PDA

View Full Version : Is White pasta good for post workout?

sixpackman
06-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Hello im on my way to reducing body fat.. ive lost fat already in the last 3 weeks.. but unfortunetaly im on a very tight budget now, and i have to have at least 1 meal which includes pasta...

I was hoping that my post workout meal could include white pasta + Whey Protein Shake ON.

What do you think? will i still lose fat or not?

snorkelman
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/killergluestick/thats_racist.gif

WonderPug
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Do you know that you'll get no special benefit from that protein shake?
Do you know that meal timing and frequency are largely irrelevant?
Do you know that it's daily total nutrition that matters and not one meal?
Do you know that specific food choices are not what determine the diet's contribution to bodyweight and composition?
Do you know that there are stickies that cover these issues?
Do you know that there's a search function on this website that allows you to discover 18,329 nearly identical threads to yours?

Chuck2600
06-30-2011, 07:54 AM
In on last page

Shrederator
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
You can sub the white pasta for dextrose in your protein shake because they have the same insulin-spiking capabilities.

pinballmap
06-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Do you know that specific food choices are not what determine the diet's contribution to...composition?

What?

otterakl
You can sub the white pasta for dextrose in your protein shake because they have the same insulin-spiking capabilities.

O Shred don't do that to the poor kid. He is already so clearly unaware. LOL

then i wont subsitute it.. will my body store fat again then?

I told you so...

VincentiT
Total calorie intake > food choices (assuming macro/micro sufficiency)

sixpackman

Shrederator
06-30-2011, 07:58 AM

No.

WonderPug
06-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Do you know that specific food choices are not what determine the diet's contribution to bodyweight and composition?

What?
Are you trying to ask a question?

FYI: what I posted is correct. Specific food choices are not relevant. It's total daily nutrition that is highly relevant.

pinballmap
06-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Are you trying to ask a question?

FYI: what I posted is correct. Specific food choices are not relevant. It's total daily nutrition that is highly relevant.

Misinterpreted what you said earlier but that clarified it. Alrighty then.

desslok
06-30-2011, 08:09 AM
You have 20 minutes to read the stickies, make your time.

ShiftR188
06-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Try substituting white pasta with whole wheat. It tastes great and has healthier properties such as higher fiber and protein.

Shrederator
06-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Try substituting white pasta with whole wheat. It tastes great and has healthier properties such as higher fiber and protein.

http://www.unpaidyouthpastor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2009-08-19-HmmmHP.jpeg

WonderPug
06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Try substituting white pasta with whole wheat.

Try substituting posting with research and learning.

msmartsmart
06-30-2011, 08:40 AM

I would expect something like this from Shred or Ghosting. You've been hanging around them too long. Lol!

snorkelman
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Are you able to please explain how whole wheat pasta is different from durum semolina.

Once you undertake this exercise, you may have your outlook broadened.

drewbie57
06-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Pasta is probably a farther stretch, but isn't that is the case between all purpose flour and whole-grain wheat flour? Well, at least that website believes so. Can't really comment if it's that accurate.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5821/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5744/2

Either way, probably not a huge deal if you get a lot of other vegetables and fruits in your diet to make the difference up between the two if you can't stand whole wheat flour.

06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
There is no reason why it should stop you losing fat. Certainly the only time I would consider eating white pasta is around workout time. A lot of guys seem to be taking the IIFYM thing too far. Yes carbs, fat and protein all provide energy but our bodies are not as straightforward as a duel-fuel cars. Carbs, protein and fat are used for different purposes in our bodies. I get the impression that some people believe there would be nothing wrong with eating all the protein for breakfast, all the fat for lunch and all the carbs for dinner. I will stick to concentrating carbs around workout times, and keeping protein consistent throughout the day.

