PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to this or just bro talk?

djsaad1
07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Overheard a conversation today. One guy was trying to get under 10% bf and lose as much water weight as possible. So the other guy tells him to go on a low carb diet with carb refeeds.

His point was that he will lose water weight when he drops his carbs but sooner or later his body will hold onto the water, once the body does that you do a carb refeed so that the carbs will suck up the water. And then you repeat the process again.

I have never heard of that before, is there any truth to it?

schabowy90
07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Well its not necessary to stay low carb but its kinda right. What you describe is basically the whoosh effect. Weight loss Def comes in waves. Don't get discouraged if u even gain weight on a cut. It'll drop suddenly. So its technically right but it'll happen, regardless of if ur on a low carb diet or moderate carb etc.

saw7988
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Sounds pretty much right to me. I believe carbs are what cause water retention. Often times true fat loss is masked at the beginning of low carb diets because water weight is quickly dropped in the initial period of the diet.

fad3d
07-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Carb cycling isnt useful or necessary until you start getting close to single digits (from everything I've read, Im not there yet). So unless you are trying to get below 10 or 11%, just stick to the standard weight loss protocol

Dujin77
07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
When carbohydrates are converted to glycogen and stored they are also stored with water. So lower your carbs will lower your total glycogen and thus decrease your water weight. Your body will also retain water when it feels it is not getting enough or does not have enough in reserve. So i don't see how this is outside the realm of possibility but I can't give you a definite answer on it.