PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off! Hard to eat during work! Help!

NJSerious
06-14-2003, 06:05 PM
So I just got a new job valeting for the summer. it pays amazing, I made over 80 dollars in tips just today, not counting the 9 dollar paycheck. Anywho, I worked from 6:30 until 3pm, I had a huge breakfast with lots of protein at 6ish, went to work, became hungry around 10:30-11ish, it was so busy that my boss wouldnt allow a break until it got slower, which was at 2!!!!! I was hungry and dehydrated, not to mention in a PANIC that I was getting smaller by the minute. Has this situation happened to anyone ? I am thinking that I should bring a couple protein bars and usually ill be able to take my lunch break earlier, around 11:30-12 and I can sneak a power bar and chug a glass of milk or something maybe sneak some tuna in between 630 and lunch time. However, I still get more meals in now that I started work then when I originally did not working and waking up at 2pm everyday. So do you guys think I will lose weight even though Im getting more meals in but that horrible gap in between 630am - 1 or 2 if it ever happens again ? (god forbid) Im nervous guys help :)

Bigmang
06-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm kinda curious about this too. I'd really like to know how the body reacts to gaps in between meals like this.

Like maybe you still get 5-6 meals in a day, but it's that one 6-7 hour gap in between???? How does that affect your body???

Nevermore
06-14-2003, 09:31 PM
I can relate to ya man for sure. Today was a perfect example. Last night as I was about to fall asleep, all of sudden i had to throw up from eating way too much cause I'm trying so hard to bulk up. When I woke up, my stomach felt really weird and I couldn't eat much. Then I had to work from 9-5, and I had a lunch break and two small breaks, but I still could not eat very much. I felt like the past week of force feeding myself constantly was going to waste in one day. I've had so many days like this where things just complicate my diet.

We're only human...sometimes there are just no way around things. I say just eat whatever you can, whenever you can. Just do the best you can and that's all you can ask of yourself.

It sounds like you and me are the same...we put way too much pressure on ourselves. I know if I could relax a little and relieve some of this stress, I could probably get much better gains.

ZeroGee
06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Gentlemen,

If you want to be able to maintain your healthy lifestyle for months on end (and not the week or two you've been doing this), you need to come to grips with the fact that things don't always go as planned.

You'll miss a meal here or there -- hell, there might be a couple days where you can only eat three times. Other times, while cutting, you might get uncontrollable cravings and eat above your maintenance level.

That's the whole point of "cheat days." I rarely ever cheat, but if I'm out with friends (like this past weekend, at a bachelor party), and I'm at a restaurant where things aren't as healthy as I'd like, I don't sit there and complain and starve. Instead, I eat something that's a bit high in sugar and fat, and remain happy and socialable.

If you want to achieve great gains, both in lean muscle mass and a loss of fat, you need to practice a good dietary regimen for months, not days. You're human. In order to make those months possible, live a little in the process.

ZG

Bigmang
06-14-2003, 11:40 PM
So, what you're saying is that if it's not a constant thing, then it shouldn't really be that much of a burden in our diets, right???

wildman536
06-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Juat take some Bars to Work and Throw them Down Quick!!

Dave2003
06-15-2003, 07:47 AM
I would suggest you take during the morning and the afternoon some BCAA and glutamine capsules or tables, with some B6 vitamin, and water or some water and apple juice (from a fridge).

on top of 3meals and 2 protein shakes once you come home if you have a busy day all day.

BCAA and glutamine will help use glycogen and fat stores being used and save muscles, and help maintaining nitrogen balance.

some capsules like 6BCAA and 3 gluta in the morning and the same in the afternoon.

Cardinal
06-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Bigmang
I'm kinda curious about this too. I'd really like to know how the body reacts to gaps in between meals like this.

Like maybe you still get 5-6 meals in a day, but it's that one 6-7 hour gap in between???? How does that affect your body???

I have tried going as little as 3-4 hours once a day without food in an active job for a couple of weeks and I lost a fair amount of strength even as an endo. I am thinking you burn a lot more calories during times like this than you think.

Part of me was hoping that I would just burn more fat during this time and lose little muscle...well that didn't happen really.

If you think about it, it is a reasonable idea to consume many/most of your calories at times when you are most active. It doesn't make much sense to me to leave a 6-7 hour gap and then fill up when you are done working. It seems to me like you would be encouraging fat gain and muscle loss, even in a eucaloric/hypercaloric state.

When your body needs energy it must get it from somewhere. Going 6-7 hours without eating doesn't give your body any reason to spare muscle tissue over fat imo. I think it is pretty simple from a metabolic standpoint as muscle is more expensive for the body to maintain than fat.

Slayer666
06-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Get some Designer Whey Time Released Protein and drink a shake before work. Also, eat a good amount of complex carbs before work and it should help keep you full. Your body will get used to it.