PDA

View Full Version : Oh gawdamn! 2004 USC Trojans stripped of title by BCS

Horns3
06-07-2011, 06:58 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/usc-bcs-national-championship-stripped/1

The Bowl Championship Series announced Monday it has stripped Southern California of its football national championship in 2004, the final act in a saga tied to the ineligibility of former Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush.

brb auburn 2004 champs

AreolaBorealis
06-07-2011, 06:59 AM
The NCAA are a bunch of slack jawed phaggots.

Horns3
06-07-2011, 07:00 AM
u mad?

heyquikquestion
06-07-2011, 07:02 AM
So are they just going to vacate that year's championship, or give it to a team that lost 55-19? Auburn was so boss that year, they should have been playing USC anyway.

Horns3
06-07-2011, 07:03 AM
So are they just going to vacate that year's championship, or give it to a team that lost 55-19? Auburn was so boss that year, they should have been playing USC anyway.
auburn hopefully, i loved that defense...one of the first years i followed college football religiously

heyquikquestion
06-07-2011, 07:07 AM
auburn hopefully, i loved that defense...one of the first years i followed college football religiously

Karlos Dansby, Carlos Rogers, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Jason Campbell, undefeated in the SEC.. There's no way they wouldnt have made the championship game these days.

AreolaBorealis
06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
u mad?

I don't even like USC

Horns3
06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Karlos Dansby, Carlos Rogers, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Jason Campbell, undefeated in the SEC.. There's no way they wouldnt have made the championship game these days.
my fav player on that defense was travis williams...undersized linebacker but was badass!

I don't even like USC

me neither lol

fly4navy117
06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah it was discussed yesterday, but AU won't get it. BCS already stated they would leave it vacant, which is dumb if you as me since someone had to be the best. Championships have been claimed with a lot less to go on, so I think it's worth pursuing by the AU athletic department.

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
really??? that's weird cause

55-19

thegenerel
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
really??? that's weird cause

255-19

we arent discussing your obesity here.

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
we arent discussing your obesity here.

lol says the guy with no avatar and nearly 25k posts

strong life

pro11skj
06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
lettuce be reality. Reggie bush is one of the best college football players any of us will ever see. no homer. srs.

fly4navy117
06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
lettuce be reality. Reggie bush is one of the best college football players any of us will ever see. no homer. srs.So a different set of rules apply because he's really good?

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
So a different set of rules apply because he's really good?

Yup. At least according to the NCAA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Bush

"The NCAA found that, given Bush's high-profile status, USC should have invested more effort in monitoring Bush's relationships. In announcing the penalties, NCAA infractions committee chairman Paul Dee said, "High-profile players merit high-profile enforcement.""

Don't worry, I highly doubt those same standards set forth by the NCAA will be applied to the Auburn/Cam Newton situation. Even though he had just won a JC NC before coming to Auburn.

fly4navy117
06-07-2011, 01:39 PM
"The NCAA found that, given Bush's high-profile status, USC should have invested more effort in monitoring Bush's relationships. In announcing the penalties, NCAA infractions committee chairman Paul Dee said, "High-profile players merit high-profile enforcement.""Yeah that's dumb. Make the punishment fit the crime, not the amount of media hype. However, I do somewhat agree that high profile players should be watched more carefully. They simply will have more temptations from outside sources because they are a more valuable asset.

Calhexas
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm not even going to get into arguing this.

I'm just going to sit back, and watch as both USC and Auburn fans get mad.

Glorious day.

M99
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm more upset about Tressel resigning.

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah that's dumb. Make the punishment fit the crime, not the amount of media hype. However, I do somewhat agree that high profile players should be watched more carefully. They simply will have more temptations from outside sources because they are a more valuable asset.

I think any logical person agrees that "high profile players" should be monitored more closely than other players. However, what criteria does the NCAA use exactly when determining who to place this label on??? And why isn't that same standard being used for the likes of Cam Newton and the Tattoo 5??? I'd say both of those situations involve "high profile players" and the allegations/violations against both programs are significantly more severe than what USC was punished for IMO, yet both programs will get less than half of what USC got in terms of punishment.

