PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with all these 15 yr olds obsessing over counting calories?

pjizel69
07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Just enjoy your teen years and f*cking eat, it is so frustrating reading a thread about a 100 lb 15 year old who accidently ate an extra spoonful of PB.

tjwoody
07-29-2011, 08:03 AM
teenagers, early on in high school wanna look good for the ladies...or dudes... imho. my sons gonna be 13 soon and i cant wait will i can steer him right about proper nutrition! :)

juliacheh
07-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Totally agreed. I stopped measuring food and talking about the calories in front of my son when one day he said:
I can't eat this, it has too many calories.

No way he is going to track at 14-15 years old. Heck, if he doesn't want to, no need to track ever unless bodybuilding.

Mean_Bean
07-29-2011, 08:07 AM
They wanna be just like you, but they lack maturity/wisdom, so they are somewhat misguided. Sometimes, you need to do things wrong in order to do things right. Help them by educating them. And sometimes the best education is to know when you're reading too much into something.

waatsgood
07-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Its all about teh abz!!! Eve if they are 115 pounds they think abs=hyuge.

But srs op, I completely agree

WonderPug
07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Abs are the new biceps :(

PhiSig2298
07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I make it a point to say "you're 15, stop worry and eat freely! Stay active & lift heavy!"

And I either get: "Haha yeah thanks"

Or.. "Yeah right mam! If I did that I'd be fat"

If there's any early teen reading this, EAT! You're body has just now started growing & it's growing at a faster rate than it ever will! Take advantage while you can... I didn't even know what a calorie or macro really was in high school!

College, different story!

WonderPug
07-29-2011, 08:19 AM
And then there's the 15 year-old DDon, who gives me hope for the future...

lovingit
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
They just wanna get swole.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/laney_lue/5f04ca4d.gif

ParsonBrown
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
inb4 someone suggest a sticky...;)

notsrs

kkaustin812
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
At age 15 I just should have been significantly more active and maybe calorie/macro concious.

calorie/macro concious =/= Counting

mcoppen
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM

This!! Everyone wants abs, and not just 15yr olds in all fairness. It doesn't matter if you weigh as much as a 10yr old girl with a body like a twiglet, as long as you have the hot abs....

phozosado
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
This would explain the young toughies in my gym doing sets of curls in the mirror and then lifting the shirt to check the abz.

desslok
07-29-2011, 08:30 AM

This is true, though it is harder to drive around sticking your abs out the window when trying to scam on chicks, than it is your left bicep. Remember the story of the guy that only did left arm curls?

PhiSig2298
07-29-2011, 08:41 AM
They just wanna get swole.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/laney_lue/5f04ca4d.gif

http://www.topteenhunks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/robert-pattinson-shirtless.jpg

ananf72
07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Nearly impossible to get my 19yo and 14yo boys to eat. Very very thin 'because the ladies like abs'. My 1yo girl is the only one of normal weight. Funny story, I've been trying to teach them the IIFYM idea and explaining the different macros/need for/purpose/balance etc. because if left to their own, they'd just opt for carbs only. The other day in line at the grocery store, my 8yo boy picks up a KitKat bar and asks, "hey, if I eat all my dinner, can this fit my macros?"

PhiSig2298
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Nearly impossible to get my 19yo and 14yo boys to eat. Very very thin 'because the ladies like abs'. My 1yo girl is the only one of normal weight. Funny story, I've been trying to teach them the IIFYM idea and explaining the different macros/need for/purpose/balance etc. because if left to their own, they'd just opt for carbs only. The other day in line at the grocery store, my 8yo boy picks up a KitKat bar and asks, "hey, if I eat all my dinner, can this fit my macros?"

Spank them for not eating...

Inb4NegsForSpankingKids

(notsrs)

I still bust my son's butt when needed

drewbie57
07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I still bust my son's butt when neededGood. Boys need that **** sometimes - as long as they know you truly love them.

ananf72
07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
The 3 boys are bigger than I am. I just disconnect the modem... hurts way worse.

mike201011
07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Disregard abs, acquire mass.

