PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one here who can't figure out his maintenance after trying for months?

AnchorNut
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
I have been trying to wanted to figure out my maintenance for a while. I've rigorously tracked my calories and weight over a long period in order to figure it out, but I just can't make sense of it.

(I'm 5'8", 27, 150 lbs. I'm somewhat ectomorphic and I think that I have a fast metabolism.)

So, for a while, I ate 1900 calories per day on a cut. I lost about 1.5 pounds per week. I was a good deal fatter then, maybe 160-170 lbs. This implies a maintenance of about ~2700.

Then, I tried maintaining on my guessed maintenance of 2700 calories. I was on this intake for about a month, and I found that I was still losing weight, albeit slowly (maybe lost about 2 pounds over this period). This implies a maintenance of about ~3000.

Then, I went on a slightly more aggressive cut for a while, eating about 2000 calories per day and doing 1 to 2 hours of cardio each day (the cardio probably burned about 700-800 calories on average). I lost weight only at a rate of about a pound per week. This implies a maintenance of around 1800, which is really low.

I've got no idea what to make of any of it, and it makes it really hard to plan an adequate recomp diet, or even a maintenance diet.

Any tips on how to better figure it out would be appreciated.

Lvisaa2
07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I have been trying to wanted to figure out my maintenance for a while. I've rigorously tracked my calories and weight over a long period in order to figure it out, but I just can't make sense of it.

(I'm 5'8", 27, 150 lbs. I'm somewhat ectomorphic and I think that I have a fast metabolism.)

So, for a while, I ate 1900 calories per day on a cut. I lost about 1.5 pounds per week. I was a good deal fatter then, maybe 160-170 lbs. This implies a maintenance of about ~2700.

Then, I tried maintaining on my guessed maintenance of 2700 calories. I was on this intake for about a month, and I found that I was still losing weight, albeit slowly (maybe lost about 2 pounds over this period). This implies a maintenance of about ~3000.

Then, I went on a slightly more aggressive cut for a while, eating about 2000 calories per day and doing 1 to 2 hours of cardio each day (the cardio probably burned about 700-800 calories on average). I lost weight only at a rate of about a pound per week. This implies a maintenance of around 1800, which is really low.

I've got no idea what to make of any of it, and it makes it really hard to plan an adequate recomp diet, or even a maintenance diet.

Any tips on how to better figure it out would be appreciated.

Your maintenance will fluctuate with your activity level, keep a consistent activity level and then track your results. Try for 2-3 weeks, if you gain/lose then adjust accordingly. By drastically changing your activity level, it is skewing what your maintenance is.

sunchienlee
Your body doesn't work on EXACT math. If you are planning on a recomp, just slowly increase your calories to the point when you are not gaining or losing weight consistently anymore (water fluctuation will still be present).

bigcrayon
That cut was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too aggressive.

Edit: I'm not very enlightened on this topic but from what I've heard when you eat so drastically below your TDE your body goes into some sort of starvation mode.

Yeah though ,you were eating about 50% your TDE =\.

mchalupny
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
It takes some time man. I found my approximate maintenance after about three weeks of checking the scale every few days and making adjustments. Like someone said before in this thread, there will always be fluctuations due to water. But you'll get it, just keep checking it and adjust accordingly.

ebaum
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Slowly increase cals until you no longer lose or gain weight (2-3 week period). It sounds like you have only tried to calculate a theoretical maintenance based on varying caloric deficits. Also, if you were progressively losing weight than your maintenance would have changed to reflect this weight loss.

AnchorNut
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Your maintenance will fluctuate with your activity level, keep a consistent activity level and then track your results. Try for 2-3 weeks, if you gain/lose then adjust accordingly. By drastically changing your activity level, it is skewing what your maintenance is.

I know that it depends on activity (that's why I discussed my activity levels). My activity levels were the same for all of those, except for the part where I noted that I added in cardio. But that seemed to LOWER my maintenance, which makes even less sense.

