PDA

View Full Version : Cheating calores, cheat days

MIsMelissa
06-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry if this topic is redundant, I'm brand spanking new to the forums and this is my first thread.

I just want to know your guys opinions on going out of your diet, if you have a certain amount of "cheat calories" or even a "cheat day?"

I try to eat pretty clean, but have a hard time resisting certain things, like a piece of chocolate or a couple of fries. Every day I'd say I eat about 100-200 calories if non-clean food and am wondering if this is really detrimental to my goals?

I do cardio 6-7 days a weeks for 40-60 minutes, mixed with resistance and weight training. I'm trying to get a six pack/cut some extra fat and know that eating clean is a huge deal in order to achieve this, I just don't know to what extremes I need to get there. You're information and opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

phal
06-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd give http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471 a good look over.

That much cardio per week is a wee excessive but it could just be a matter of preference, assuming nutrition is adequate.

Eating 'clean' is seen as taboo around here, you don't need to go to any extremes to reach your goal.

inb4definecleanfood****storm

HunterCML
06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
The OP is right. Clean eating is important. I would never eat anything with dirt on it. Probably tons of bacteria and stuff.

yieldtonothing
06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
a) read the stickies
b) cheat meal once a week is more than ok if you're trying to lose weight (provided you're eating at a deficit the other 6 days)
c) forget about "clean" food. eat your fruits and veggies, hit your macros, and if you can squeeze cookies, cake, candy bars, booze etc into you macros and feel the desire to do so, go for it

TPugs
06-28-2011, 11:58 PM
If by eating those 100-200 calories extra, you have not gone over your Total Energy Expenditure (TEE) for the day, then as a net effect you will not store fat.

To work out your TEE read the first post in this sticky (will take you 15mins and answer most of your questions): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

If you intend on losing weight then eat under your TEE.

About as simple as I can paraphrase it.

psychodiver9
06-29-2011, 04:47 AM
The OP is right. Clean eating is important. I would never eat anything with dirt on it. Probably tons of bacteria and stuff.
Pff 5 second rule. 10 depending on what it is. Though with my dogs gigot doubtful it stays on the ground that long.

mike201011
06-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Pff 5 second rule. 10 depending on what it is. Though with my dogs gigot doubtful it stays on the ground that long.

I do the mold rule, if I drop some food unknowingly and a few days later I see it and it has no mold on it, profit.

sweethunibabi
06-29-2011, 05:18 AM
What really matters is how you do as a whole. One day of "extra" calories doesn't matter in the long run. For instance, it was my birthday this past weekend, so I drank excessively (understatement). However, I forced myself to go to the gym both Friday and Saturday as well as pushing myself a little harder yesterday. Did I weigh myself yesterday or today? Absolutely not. People often weigh after a larger than normal or "cheat" meal...and freak out over a water weight/retention "gain" on the scale.

Why not try fitting that chocolate cake or those fries into your daily needs? I do that. I often find that I'm more satisfied with a small portion of something I really want than some enormous serving of a fake out (ie baked chips vs real potato chips). Just my 2cents.

Jukia5880
06-29-2011, 05:20 AM
I try to eat pretty clean, but have a hard time resisting certain things, like a piece of chocolate or a couple of fries. Every day I'd say I eat about 100-200 calories if non-clean food and am wondering if this is really detrimental to my goals?

Eating something you enjoy profoundly daily will have no affect on your goals, except it will keep you sane!

Get your protein requirements for the day, fat requirements.. after working out your TDEE, use the rest of said calories for whatever you like, me personally i like to mix it up, some oats & banana and then something like ice cream or whatever.. today i'm havin a chocolate mouse, 210cals...

What your doing is fine, if not recommended.