Worry about that $hit later.

illiniStrive
07-29-2011, 09:24 AM
What's even odder is that were a 15 year-old girl to come on with the same types of posts (and it does happen every once and awhile) everyone is quick to be concerned and think ED or OCD and encourage the OP to stop counting calories etc.

Yet that's not always the response teen boys get. Why is that?

mike201011
07-29-2011, 09:36 AM
What's even odder is that were a 15 year-old girl to come on with the same types of posts (and it does happen every once and awhile) everyone is quick to be concerned and think ED or OCD and encourage the OP to stop counting calories etc.

Yet that's not always the response teen boys get. Why is that?

I notice this aswell.
Well I suppose there is alot more males on here than females.

BookMonkey
07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Also they have access to the internet. Back in my day it was all word of mouth from gym-goers. Times change I guess...

And as far as the sexism that illini brought up, you just weren't paying attention to the masses of males that get called out on possible OCD. It happens a lot.

AdamWW
07-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Also they have access to the internet. Back in my day it was all word of mouth from gym-goers. Times change I guess...

And as far as the sexism that illini brought up, you just weren't paying attention to the masses of males that get called out on possible OCD. It happens a lot.

This hits close to home

Bsip
07-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I can understand if they want to gain or lose weight for a sport. I remember in high school I was constantly going back and forth by about 20 lbs - bulking for football and cutting for baseball.

I agree though, it's not a huge deal if you don't need to compete for anything.

xLiddyx
07-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I wish I counted Calories/Macros when I was 15, maybe stopped myself from getting into a mess of 25%+ bf!

I agree it's weird young teens who're about 100lbs worrying about eating too much, but what about the ones who're in genuine need of help that where in the situation that I was?

phal
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I was out playing sports/counter-strike/WoW all day and not worrying about calories ... or work ... or other stuff. Life was good.

adean1989
07-29-2011, 10:52 AM
My parents used to think it was my inactivity that made me chubby. In reality I think sitting down playing video games blunted my appetite as I'd often forget to eat all day... In b4 starvation mode.

TruthandJustice
07-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I've been able to get my brother to come workout with me, as he's a lot younger, 17, but I can't get him to eat because he so worried about abs. He's not built like me at all, he's a stick. He's like 3 inches taller than I am, yet he weighs 70lbs less. I do have some fat to lose, but I couldn't imagine losing 70-90 lbs. I even volunteer to buy AND cook him a big steak and he says no. I've pretty much given up on trying to get him to eat. Maybe I should try hooking him up to an IV while he's sleeping. Is that legal?

psychodiver9
07-29-2011, 11:01 AM
This hits close to home

If the shoe fits

tjwoody
07-29-2011, 11:09 AM
i try to have my son make better choices at times. he went through this thing where he thought he was fat. was about 11yo. i told him not eating was not the answer but i wouldnt force him to eat lunches if he didnt want to. he has something for breakfast and a big dinner. hes on his way to IFing. lol

i do make him come to the gym when i can on saturdays. he will shoot the ball around, do a lil easy cardio then him and i will mess around with some of the machines.

PhiSig2298
07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
If the shoe fits...

Your macros... Eat it

AdamWW
07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
If the shoe fits

Honestly dude, you accuse me of being a Troll, and yet here you are in a thread I didn't even make dishing this stuff out?

Get a life.

NordAK
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't see anything wrong with a younger person wanting to track calories and be healthy. When I was 15 my diet included 2 liters of soda a day and almost no protein... I wish I had known what I know now back then.

workhard9
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Im 17 and I count macros. Gotta stay the same weight for wrestling though

feelsg00dmayne
07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
in on thread. the brain is fairly young at 15 and is probably more prone to EDs.

enjoy your teenage metabolism + dat dere teenage hormones + eat big (with moderation of course) = can't go wrong.

AdamWW
07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
it's a dilemma in the modern world that most teenages either a) eat way too much or b) eat way too little. Healthy relationships with food are hard to find in teens today.

On the one hand, you have teens idolizing skinny celebrities or model, or struggling with emotional problems that cause them to chronically undereat or induce vomiting, etc.