At the end of the day, trial things like your white pasta and see how the body reacts. If you go two weeks and don't lose the weight you expected then you'll know better, and its only 2 weeks.

otterakl
06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
There is no reason why it should stop you losing fat. Certainly the only time I would consider eating white pasta is around workout time. A lot of guys seem to be taking the IIFYM thing too far. Yes carbs, fat and protein all provide energy but our bodies are not as straightforward as a duel-fuel cars. Carbs, protein and fat are used for different purposes in our bodies. I get the impression that some people believe there would be nothing wrong with eating all the protein for breakfast, all the fat for lunch and all the carbs for dinner. I will stick to concentrating carbs around workout times, and keeping protein consistent throughout the day.

At the end of the day, trial things like your white pasta and see how the body reacts. If you go two weeks and don't lose the weight you expected then you'll know better, and its only 2 weeks.

http://xkcd.com/store/science_shirt_front_thumb.png

snorkelman
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Certainly the only time I would consider eating white pasta is around workout time. A lot of guys seem to be taking the IIFYM thing too far.

^^ Unnecessary restrictions you impose upon yourself.

Also, I have never seen anyone who successfully follows IIFYM encourage food separation as you imply with your post.

Ozo nasty
06-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by 3030545
Certainly the only time I would consider eating white pasta is around workout time. A lot of guys seem to be taking the IIFYM thing too far.

Wholy sh@@@@@t!!

MikeK46
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I get the impression that some people believe there would be nothing wrong with eating all the protein for breakfast, all the fat for lunch and all the carbs for dinner. I will stick to concentrating carbs around workout times, and keeping protein consistent throughout the day.

I get the impression you've not yet realized the difference between the following concepts:
1. energy level (preferential, may be influenced by nutrient timing)
2. body composition (macros, not influenced by timing)
3. overall health (micros, not influenced by timing)

As you can see, nutrient timing influences neither body composition nor overall health, although it may be a factor for energy levels.

06-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Each to their own. If your energy level is not influenced by nutrient timing then good for you. Mine certainly is.

AnnieOlson
07-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Hello im on my way to reducing body fat.. ive lost fat already in the last 3 weeks.. but unfortunetaly im on a very tight budget now, and i have to have at least 1 meal which includes pasta...

I was hoping that my post workout meal could include white pasta + Whey Protein Shake ON.

What do you think? will i still lose fat or not?

does it fit your macros? then yes.

in fact, i eat ramen a lot and i'm consistently losing body fat :D

WonderPug
07-01-2011, 02:15 AM
I get the impression that some people believe there would be nothing wrong with eating all the protein for breakfast, all the fat for lunch and all the carbs for dinner.

Please cite any respected poster that ever implied something that idiotic?

And please explain what foods someone could eat to accomplish that?

Now do you see why your post is moronic?

07-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Please cite any respected poster that ever implied something that idiotic?

I think you misread my "some people" as "respected posters".

And please explain what foods someone could eat to accomplish that?

It could be done. Its hypothetical and I'm not going to waste my time. Let's not pretend like you would care anyway.

Now do you see why your post is moronic?

No. You can keep patting yourself on the back and squealing "BROSCIENCE" everytime someone dares to question your current way of thinking. I'm throwing my towel in with the guys with the PhDs, you can stick with your circlejerk of the month.

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing
Chad Kerksick, Travis Harvey, Jeff Stout, Bill Campbell, Colin Wilborn, Richard Kreider, Doug Kalman, Tim Ziegenfuss, Hector Lopez and Jamie Landis, et al.
Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
Volume 5, Number 1, 17

www(dot)springerlink(dot)com/content/p0vw6407657wn747/fulltext.pdf

snorkelman
07-01-2011, 05:24 AM
3030545, before you throw in the towel, if you have an open mind, you may appreciate reading an objective critique of the ISSN Position Stand on meal frequency that Alan Aragon wrote, which is posted on Martin Berkhan's website:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

Ajaro
07-01-2011, 07:15 AM
3030545, before you throw in the towel, if you have an open mind, you may appreciate reading an objective critique of the ISSN Position Stand on meal frequency that Alan Aragon wrote, which is posted on Martin Berkhan's website:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

and /thread

Shrederator
07-01-2011, 07:44 AM
and /thread

Nope!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100706170420/mk/images/a/a0/Mk3-toasty.png

Whoopsie!