PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do.

MrVeggie
06-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey i have been reading many of the threads and stickies but still need some help.

Here's the thing, I don't know if i should lose weight first or bulk as I'm over weight. However, I'm weak as **** and can barely push open the school doors (lmao).

If I should bulk I'm planning on doing starting strength.
But If i need to cut then im not sure what i should follow :/

Some facts:
Height: 5 ft 11 inch
weight: 171 lbs
Diet: Don't have one yet.

Could someone give me a body fat estimate?
Here are my fat and hairy pics:

NeedANick
06-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Body fat, I'd say some 22% or in that area.

I'm not quite sure if you should cut or bulk. Many people will tell you to bulk because you are having major testosterone boost at 16 and you'll NEVER have it again, but you do look quite a bit overweight.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

illiniStrive
06-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Various people are going to have various suggestions, but ultimately it's your body, your choice.

You could cut, but since you lack muscle it's really not going to do you any favors. That being said, Starting Strength tends to work best for people who are willing to gain a decent amount of weight. This weight would be muscle along with some fat. You can still run SS at maintenance or on a deficit, but you will stall much faster.

You could try eating slightly above maintenance and running SS. As a newbie you'll still reap some great strength gains while improving your overall body composition.

MrVeggie
06-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. However, i forgot to mention that my sister is getting married by September and I want to look skinnier. So maybe I should cut to like 160, and then start bulking when the wedding is over?

illiniStrive
06-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. However, i forgot to mention that my sister is getting married by September and I want to look skinnier. So maybe I should cut to like 160, and then start bulking when the wedding is over?

What would be the point? Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you're going to look drastically different at 160 than you do at 170. Just a slightly smaller version of your former self.

But again, it's your choice.

MrVeggie
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM
What would be the point? Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you're going to look drastically different at 160 than you do at 170. Just a slightly smaller version of your former self.

But again, it's your choice.

I guess so. So maybe i should do a clean bulk with ss?

NeedANick
06-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess so. So maybe i should do a clean bulk with ss?

I think you'll have better results from a bulk than a cut. You'll look muscular thick instead of plain fat or skinny fat.

MrVeggie
06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I think you'll have better results from a bulk than a cut. You'll look muscular thick instead of plain fat or skinny fat.

Alright thanks man :)
Also off topic but do you know the ratio for protein, carbs, and fats if your bulking?

NeedANick
06-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Alright thanks man :)
Also off topic but do you know the ratio for protein, carbs, and fats if your bulking?

No, I don't. Sorry. I'm still in the obese category, ha.

scrubs007
06-12-2011, 12:38 PM
22%-25% bf lad

nlite2000
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey i have been reading many of the threads and stickies but still need some help.

Here's the thing, I don't know if i should lose weight first or bulk as I'm over weight. However, I'm weak as **** and can barely push open the school doors (lmao).

If I should bulk I'm planning on doing starting strength.
But If i need to cut then im not sure what i should follow :/

Some facts:
Height: 5 ft 11 inch
weight: 171 lbs
Diet: Don't have one yet.

Could someone give me a body fat estimate?
Here are my fat and hairy pics:

Given your age and weight, just start lifting and keep eating the way you've been eating. Make sure you eat a lot of meat. I don't think you need to cut or bulk, or count calories, determine macros or anything like that. You probably aren't done growing, and you aren't really "overweight" per se.