PDA

View Full Version : How long to adjust to IF?

07-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Today is my 5th day on IF and I am still very hungry during the day. How long did it take you to adjust? I've run Keto before and it took me only 3-4 days to adjust to life sans carbs. I've also had a lot of trouble getting in ~1800 calories between 6pm-10pm every night. It is hard to do, especially to ensure my protein is up. Do you find that you can eat "worse" foods during IF?

waatsgood
07-01-2011, 07:54 AM
- Took me a little bit less than 2 weeks to get used to IF when I did it.
- If you're struggling to get the cals in, open the feeding time a few more hours
- By worse foods I'm assuming "junky" kind of foods. I do every day any way since it fits my macros, but I felt with IF it helped with satiety after eating these kinds of foods since I would be eating a lot of other food at the same time

If its been more than 2 weeks and you still cant get used to it, simply dont do IF anymore. It isn't for everyone.

07-01-2011, 07:59 AM
- Took me a little bit less than 2 weeks to get used to IF when I did it.
- If you're struggling to get the cals in, open the feeding time a few more hours
- By worse foods I'm assuming "junky" kind of foods. I do every day any way since it fits my macros, but I felt with IF it helped with satiety after eating these kinds of foods since I would be eating a lot of other food at the same time

If its been more than 2 weeks and you still cant get used to it, simply dont do IF anymore. It isn't for everyone.

How good were your results on IF vs. other things you tried?

mike201011
07-01-2011, 08:00 AM

The results would be the same. It is overall daily macros and calories that matter. No 'diet' is superior.

Satiety is another thing, which IF is good for.

Christiffer
07-01-2011, 08:02 AM
IF doesn't offer any magical benefits. The only benefit is if it helps you stick to your diet and in turn reach your goals faster.

waatsgood
07-01-2011, 08:15 AM

The results would be the same. It is overall daily macros and calories that matter. No 'diet' is superior.

Satiety is another thing, which IF is good for.

^What he said

But just like I said, IF isnt for everyone and after a while I realized it wasnt for me. It made me become obsessive about food and most of my fasting period was just thinking about eating so I eventually stopped it.

gravite
07-01-2011, 08:30 AM
hey guys dumb question is IF short for IIFYM?

dhhampto
07-01-2011, 08:33 AM

IF stands for intermittent fasting, and IIFYM stands for if it fits your macros.

IF is basically 16 hours of fasting followed by 8 hours of a feeding window. Do some research for lean gains and see if its for you.

waatsgood
07-01-2011, 08:33 AM

lol no
IF=intermittent fasting
IIFYM= if it fits your macros

gravite
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
lol no
IF=intermittent fasting
IIFYM= if it fits your macros

Oh alright

mtruitt76
07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I adjust to IF pretty easily. After 2-3 days I didn't really notice any hunger pangs. I also don't have any problems with 50% of my cals being in my last meal, in fact eating a very large meal after I get home from my workouts is my favorite aspect of IF.

waatsgood
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh alright

yea, but most importanty, IIFYM isnt a diet, rather just using some common sense

Bout2break69
07-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Today is my 5th day on IF and I am still very hungry during the day. How long did it take you to adjust? I've run Keto before and it took me only 3-4 days to adjust to life sans carbs. I've also had a lot of trouble getting in ~1800 calories between 6pm-10pm every night. It is hard to do, especially to ensure my protein is up. Do you find that you can eat "worse" foods during IF?

If your hungry during the day but still finding it hard to get in 1800 calories at night then why dont you just eat more during the day. I know on leangains.com martin said something like the standard to go by is eat 25% of your calories during meal 1, 25% during meal 2, and 50% during meal 3. I may be backwards on this since i havnt read it in a while but my point is he also said you can work it around what works best for you, you dont have to follow it that way exactly. So try eating most of your calories during the time your hungry so you have less to eat betwewn the times you mentioned. Oh and it took me 2 weeks apporximately to get used to IF

lakerzfan07
07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't know why, but since IF'ing i don't really crave those tasty cakes n pies anymore!