Calhexas
06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I think any logical person agrees that "high profile players" should be monitored more closely than other players. However, what criteria does the NCAA use exactly when determining who to place this label on??? And why isn't that same standard being used for the likes of Cam Newton and the Tattoo 5??? I'd say both of those situations involve "high profile players" and the allegations/violations against both programs are significantly more severe than what USC was punished for IMO, yet both programs will get less than half of what USC got in terms of punishment.

Ohio State could have a serious hammer dropped. And if the FBI ever gets done with their f'n investigation and decides to release their info to the NCAA, Auburn could get slapped too. Be patient lil buddy.

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Ohio State could have a serious hammer dropped. And if the FBI ever gets done with their f'n investigation and decides to release their info to the NCAA, Auburn could get slapped too. Be patient lil buddy.

You can't possibly think that after Cam was made eligible by the NCAA within like an hour of their "ongoing investigation", that Auburn will receive any meaningful punishment.

fly4navy117
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Ohio State could have a serious hammer dropped. And if the FBI ever gets done with their f'n investigation and decides to release their info to the NCAA, Auburn could get slapped too. Be patient lil buddy.LOL

There is no way you actually believe that FBI/NCAA/redfish/BlueTunaTiger nonsense. You realize that stuff is purely to line redfish and BlueTunaTiger's pockets, right? I thought that was the most obvious trolling for profit ever.

Calhexas
06-07-2011, 02:26 PM
You can't possibly think that after Cam was made eligible by the NCAA within like an hour of their "ongoing investigation", that Auburn will receive any meaningful punishment.

Cam was full of sh!t. Auburn hasn't learned their lesson.

It may take 7 years, but it'll come out.

inb4 flybynavy starts screamin conspir....

oh wait....

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Cam was full of sh!t. Auburn hasn't learned their lesson.

It may take 7 years, but it'll come out.

inb4 flybynavy starts screamin conspir....

oh wait....

I'm not arguing that Cam played the NCAA, but I'm more inclined to believe Cam was made eligible so quickly because of the single most obvious reason: $$$$$. Cam was, quite simply, the NCAA's cash cow last season and there was NO chance of him sitting out the title game. The allegations came to light at the most inconvenient time (about a month before the NC game) for the NCAA and I was dumbfounded that there was not more criticism from the media towards the NCAA for clearly making Cam eligible, primarily for financial incentive.

Horns3
06-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm not arguing that Cam played the NCAA, but I'm more inclined to believe Cam was made eligible so quickly because of the single most obvious reason: $$$$$. Cam was, quite simply, the NCAA's cash cow last season and there was NO chance of him sitting out the title game. The allegations came to light at the most inconvenient time (about a month before the NC game) for the NCAA and I was dumbfounded that there was not more criticism from the media towards the NCAA for clearly making Cam eligible, primarily for financial incentive.
This

PatrickBateman1
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Wasn't the NCAA genius... it was the BCS. USC still holds the AP championship.

And lmao @ mad USC/Auburn fans. Bunch of cheating crybaby phucks.

Calhexas
06-07-2011, 08:39 PM

If that's so, the NCAA already made their money off Cam. What's it to them to strip this 4 years down the road?

Only thing that makes them look like idiots is if we end up having all these trophies and championships unclaimed because they sold out.

Mafiafolife77
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
If that's so, the NCAA already made their money off Cam. What's it to them to strip this 4 years down the road?

Only thing that makes them look like idiots is if we end up having all these trophies and championships unclaimed because they sold out.

You answered your own question kinda. The NCAA's incentive in not stripping Auburn retroactively is the public perception of these 'bogus' BCS champions. The NCAA wants to preserve the BCS as best they can (for the $$$) and the best way to do that amid all the CFB scandals over the past ~5 years is to keep the 'ships in tact. How big of a priority is this?? I'm not sure, probably not very big though because as you said yourself, they could always strip it down the road while keeping their pockets fat.

However, there is also incentive NOT to strip the likes of Auburn or tOSU. The incentive is to preserve the NCAA, and to do that, you must have a good public perception. the NCAA's public perception has been shaky as of late in wake of all the CFB scandals and inconsistent rulings. HOWEVER, the NCAA has the unique ability to shape and contort their "rules" (being the governing body of college athletics) in order to satisfy their collective agendas.

The NCAA is, quite simply, the judge, the jury and the executioner of CFB. Until people realize this and see past the collusion that is the NCAA and BCS, we will continue to see biased and inconsistent rulings. And we will NEVER see a proper playoff format as a result.