PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to a PGA golf tournament? (in the audience)

TTgTF
06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
What's it like?
I mean, do you have to stay in one spot or can you move around, following the players through the course?
What if the ball hits you or make noise that ruins a shot?
Can you honestly tell if a shot is a good one or not in real time? Do they have monitors for you to watch what we see on TV or...?
How much does it cost? (relative to other sports)
Just wondering what it would be like to see the US Open live, would it be worth it?

Jyeatbvg
06-07-2011, 06:10 AM
What's it like?
Lots of walking, you can either follow your favorite player, stay at the same hole or just go around randomly. We just went randomly and tried to see as many players as possible.

I mean, do you have to stay in one spot or can you move around, following the players through the course?
See first answer.

What if the ball hits you or make noise that ruins a shot?
If the ball hits you then bad luck I guess, rarely happens and the player usually apologizes. I've never seen it first hand though. If you make a noise I'm not sure what the rule is on redos but they'll probably kick you out.

Can you honestly tell if a shot is a good one or not in real time? Do they have monitors for you to watch what we see on TV or...?
Depends on the hole, but on shorter holes you can usually follow the ball and see it land on the green. They have monitors in some places but not everywhere. Sometimes its what you see on TV but sometimes its like specialized stuff like specific holes and channels.

How much does it cost? (relative to other sports)
Pretty expensive actually, like Canadian Open was $80 per day or something. Practice rounds are a lot cheaper. I guess compared to hockey here it's not that bad but compared to baseball and stuff it's expensive.

Just wondering what it would be like to see the US Open live, would it be worth it?
Ya if you have the chance go see it. It's worth going at least once, especially if you like golf.

AFSFK
06-07-2011, 06:30 AM
i can answer your questions when i get back from the open next week

DatDudeBrah
06-07-2011, 06:53 AM
It was cool. I followed Adam Scott and Phil for awhile. Its better to follow someone who is a little less famous because obviously the crowds swarm the big groups.

You should intentionally try and get hit by Phil's tee shot. He will give you a signed glove or something else of value.

Sell it on the sports misc

magicmatt
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
i volunteered at one in MA when i was a kid, dont really remember it. wanted to go to the us open so bad but its so fukking expensive. plus my brother wants to sit at a green, i want to follow someone around

AppleCat
06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
I've only been to the Senior US Open in Des Moines (1999). I was young, but I enjoyed it.

Jackswack
06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I went to the Deutsche Bank Championship when I was 14 on Day 1... it was pretty cool but it was an all day event and I didn't even stay to watch all the big names compete, although I did get to watch phil, tiger, vijay, and a few other top players practice and was within 2 feet of them...

astarr22
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I went to one this past weekend (Memorial Tourney). I have gone to that every year for 12 years or so. I usually post up at one hole and watch everyone come through. Depending on where you are sitting, you can usually see the shot and tell if it's good or not. Muirfield has a few holes where there are hills around the green to make a sort of amphitheater. These are the holes I usually sit at because you can see the approach shot and the putts.

This past weekend, the biggest crowds were following Phil, Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler, and the last group on Sunday. You can tell when one of those guys was coming through because the crowd will start to get huge.

Also, I dunno if this is true of all tourneys, but there are tons of well dressed hot chicks and more MILFs than I've ever seen in one place. The people watching is a good time filler in between shots.

thegenerel
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
i can answer your questions when i get back from the open next week

wow you are the coolest person I know.