07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
But what is preferred... Eating more calories in a shorter period of time (thereby extending the fast) or breaking up the meals over a longer period of time (shorter fast)? I also don't workout until around 7:30pm each night so I don't want to be eating in the middle of the day and then workout at 7:30pm.

coloBB
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I gave it 3 weeks.... not for me. I needed some fuel pre workout. And I loves my breakfast!:)

That being said it seems to work well for others.

CPTKCP
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Just throwin' this out there: you don't have to IF every day. You might find it easier to ease up and have some normal days in there if that fits your schedule better

AlwaysTryin
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Just throwin' this out there: you don't have to IF every day. You might find it easier to ease up and have some normal days in there if that fits your schedule better

Exactly

I gave it 3 weeks.... not for me. I needed some fuel pre workout. And I loves my breakfast!:)

That being said it seems to work well for others.

Exactly again, personal choice! Good to see!

I IF some days don't others. I don't follow a "protocol" and just do as I please, usually being a 22+ fast when I do with no BCAAs etc

Tybalt71
07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I like the IF plan, I think in the 8 hour feeding window if allows you to be flexible whether you eat your daily caloric intake in 1, 3, 6, meals etc, one day i can chose to eat one meal and next day eat it as 3 meals if i like .-Ty

AlwaysTryin
07-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I like the IF plan, I think in the 8 hour feeding window if allows you to be flexible whether you eat your daily caloric intake in 1, 3, 6, meals etc, one day i can chose to eat one meal and next day eat it as 3 meals if i like .-Ty

It's no different to eating in 10 hours either.... You seem to think it is

zhall616
07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
yea, but most importanty, IIFYM isnt a diet, rather just using some common sense

if only more people would realize this... lol

kathrin_
07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
i took me a few days, not longer than a week. I eat one meal, usually around 8-9 pm.

Tybalt71
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
It's no different to eating in 10 hours either.... You seem to think it is

Just know the IF* program is 16 hours fasting and 8 hour window to feed, Ummm 10 would be outside the allowable window-Ty hence following the IF principles

Lvisaa2
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Just know the IF* program is 16 hours fasting and 8 hour window to feed, Ummm 10 would be outside the allowable window-Ty hence following the IF principles

Actually, that's the leangain's principles. Intermittent fasting is just what the name suggests. Leangains is a specific type of IF.

Also, I think AlwaysTrying was saying that you could eat 1, 3, or 6 meals whether you use IF or not.

jimsmith9999
07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
But what is preferred... Eating more calories in a shorter period of time (thereby extending the fast) or breaking up the meals over a longer period of time (shorter fast)? I also don't workout until around 7:30pm each night so I don't want to be eating in the middle of the day and then workout at 7:30pm.

What is preferred is which ever way makes it easiest for you to follow. There is no magic to IF, it just makes it easier for some to stick to a diet.

Personally, I stick to Martins recommendations - 16 hours fasted, 8 hours fed.

jimsmith9999
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Nothing wrong with doing this, but it might be harder in the long run. Your body will tend to adapt to whatever your feeding schedule is. I know Martin recommends sticking the same meal times for this reason.

AlwaysTryin
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM

What I'm saying is he could fast 14 hours and eat 10 and it's no difference.

You are making it sound like it's magical, it's just skipping breakfast for most people.

schabowy90
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Today was day one for me. Absolutely love it.

Tybalt71
07-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Actually, that's the leangain's principles. Intermittent fasting is just what the name suggests. Leangains is a specific type of IF.

Also, I think AlwaysTrying was saying that you could eat 1, 3, or 6 meals whether you use IF or not.
Thanks sorry i should have clarified. Yeah meant to say on the IF* a protocol of 16(8) from leangains and yeah I know of the WarriorDiet(20/4), ADF(36/12), Eat/Stop/Eat(24hr 1-2/days/wk), The Fast5 Diet(19/5) which all incorporate Intermittent fasting concepts which i find all of them appealing just that LG seeem to be a better fit in my daily routine. I think more then the feeding as well for me the training fasted seems to be the real intrigue and yes i guess on any one of those you can do training fasted on-Cheers-Ty