PDA

View Full Version : where would you rank shaq all time as a center?

charity4thepoor
06-17-2011, 01:24 AM
???

1800_Cool_Guy
06-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Two for me. With Hakeem at number one.

AC1383
06-17-2011, 02:06 AM
4th. Hakeem/Wilt/Abdul/Shaq.

sprinkles
06-17-2011, 02:11 AM
O'Neal is most certainly top 5 in most peoples opinion.

It is hard to say where he truly ranks among the greats. Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar, Olajuwon.

O'Neal was the most physically dominant center the league has seen, and we may not see another center like him for some time to come. In his first years in the league, he was amazing. No one knew how to guard him. No one COULD guard him. He was like a freight train. He was an amazing player, and it was fun as hell to watch him play in his prime.

I do think he could have been greater were it not for numerous injuries and surgeries that limited the amount of games he played. He missed almost a quarter of the games in his career during the regular season. Through 19 seasons he averaged 63 games played a season. Imagine what he could have done in those extra 300+ games he missed and what his stats would have looked like. ( I know MOST players get injured, so I am not singling him out, merely pointing out an observation)

Also when your career FT % .527 is less than your career FG % .582 that is a liability to me. Then again, Wilt had a worse FT % and FG% than Shaq, so I guess it is all in the eyes of the fan.

Personally even with those detriments to his name, I still place him as top 3, or more accurately extremely close in comparison with Hakeem behind Chamberlain over the span of their careers.

1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Shaquille O'Neal / Hakeem Olajuwon
3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
4. Bill Russell

If I had to pick one for a SINGLE game though, Shaquille in his prime gets my nod just based off of his physicality and domination in the paint.

jvinci
06-17-2011, 02:55 AM

It is hard to say where he truly ranks among the greats. Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar, Olajuwon.

O'Neal was the most physically dominant center the league has seen, and we may not see another center like him for some time to come. In his first years in the league, he was amazing. No one knew how to guard him. No one COULD guard him. He was like a freight train. He was an amazing player, and it was fun as hell to watch him play in his prime.

I do think he could have been greater were it not for numerous injuries and surgeries that limited the amount of games he played. He missed almost a quarter of the games in his career during the regular season. Through 19 seasons he averaged 63 games played a season. Imagine what he could have done in those extra 300+ games he missed and what his stats would have looked like. ( I know MOST players get injured, so I am not singling him out, merely pointing out an observation)

Also when your career FT % .527 is less than your career FG % .582 that is a liability to me. Then again, Wilt had a worse FT % and FG% than Shaq, so I guess it is all in the eyes of the fan.

kmlDqPtHV-E

chlaxman
06-17-2011, 03:35 AM
I'd put him 4th behind Russell, Wilt, and Kareem. Ahead of the Dream.

sprinkles
06-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Putting what I said into perspective, I was referring to the impact that O'Neal has had on the game of basketball, and specifically the position of center since his introduction into the league.

I agreed that Howard is an imposing force. I just don't think he has had the impact on the game the way O'Neal had when he first entered the league. O'Neal has a good 3 inches and 50-60 pounds on Howard. Granted in sheer muscularity Howard has O'Neal beat, but O'Neal bulldozed every center he played against out of the way (barring his last 3-4 seasons). I don't see Howard doing that. I see people moving to get out of his way. O'Neal moved them.

Shaq made the NBA redesign backboards because of his power for crying out loud.

Comparing the first 6 seasons for each: (Bold for leader)
Games - O'Neal: 406-----Howard: 567
Points - O'Neal: 11054 @ 27.2 ppg-----Howard: 10322 @ 18.2 ppg
Rebounds - O'Neal: 5012 @ 12.3/game-----Howard: 7287 @ 12.9/game
Assists - O'Neal: 1017 @ 2.5/game-----Howard: 831 @ 1.46/game
Blocks - O'Neal: 1115 @ 2.75/game-----Howard: 1228 @ 2.17/game

I think Howard has the potential to go down as one of the greats when you compare him side by side with Shaq, especially considering that he is so young, and most likely still has his best years in front of him. He is a superb center, who is capable of greatness. I think in the years to come, with an increase in maturity and a decrease in goofing around, with a better team around him he is well on his way to going down as one of the top centers to play the game. I do however think he still has a ways to go

BTW, for what its worth all I see in that video is that Dwight can dunk. A highlight dunk reel when the lane is open does not show dominance to me.

HI_KKM
06-17-2011, 04:12 AM
o'neal is #1 for me

the last great dominant center (don't give me that d12 BS he doesn't have the offensive development yet)

Mj23foreva
06-17-2011, 06:38 AM

O'Neal was the most physically dominant center the league has seen, and we may not see another center like him for some time to come.

LOL theres this dude named Dwight Howard...not to mention Shaq changed a lot of rules to make it more difficult for big men to just overpower their opponents. If Dwight played back when Shaq started and Shaq is his peak now theres really no telling who would be better. Dwight is head and shoulders above Shaq defensively though.

TurboBurger
06-17-2011, 06:48 AM
lmao at ppl comparing d12 to shaq... there is no comparison at all. shaq's footwork and post moves are a billion times better than d12.

