PDA

View Full Version : Dietitian Needed - New To Body Building

jnieckarz
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a good dietitian? I am getting into body building and even after all the research I have done for nutrition, I just want to make sure I am on the right track. I am located in the Albany, NY area. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

John N.

ko300zx
06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
You will be better off seeking help here than hiring someone who will give you out-dated and incorrect information and then ask that you pay for it.

braggable
06-24-2011, 08:38 AM
You will be better off seeking help here than hiring someone who will give you out-dated and incorrect information and then ask that you pay for it.

^This x 1000. Your only payment comes in the form of tolerance of occasional forum criticism.

WonderPug
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Frankly, reading the following threads will likely impart more useful information than going the dietitian route:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

franko man
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
^^Just read the stickies on bodybuilding forum.

Many are making bodybuilding nutrition alot more complicated that it has to be..
Follow the guidelines in the stickies, and enjoy life

WonderPug
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Many are making bodybuilding nutrition alot more complicated that it has to be..
Any a lot less pleasant too...

ironwill2008
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a good dietitian? I am getting into body building and even after all the research I have done for nutrition, I just want to make sure I am on the right track. I am located in the Albany, NY area. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

John N.

There are a few very good online trainer/nutritionists posting on this site. I can't address rates, but could refer you if you're interested in possibly going that route.

jnieckarz
06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I want to thank everyone for the advice so far and I will check out the sites. I have read the stickys a couple times and I will hit those up again.

Thanks,

John N.

jnieckarz
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
There are a few very good online trainer/nutritionists posting on this site. I can't address rates, but could refer you if you're interested in possibly going that route.

Hello,

The sites you were talking about? Would you mind providing those so I can take a look and see if that is the way I want to go?

Thanks,

John N.

ninjaguy717
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
If you don't mind, I would be willing to share what I've learned and has worked for me. I was 240 lbs now I'm down to 179 in less than a year. I had some breaks in between due to family and health issues but got back on track and now focusing on lean gains.

ironwill2008
06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Hello,

The sites you were talking about? Would you mind providing those so I can take a look and see if that is the way I want to go?

Thanks,

John N.

I'd suggest you have a look here:
http://www.iron-kim.com/

Best of luck to you in reaching your goal.

Kieran89
06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
^This x 1000. Your only payment comes in the form of tolerance of occasional forum criticism.

I am studying nutrition and dietetics at uni and this is so true! Most of my lecturers are up to date, some are not. BUT the "other" students in my class are sooooo behind the times. Dead set spend 20minutes reading articles and you can learn more especially if you know what your looking for then going and seeing a dietitian.

moneyrich
06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
what does a dietitian have to do with bodybuilding?

foodandfitness
06-24-2011, 06:28 PM
what does a dietitian have to do with bodybuilding?

Whatever we want to do with it :P

OP, Take it from a RD, that you don't need a RD. The information in these stickies is golden. Start applying that knowledge and post up your questions if you run into trouble.

jnieckarz
06-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Again, I want to thank everyone for all of the advice. I have been reading over the stickeies and have a couple questions. I am currently 295lbs, I want to get down to 280lbs / maybe 275lbs. Right now I have doing a carb/protein/fat split of 40/30/30. Does that seem off? Also, cardio. Everything I read says only three days a week from 20 to 25 minutes. If going by that thought will I see results if I stick with the above diet and only three days a week?

Thank You,

john N.

WonderPug
06-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I have been reading over the stickeies and have a couple questions...Right now I have doing a carb/protein/fat split of 40/30/30.

I guess you didn't actually read the stickies, but just claimed to.

Read the stickies linked to above.

andrerox80
06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I guess you didn't actually read the stickies, but just claimed to.

Read the stickies linked to above.

i can't count the number of times i'm about to say the exact same thing as you and then i read below and, boom, you've already said it.

op, it's true. if you really read the stickies, you'll see percentages are meaningless. and you said nothing abt calories. and where'd you get this cardio "rule" from?

jnieckarz
06-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello,

Okay to try and salvage this post and hopefully make myself not look like such an idiot.

Stats:
H 62
W 295lbs
BF 24%
Lifting Experience 12 Years

Nutrition:
Maintain Weight 5,310 Per Day
RMR 4,874 Per Day
Macronutrients Intake 4,130 Per Day, 361 grams of Protein, 464 grams of Carbs, 91 grams of Fats
Water Intake 150 to 200 ounces

Goals:
W 280lbs
BF 14 to 16%
10 pounds of muscle gain

After re-reading the stickies and putting some concepts together above is what I have been able to come up with. My main goal is reducing my body fat % while putting on some muscle. If you have any suggestions on what I have above please I am all ears. Also, the difference between the calories needed to maintain and the macronutrients needed, what do most people eat for those calories?

Thanks,

John N.

jnieckarz
06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Hello,

Okay to try and salvage this post and hopefully make myself not look like such an idiot.

Stats:
H 62
W 295lbs
BF 24%
Lifting Experience 12 Years

Nutrition:
Maintain Weight 5,310 Per Day
RMR 4,874 Per Day
Macronutrients Intake 4,130 Per Day, 361 grams of Protein, 464 grams of Carbs, 91 grams of Fats
Water Intake 150 to 200 ounces

Goals:
W 280lbs
BF 14 to 16%
10 pounds of muscle gain

After re-reading the stickies and putting some concepts together above is what I have been able to come up with. My main goal is reducing my body fat % while putting on some muscle. If you have any suggestions on what I have above please I am all ears. Also, the difference between the calories needed to maintain and the macronutrients needed, what do most people eat for those calories?

Thanks,

John N.

I forgot to add, I run a three day full body split lifting routine and at least three days of cardio for 25 to 30 minutes at a time.

Thanks,

John N.

Beeblebrox
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Anything will get you the same weight loss as long as it fits your macros. That said, however, it's healthier in other regards to avoid processed foods and try to eat fresh/natural food. There's a list somewhere of some good foods for each macro, but here are a few of the most common:

Protein:
Whey
Skinless Chicken
Cottage Cheese
Salmon/Tuna/Most Seafood
Egg (Whites)
Lean Pork/Beef

Carbs:
Oatmeal
Most fruit
Brown Rice
Whole Grain Pasta