So, I've already done that, and I still reached those weird contradictory conclusions.

I ate 1900 for a month with no activity outside of 3x week weights, and lost about 1.5 pounds per week.

I ate 2700 for a month with no activity outside of 3x week weights, and lost about .5 pounds per week.

I ate 2000 for a month with lots of activity (1-2 hours of medium intensity cardio daily) and 3x week weights, and lost about 1 pound a week.

I can't make sense of that. The first suggests my maintenance is about 2700, the second suggests it is much higher, and the third suggests it is much lower.

MakeABanana
07-26-2011, 03:29 PM
I know that it depends on activity (that's why I discussed my activity levels). My activity levels were the same for all of those, except for the part where I noted that I added in cardio. But that seemed to LOWER my maintenance, which makes even less sense.

So, I've already done that, and I still reached those weird contradictory conclusions.

I ate 1900 for a month with no activity outside of 3x week weights, and lost about 1.5 pounds per week.

I ate 2700 for a month with no activity outside of 3x week weights, and lost about .5 pounds per week.

I ate 2000 for a month with lots of activity (1-2 hours of medium intensity cardio daily) and 3x week weights, and lost about 1 pound a week.

I can't make sense of that. The first suggests my maintenance is about 2700, the second suggests it is much higher, and the third suggests it is much lower.

What about any possible changes in diet? Also, were you doing all these cuts consecutively? How many carbs were you consuming? It's possible that you lost a lot of water weight in the first month of cutting if you were cutting carbs.

Sometimes metabolism can be wonky. I, for example, am trying to figure out why my maintenance jumped by 500+ Calories, from 2500 to 3200-3300, even though I actually cut down my activities (less basketball). I counted my calories aggressive out of curiosity, and it has left me scratching my head.

psychodiver9
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
So clearly your maint is higher than 2700. Eat more

AnchorNut
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
So clearly your maint is higher than 2700. Eat more

For the past week I've been eating about 2700 (again). So far, my weight hasn't moved beyond the typical +/- 1 pound daily fluctuation, so I'm gonna keep this up for another week or so...

What about any possible changes in diet? Also, were you doing all these cuts consecutively? How many carbs were you consuming? It's possible that you lost a lot of water weight in the first month of cutting if you were cutting carbs.

Sometimes metabolism can be wonky. I, for example, am trying to figure out why my maintenance jumped by 500+ Calories, from 2500 to 3200-3300, even though I actually cut down my activities (less basketball). I counted my calories aggressive out of curiosity, and it has left me scratching my head.

Diet was the same. I don't count carbs, but I consume a moderate amount...

Yeah, it seemed like my maintenance went down with cardio, too!

But that makes NO sense. If I'm losing weight (albeit extremely slowly) on 2700 calories per day, then 2000 with a ton of cardio (probably burned 700-800 calories on average) should have resulted in a much greater loss than 1 lb per week. My weight was not different during those two instances, either - it was within a few pounds of 150 each time.

fryguy22
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
eating about 2000 calories per day and doing 1 to 2 hours of cardio each day (the cardio probably burned about 700-800 calories on average). I lost weight only at a rate of about a pound per week. This implies a maintenance of around 1800, which is really low.

Question: If you were eating 2000kcal/day and losing 1lb/week....how does that imply a maintenance of around 1800? Doesn't it imply a maintenance of 2,500? :confused:

sawoobley
07-27-2011, 12:22 AM

@ 1900 you were probably ~750 calorie deficit
@2700 you were ~250 calorie deficit
@ 2000 + cardio and weight lifting you far exceeded a 750 calorie deficit. At this point your calorie deficit becomes too large and your body starts making adjustments. Weight loss can slow and even stop. It is not healthy to have such a large deficit unless your extremely obese.

Give or take with some error in calorie counting, variance in activity each day, etc.

That's my take.