PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma Question

PhiSig2298
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I know they don't really go with nutrition but I don't really trust everyone in the "Losing Fat" section..

Since I've dropped 60+ lbs, I've found a few Lipomas and I've done a little research and from what I gather, there's no way of losing them and surgery is the only way to get rid of them..

Question is:

1. If you've had them, have they ever gotten smaller?

2. If you've had one removed, how bad was it? How long were you out of lifting?

I've never had surgery before so I don't know what it's like..

It's pretty depressing

Sorry for posting it here but I trust you guys.

Ghosting
06-09-2011, 06:08 PM
1. If you've had them, have they ever gotten smaller?

Interesting. Never heard of them before this thread (yes sheltered). Now I am curious about this myself. I assume you are asking if they get smaller with lower BF?

Ghosting
06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting. Never heard of them before this thread (yes sheltered). Now I am curious about this myself. I assume you are asking if they get smaller with lower BF?

Also, the Misc might be a really good place to ask this. Someone is likely to have experienced this.

otterakl
06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Here's some info from Rakel: Textbook of Family Medicine.

Lipomas
Lipomas are mature adipose tissue arranged in a nodular formation surrounded by a capsule and commonly located in the subcutaneous tissues. Lipomas can be diagnosed by clinical examination and identification of their unique, well-circumscribed, round, mobile character with a doughy consistency. Although most do not require it, excision may be considered for large tumors, rapidly growing lipomas, and those causing pain. Lipomas can occur in isolation or with other systemic diseases, as a component of genetically inherited disorders, or in other connective tissue layers.

A steroid injection or liposuction can be used to treat select lipomas. Steroid injections can be used to treat painful lipomas less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) in size and in which pathologic examination is likely unnecessary. An injection of 1 to 3 mL of triamcinolone diluted with 1% lidocaine to a 10 mg/mL concentration can be performed into the center of the lipoma monthly to shrink the tumor to the desired size. Formal liposuction can be done with cannula or 16-gauge syringe under local anesthesia (Salam, 2002). Neither of these procedures is likely to eliminate the lipoma in its entirety, and recurrences are frequent.

Surgical excision of a lipoma removes the neoplasm from the tissue and allows for pathologic examination. Marking the boundaries of the lipoma is helpful for identification of the tumor edges before a local anesthetic field block is placed. The skin is prepared with a povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution. Small lipomas can be enucleated with their capsule using blunt dissection through a small incision. Larger lipomas require excision through a linear or elliptic incision. Blunt and sharp dissection can be used to free the mass from the surrounding tissues using hemostats or clamps for traction. Hemostasis should be confirmed and cautery or ligature placement used to ensure a dry wound base. The remaining dead space is closed with buried, interrupted, dissolvable subcutaneous sutures and the skin closed with interrupted sutures or staples depending on location and cosmetic need. A compression dressing should be used for 1 to 2 days to prevent formation of a hematoma, and sutures are removed in 5 to 10 days depending on location. Submit any specimen for pathologic examination.

PhiSig2298
06-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah.. Mine are about the size of marbles and I didn't know if anyone noticed them getting smaller as their BF went down.

I'm scared to ask the misc because they rarely take stuff seriously even with the (srs) tag but I'll try

PhiSig2298
06-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Otter.. Seems pretty basic. I always assume the worst when it comes to going "under the knife"

jakek77
06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I had a problematic cyst removed once. It's left small scar and the issue wasn't completely resolved but it's much better. It was close to the skin and small so all it required was local anesthesia and a couple stitches. You can search youtube for some interesting visuals.

PhiSig2298
06-09-2011, 07:20 PM
I had a problematic cyst removed once. It's left small scar and the issue wasn't completely resolved but it's much better. It was close to the skin and small so all it required was local anesthesia and a couple stitches. You can search youtube for some interesting visuals.

Thanks brother

Demon018
08-26-2013, 04:02 AM
the best way is to treat lipoma to resuce is to go for homeopaty, this will definately ve to rid off lipoma with its medicine..
i m also having same lipoma problem, n the homeopathy medicines r working well to reduce it