 year wonder at age 31.
Oh and then this GM wants to go add an Offensive Tackle (anyone even out there?) And you still have a certain Desean Jackson holding out who is gonna want top 3 receiver money.
Did I mention it's only been like 3 days? And that they still have a shoddy O-Line, safeties, and arguably the worst LB corps in the league?
The Eagles have made a splash, but in that splash they have simply made what was the strength of their team stronger while basically ignoring it's weaknesses. A pretty risky method when one of those weaknesses is the offensive line and you have a quarterback who relies on his legs and gets hit more than any other QB in the league.
Babin- Flourished with Jim Washburn (one of the best, if not THE best d-line coaches in football). Guess who's the Eagles d-line coach this year? Jim Washburn.
Jenkins- Yeah, he's injury prone, but when healthy he was dominant for the Packers. He's versatile, and will bring a pass-rush from the DT position that this team hasn't had for years.
D. Jackson- He's going to get his contract. If the Eagles sign Vick to a long-term deal (which they probably will) they will actually SAVE money because he is franchise-tagged now.
O-line- Peters is a great LT, Herremans is a rock solid LG, J. Jackson is a solid C, Danny Watkins (1st round pick) will probably be the starter when he's signed, and Justice is a 'meh' RT. Justice should be ready to go by the start of the season.

Linebackers- Wouldn't surprise me if they add a veteran LB.

Safeties- Nate Allen showed flashes before he got hurt. He's practicing right now. We'll see what they do with the SS position, but they drafted Jaiquawn Jarrett pretty high this past draft and they like him.

By no means is this team perfect (no team is) but the Eagles addressed needs so far this off-season. They drafted a RG who can hopefully plug and play right away, got 2 high end CB's (which this team really needed) and got 2 high end d-line players to help for the pass rush.

I'm out, so if you respond I'll get back to you in the morning.