On the other hand, some kids have such poor knowledge about food and self-regulation that they eat to excess and don't exercise (for whatever reason) and then they become overweight or obese.

It's hard to say they shouldn't keep track of nutrition because frankly I think that people who eat far too LITTLE could actually benefit from the knowledge as could those who eat far too much.

I think it's problematic to say JUST because someone is 15 they should just eat-eat-eat (which is the message I am getting some in here) when many teens really SHOULD be eating less.

What we need to strive for is a balance, and you can certainly have a balance while counting calories. In other words, it's not the counting that's thr problem IMO, it's the lack of understanding what the actual numbers should be and how to work with them vs being controlled by them.

NordAK
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
It's hard to say they shouldn't keep track of nutrition because frankly I think that people who eat far too LITTLE could actually benefit from the knowledge as could those who eat far too much.

I think it's problematic to say JUST because someone is 15 they should just eat-eat-eat (which is the message I am getting some in here) when many teens really SHOULD be eating less.

I totally agree. I think that teenage metabolism is largely exaggerated. A lot of teens burn more because they tend to be more active than adults who end up in soul-crusing sedentary desk jobs... but many teens just sit around and play video games all day too.

Teenage obesity is skyrocketing so its obviously possible for teens to get fat if they disregard nutrition and just eat eat eat.

Dup15
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
it's a dilemma in the modern world that most teenages either a) eat way too much or b) eat way too little. Healthy relationships with food are hard to find in teens today.

On the one hand, you have teens idolizing skinny celebrities or model, or struggling with emotional problems that cause them to chronically undereat or induce vomiting, etc.

On the other hand, some kids have such poor knowledge about food and self-regulation that they eat to excess and don't exercise (for whatever reason) and then they become overweight or obese.

What we need to strive for is a balance, and you can certainly have a balance while counting calories. In other words, it's not the counting that's thr problem IMO, it's the lack of understanding what the actual numbers should be and how to work with them vs being controlled by them.

^^ This

psychodiver9
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Honestly dude, you accuse me of being a Troll, and yet here you are in a thread I didn't even make dishing this stuff out?

Get a life.

I never said you were a troll. I think you have some problems you need to take care of and you make stupud threads. If you are not trolling and seriously worried about a weight change in a sweet potato it goes without saying that's a problem

AdamWW
07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I never said you were a troll. I think you have some problems you need to take care of and you make stupud threads. If you are not trolling and seriously worried about a weight change in a sweet potato it goes without saying that's a problem

when did i say i was worried about the weight gain from the potato? saying "hey the potato lost 10% of its weight" is not the same as "it lost 10% and I am worried about the weight i might gain from miscalculating the calories"

TranceIsLove
07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
At age 15 i was binge eating Little Ceasers pizzas.

Tbh, be glad that they are health conscious I guess.

IamJonsCranium
07-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I like when they count almonds.

Today for breakfast I ate two whole eggs, one egg white, and five almonds.

Five almonds.

Five.

NFCFAN1994
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm somewhat older but why is it that only older people can watch their food intake? If you're young you have more potential to gain more muscle mass so it would only be logical to start asap. I started with bodybuilding when I was 12 (my dad encouraged me for foot ball) and I started eating clean when I was 13. No regrets. You can't start too early with sports.

PhiSig2298
07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm somewhat older but why is it that only older people can watch their food intake? If you're young you have more potential to gain more muscle mass so it would only be logical to start asap. I started with bodybuilding when I was 12 (my dad encouraged me for foot ball) and I started eating clean when I was 13. No regrets. You can't start too early with sports.

What does "eating clean" mean?

NFCFAN1994
07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
What does "eating clean" mean?

Clean foods. No fast food or other unhealthy junk food. It has to be packed with protein and vitamins. The general rule if it tastes awesome you probably should spit it out.

Ghosting
07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
if it tastes awesome you probably should spit it out.

/facepalm

Why?

inB4 Scooby1961

AdamWW
07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Clean foods. No fast food or other unhealthy junk food. It has to be packed with protein and vitamins. The general rule if it tastes awesome you probably should spit it out.

Does the opposite also apply: if it tastes like ass then you should gobble it up? I have a hard time understanding that