PDA

View Full Version : Skinny Fat

bsurak
06-08-2011, 05:12 AM
I have what is called a "skinny fat" frame. I'm basically ectomorph, with the only area that I store fat is the love handles and lower abs. I started working out heavy about a year and a half ago. Ive seen some mass gains but have plateaued lately. Here's the numbers:

I started out at 153 lbs with about 23% body fat.

Since then, I am about 160 lbs at 16% body fat. My arms have grown about an inch, my chest about 2 inches. My abs havent done much though. I have seen some good gains on muscle mass, but cant seem to get rid of the spare tire. I shy away from doing a lot of cardio since Im a hard gainer and dont want to burn the muscle I just put on.

Here's my questions:

- How does the hard gainer get rid of the spare tire and maintain muscle mass?

- I work out 4-5 times per week - should I be seeing more gains in muscle than what I listed?

JonnyNUFC87
06-08-2011, 05:25 AM
I would focus on building muscle for now, once you've got a significant amount then you can look at dropping fat. Building more muscle (lean body mass) will reduce your overall bodyfat percentage, and muscles burn calories.

If you're not happy at the progress of your gains then look at your diet a bit closer, there's tons of info here.

As for cardio, I'd do maybe 1-2 sessions a week as at 23% bf it doesn't sound like your metabolisms that high, and it'll help keep your body a bit tighter

AlwaysTryin
06-08-2011, 05:32 AM
I would focus on building muscle for now, once you've got a significant amount then you can look at dropping fat. Building more muscle (lean body mass) will reduce your overall bodyfat percentage, and muscles burn calories.

If you're not happy at the progress of your gains then look at your diet a bit closer, there's tons of info here.

As for cardio, I'd do maybe 1-2 sessions a week as at 23% bf it doesn't sound like your metabolisms that high, and it'll help keep your body a bit tighter

I agree