PDA

View Full Version : How had is salt for your health .

joeybsmooth
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I have read different things. Some places say it is really bad other places say it is not so bad.

Diddii
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM
It's bad if you eat too much, but it's not toxic

fun fact: In ancient China, people committed suicide by eating a pound of salt :)

Rane8
06-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I have read different things. Some places say it is really bad other places say it is not so bad.

From first hand experience, i can tell you what an excess can do. Remember this just an excess your body obviously needs salt to function. It spiked up my bloody pressure, would go down 10-15 after cutting certain foods. And, but not sure about this, can be bad for cardiovascular stamina at too high of a rate.

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless your diet consists mainly of preserved food like hot dogs, and ravioli. Or if you eat many packaged soups especially.

Most of this is from experience not facts, so take it with a grain of salt (which is fine)

DSUP
06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I eat a ton of salt on everything so this topic is very interesting to me. I am curious to know whether there are any other side effects from eating too much salt other than elevated blood pressure which doesn't seem to be a problem for me:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230600_10150187876729647_699969646_6870568_4608350 _n.jpg

Electricheadd
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Bam!

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/305/17/1777.short

msm00b
06-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Salt: Your body can't function without it. If you've got certain health problems, it's bad to have too much of it in your diet.

Aside from that ... I don't really care much about how much salt I eat.

kmal2t
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Just like everything else. It needs to be in modderation.

If you have too little you get a goiter, if you have too much it can help give you high blood pressure. Not really an issue at younger ages but still keep it in mind when getting your foods. When you get fast food and processed foods its more likely to be higher sodium. Salt is really high in stuff like soy sauce and canned foods. Try to get varieites of food so you aren't getting a lot. You really should not have to salt your food at all other than a little in cooking it (very little) considering how oever salted all of our foods are.

joeybsmooth
06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Bam!

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/305/17/1777.short

From that it looks like I need to begin to put salt on more thing.

Electricheadd
06-13-2011, 02:49 PM
From that it looks like I need to begin to put salt on more thing.

haha... like everything else its good as long as you don't take it to an extreme.

DSUP
06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Salt: Your body can't function without it. If you've got certain health problems, it's bad to have too much of it in your diet.

Aside from that ... I don't really care much about how much salt I eat.

haha... like everything else its good as long as you don't take it to an extreme.

So, is our conclusion here that I need not worry about how much salt I use so long as I don't have any health problems or elevated blood pressure?

Now I'm just worried that if I cut the salt out I might flat line...

Electricheadd
06-13-2011, 03:59 PM
So, is our conclusion here that I need not worry about how much salt I use so long as I don't have any health problems or elevated blood pressure?

Don't cut out salt, your body needs it, wars have been fought for it, people have been payed in lbs of salt, its all around good for you. Think of it like vitamin C, its awesome and good for you.... but even it has a lethal dose.

RMohio
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Don't cut out salt, your body needs it, wars have been fought for it, people have been payed in lbs of salt, its all around good for you. Think of it like vitamin C, its awesome and good for you.... but even it has a lethal dose.

I have never really liked salt, or butter really. Whatever the salt content is of foods I can handle. I really don't like adding any. I dont avoid it, just never been a fan of it.

Kamapuaa
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I have never really liked salt, or butter really. Whatever the salt content is of foods I can handle. I really don't like adding any. I dont avoid it, just never been a fan of it.

Thanks for sharing.

hockeytownfan
06-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I eat a ton of salt on everything so this topic is very interesting to me. I am curious to know whether there are any other side effects from eating too much salt other than elevated blood pressure which doesn't seem to be a problem for me:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230600_10150187876729647_699969646_68608350_n.jpg

As my doc would say, your pulse pressure is "troubling", and you'd be put on an ACE inhibitor. And, if you are like me, you'd have unfilled scripts sitting at CVS.

Electricheadd
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM

On a more serious note, if you like salt but want to cut back, it's not usually the shaker that gets you. It's the processed/baked/canned foods that kill you. Eat fresh whole foods and salt them to your hearts content and you won't even come close to the sodium in processed meat, or canned food.

DSUP
06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
As my doc would say, your pulse pressure is "troubling", and you'd be put on an ACE inhibitor. And, if you are like me, you'd have unfilled scripts sitting at CVS.

Yup!

On a more serious note, if you like salt but want to cut back, it's not usually the shaker that gets you. It's the processed/baked/canned foods that kill you. Eat fresh whole foods and salt them to your hearts content and you won't even come close to the sodium in processed meat, or canned food.

Yeah, I don't eat that crap (well, I do eat my share of beef jerky). I only eat twice a day. A dozen eggs (I toss 11 yolks down the drain) and a piece of protein bread for breakfast and beef, pork, poultry or fish with a green vegetable for dinner. I salt everything though. Even the toast.

Electricheadd
06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Yup!

Yeah, I don't eat that crap (well, I do eat my share of beef jerky). I only eat twice a day. A dozen eggs (I toss 11 yolks down the drain) and a piece of protein bread for breakfast and beef, pork, poultry or fish with a green vegetable for dinner. I salt everything though. Even the toast.

Weigh out your salt sometime and see how much your eating. I bet it's not so bad, keep in mind table salt is only 50 percent sodium. So you get the daily recommended intake of 2500mg you could eat 5g of salt give or take.

kmal2t
06-13-2011, 10:17 PM
salt used to be a necessity because they didn't have cool **** like Tapatio and Dijon to give flavor to their food. They had salt. Not to mention it was a necessity to keep food fresher for longer because they didn't have frigadaire. If you use myfitness pal you can set it to show the sodium content of your food. You might be amazed how overkill you are doing with salt even if you don't add it to your food. I'd say its important to keep track of. Not as important as Fat, Carbs, Protein and Sugar...but still important none the less.