PDA

View Full Version : The Zig Zag diet..Does it really work or is it just broscience?

lauhpurush
06-29-2011, 01:13 PM
My maintenance: 2500 cals
Goals: to lose fat/weight maintaining/gaining strength muscle as much as I can

Following is what I prepared for myself:

Sat: 1400 cals [20 gram carbs] (No carb day)
Sun: 2000 cals [140 gram carbs] (low carb day) Workout Day
Mon: 3000 cals (Cheat day) Workout Day
Tue: 1400 cals - Repeat No carb day
Wed: 2000 cals- Repeat Low carb day Workout Day
Thu: 1400 cals- Repeat No carb day
Fri: 2700 cals [300+ carbs] (Medium Carb day) Workout Day

The idea is to eat above maintenance or close to maintenance on workout days and go low on non workout days.

Anybody tried this? Does this really work?
Any help will be very much appreciated

bbavender
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
You sir would effectively be spinning your wheels

WonderPug
If your average caloric intake is below average TDEE, then you'll lose weight.
If your average caloric intake is above average TDEE, then you'll gain weight.
If your average caloric intake is equal to average TDEE, then you'll maintain weight.

mike201011
Zig zag diets dont work out unless you end up in a surpluss at the end of the week.(Bulk, and vice versa for a cut)

otterakl
06-29-2011, 01:16 PM
That averages out to 1,985 calories per day for the week. Just eat that every day.

/thread

ErickStevens
06-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks like the Fisher Price version of UD 2.0

lauhpurush
06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
You sir would effectively be spinning your wheels

:confused:

If your average caloric intake is below average TDEE, then you'll lose weight.

you mean the average caloric intake for the week right? damn me, I never thought of it like this, it makes so much sense :D

And how is TDEE different from maintenance? unaware
I guess I need to do a bit of reading on what TDEE is

lauhpurush
06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
That averages out to 1,985 calories per day for the week. Just eat that every day.

/thread

so you mean to say that carb cycling/zig zagging the calories holds no benefit over eating just the same calories everyday?

strong unaware

WonderPug
06-29-2011, 01:25 PM

It's like the Weight Watchers version of UD 2.0, if Weight Watchers was acquired by Jenny Craig, which was subsequently acquired by Fisher Price.

And how is TDEE different from maintenance? unaware

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is your maintenance intake.

otterakl
06-29-2011, 01:27 PM
so you mean to say that carb cycling/zig zagging the calories holds no benefit over eating just the same calories everyday?

Minimal at best. I know others have seen improved results when they were trying to get into single digit BF%. Beyond that, I believe it is more hassle than it's worth.

tnthudson
06-29-2011, 01:29 PM
OK I'm in. Tom Venuto has a similar model in his BFFM. Less erratic, it's more like 3 days at your cut level, then a day at maintenance, to avoid going into 'starvation' mode. Any thoughts on that? thanks

WonderPug
06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
...to avoid going into 'starvation' mode. Any thoughts on that?

What's "starvation mode" and how exactly do I activate it?

otterakl
06-29-2011, 01:33 PM

I think you need a cheat code.

lauhpurush
06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
It's like the Weight Watchers version of UD 2.0, if Weight Watchers was acquired by Jenny Craig, which was subsequently acquired by Fisher Price.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is your maintenance intake.

Thanks!
One last question..Do you find the zigzag/UD 2.0/carb cycling diets even slightly beneficial over the conventional method of eating below TDEE everyday, when talking about long term goals.

Better put, at the end of 8 weeks do you think the conventional and zig zag diet will produce the same results in terms of body recomposition, pounds lost and appearance?

I just like more energy on my workout days and somehow I find eating above maintenance/close to maintenance on the workout days better than eating below maintenance and since I don't really exercise on the non workout days, staying 500 cals below TDEE doesn't really matter to me.

mike201011
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I think you need a cheat code.

Up down, up down, left right, right left, x, o.

^^^ I think that it.

ErickStevens
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Up down, up down, left right, right left, x, o.

^^^ I think that it.

You know how I know you're not as old as me?

Up up down down left right left right B A Start.

Lvisaa2
06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks!
One last question..Do you find the zigzag/UD 2.0/carb cycling diets even slightly beneficial over the conventional method of eating below TDEE everyday, when talking about long term goals.

Better put, at the end of 8 weeks do you think the conventional and zig zag diet will produce the same results in terms of body recomposition, pounds lost and appearance?

I just like more energy on my workout days and somehow I find eating above maintenance/close to maintenance on the workout days better than eating below maintenance and since I don't really exercise on the non workout days, staying 500 cals below TDEE doesn't really matter to me.

The only difference would be based upon personal preference, but it has not inherent advantage. If it did then everyone would do it.

fad3d
06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
One of the best meme's out there is along the lines of "Cant remember girlfriends birthday...still remember Contra cheat code."

SumDumGoi
06-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start?

or

007 373 5963

SumDumGoi
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
You know how I know you're not as old as me?

Up up down down left right left right B A Start.

Crap, you beat me to it. But can you guess my second code?

DeathTaco
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
keysersoze <# of calories you wish to cut in the day>

ErickStevens
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
crap, you beat me to it. But can you guess my second code?

Justin Bailey?