PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my diet.

Ste8921
06-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Hi Could anyone help me out with regards to how many calories I should be eating per day when bulking up and what ratio of these calories should come from carbs/fats/protein.I'm 180 pounds 6 ft tall and consider myself a hardgainer as iv been lifting for about 2 years now and although I have made some progress with my size and strength since i started i haven't changed half as much as people i know.In the past I was told that i needed to eat 24 calories x my body weight in pounds and to get 50% of my calories from carbs/25%protein/25%high quality fats. I did this up for about 6 months but i couldn't keep it up as I was cleanbulking and the amount of food i had to consume to do this was ridiculous.

Do you think that diet was over the top? If yes what would you recommend?

phal
06-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Please see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

AlwaysTryin
06-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Please see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

You're getting very quick lol :p

phal
06-08-2011, 06:05 AM
You're getting very quick lol :p

I time myself in these threads, helps us get back to the more interesting ones.

VincentiT
06-08-2011, 06:09 AM
I did this up for about 6 months but i couldn't keep it up as I was cleanbulking and the amount of food i had to consume to do this was ridiculous.

Get over it. You have to eat more. During those 6 months, how much weight did you gain?

TheWrath
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
The problem with a macronutrient breakdown like the one you posted or any for that matter is they only work well with some people and in most cases need to be altered a bit for each individual. so while they are good for a baseline if you have no idea where to start, you have to find out what works good for you.

When looking at your diet, protein is important to look at first. you should take in at least 1 gram per lb of bodyweight and up to 1.5 grams. It really shouldent make much of a difference and if you are eating enough to gain weight, you can stick to the lower end or somewhere in the middle of that.

next is fat. it is important not to take in less than 15% of your calories from fat and since you want to gain muscle you definitly want to be higher. around 30% that would be a good range to stay in.

Once you have these set up, carbs will be the variable. eat whatever amount you would eat on a normal day and increase them if your not gaining weight, decrease them if your getting to fat. as your weight changes adjust your protein to make sure your still getting enough for your bw and adjust fats to make sure they arent too low.

Again this is a very general formula but its easier to find out how your body is reacting compared to just follwing a specific macro breakdown based on total calories.

Hope this helps

Ste8921
06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
The problem with a macronutrient breakdown like the one you posted or any for that matter is they only work well with some people and in most cases need to be altered a bit for each individual. so while they are good for a baseline if you have no idea where to start, you have to find out what works good for you.

When looking at your diet, protein is important to look at first. you should take in at least 1 gram per lb of bodyweight and up to 1.5 grams. It really shouldent make much of a difference and if you are eating enough to gain weight, you can stick to the lower end or somewhere in the middle of that.

next is fat. it is important not to take in less than 15% of your calories from fat and since you want to gain muscle you definitly want to be higher. around 30% that would be a good range to stay in.

Once you have these set up, carbs will be the variable. eat whatever amount you would eat on a normal day and increase them if your not gaining weight, decrease them if your getting to fat. as your weight changes adjust your protein to make sure your still getting enough for your bw and adjust fats to make sure they arent too low.

Again this is a very general formula but its easier to find out how your body is reacting compared to just follwing a specific macro breakdown based on total calories.

Hope this helps

Cheers mate that really helps.The only thing im still confused about is how many calories i should actually be eating.Do you have any advice in terms of calories per pound of BW

AlwaysTryin
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Cheers mate that really helps.The only thing im still confused about is how many calories i should actually be eating.Do you have any advice in terms of calories per pound of BW

If you looked at the link posted already....