JetLife21
06-17-2011, 07:28 AM
LOL theres this dude named Dwight Howard...not to mention Shaq changed a lot of rules to make it more difficult for big men to just overpower their opponents. If Dwight played back when Shaq started and Shaq is his peak now theres really no telling who would be better. Dwight is head and shoulders above Shaq defensively though.

this ***** cant be serious

jkeithc82
06-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Shot fired. Prepare your anus.

Gorilla99
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
inb4 jkeith brings up hakeem vs shaq.

nvm

JRRBadBoy4Life
06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
When healthy, he was the most dominant center of all time.

Hoop_Dreams
06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
lmao at ppl comparing d12 to shaq... there is no comparison at all. shaq's footwork and post moves are a billion times better than d12.

This.

Shaq averaged more points his rookie year than Dwight's career high (which was last year).

GetRippedInc
06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Pretty close to mine.
Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem

Dwight Howard is a great athlete not a pure basketball player. For Shaq's size his footwork was incredible. Dwight also has ZERO killer instinct. That is why Russell is number 1. Wilt was better but Russell usually got the best of the match-up when they played

This.

Shaq averaged more points his rookie year than Dwight's career high (which was last year).
Shaq over Dwight anyday. Dwight is good but he looks a lot better than he really is because there are ZERO decent centers in the NBA compared to the 50's-90's.

Z0mgZ0rs
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Shaq
Wilt
Kareem
Hakeem
Russell

Wilt's scoring records came in a time when the pace of the game was probably 50% higher than it is today. When Wilt scored 50ppg, the league averaged 119pts and .426 shooting. Remember, there was no 3 point line back then so that .426FG% is also the .426eFG%. Not to mention Wilt played the entire game so of course his ppg would be higher.

Russell doesn't get very high, because he was not an offensive threat. Career per 36 min averages of 13/19 and .440 shooting. Did I mention, Russell's averages are inflated due to the high pace, just like Wilt? He also won 11 championships when the league had less than 10 teams. No way can you put Russell above Shaq. I think putting him in the top 5 is generous.

squarejaw
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Shaq for all time as in the best career vs all the best career centers in history, Shaq is probably def a top 15 center of all time...

More than half of his career he spent being a cancer to a championship caliber team. The other part of his career he spent being a 1 man wrecking crew.

If he spent lets say 75% of his career as a motivated 1 man wrecking crew like the Kings vs Lakers era then he is by far the greatest center to ever live. Sadly he spent more than half of his career as a poorly motivated sloth with too many side projects.

If we are going to argue had had the singular greatest season of all time then it's Shaq. He had 1 year where he was a killer.

If you asked Kobe where Shaq ranks career wise then Kobe would laugh and say "not that high, the dude was a lazy sob"

Kevintensity
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
borderline top 5 for me

so many good centers

sleet83
06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
If you put Shaq before Hakeem you have gone full retard. Hakeem is without a doubt the best center in the last thirty years and has a strong argument for GOAT center. He was the complete package.

hW4uXlRGAF0

logical281
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
hakeem
kareem
shaq
wilt
russell

viennafat
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Top 5 for sure.

lol at people comparing Howard to prime Shaq.

batman15
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
#1 or #2.

rusvik
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, Shaq is a pretty clear top 3 in my book. Nr 1. is either Hakeem or Wilt. Hakeem needs no explanation, but we really don't know enough about Wilt. He did put up incredible numbers (against weak comp). So Shaq is 2nd or 3rd in my book.

Dwight Howard is way, way to unskilled still. Tim Duncan is a better center than Howard even if he played most of his career as a PF.

SpiderSense
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Shaq's gotta be in the top 3, this is another case where the stats don't always tell the whole story.

BRB man child Shaq dominating out of the gates at the time NBA was the most talented ever at Center.

_Translucency
06-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Top five.

Too many variables to accurately place everyone past that.

m30wc0w
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
kmlDqPtHV-E

no posters in that video! ):

JBDW
06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
If you put Shaq before Hakeem you have gone full retard. Hakeem is without a doubt the best center in the last thirty years and has a strong argument for GOAT center. He was the complete package.

hW4uXlRGAF0

That sequence of moves at 0:55 is just too ****ing sick.

Z0mgZ0rs
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Olajuwon v. O'Neal (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=olajuha01&p2=onealsh01)

Dave4585
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
O'Neal is #1 to me. I think saying Wilt is the best is like saying Babe ruth is the best in baseball. Both were players who played around a time where there were a handful of superstars and then a bunch of mediocre players and just dominated. You could make the argument that they were just ahead of their time but it kinda reminds me of MMA in the early UFCs when Royce Gracie dominated everyone even though he was one dimensional if you put him in his prime against say GSP,Bj Penn,or any other top Welterweight they would of smashed him to pieces.

TalonBrah
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
well i can only speak for my generation that i watched for years, so for me its shaq, then hakeem, then david robinson, then alonzo morning.

b3rtstare
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
ITT: Idiots fail to acknowledge the clear GOAT Center. Shawn Bradley

My top 5 would be as follows:

Shawn Bradley
Shaq
Hakeem
Wilt
Kareem

Trollface.jpg

BertNStare
06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Shaq is easily my favorite player of all time. Hilarious dude off the court too.