PDA

View Full Version : Protein intake?

mayodt
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm confused, half of the nutrition articles say no more than 1g/pd of protein where others say 1.5g/pd and more... What's right? I'm almost 17, 150 pounds about 14% bodyfat if that factors in. Thanks.

zhall616
06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm confused, half of the nutrition articles say no more than 1g/pd of protein where others say 1.5g/pd and more... What's right? I'm almost 17, 150 pounds about 14% bodyfat if that factors in. Thanks.

it's typically suggested between 1g-1.5g per lb. of LBM.

cdeyoung
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm 148 and I consume 200g of protein a day, 3000 cals a day regardless if I work out.

mayodt
06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
it's typically suggested between 1g-1.5g per lb. of LBM.

Alright, but then where do the rest of the calories go? I've heard that you don't want too many carbs, and I've seen a bunch of plans with over 100g fat for someone my size?

cdeyoung
06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Alright, but then where do the rest of the calories go? I've heard that you don't want too many carbs, and I've seen a bunch of plans with over 100g fat for someone my size?

You want carbs if you want to build mass. :)

mayodt
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
You want carbs if you want to build mass. :)

Yea but I mean right now, I'm eating 2400 calories, about 60g fat, 300g carbs, 160g protein. if I was to bulk, some people say no more than 80g fat and things like that, and I shouldn't increase my protein anymore, from what I've seen, so that would mean that I would need to increase my carbs by like 80g, if I increased my total calories by about 500.

zhall616
06-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Set your protein intake to 1g-1.5g per lb. LBM.
Fat intake between .45-1g per lb. of BW (could go as low was .35)
The rest of your cals can come from your desired mix of carbs or additional fat/protein. Maintain a caloric surplus to gain weight or a deficit to lose weight.

peteyboy1015
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Yea but I mean right now, I'm eating 2400 calories, about 60g fat, 300g carbs, 160g protein. if I was to bulk, some people say no more than 80g fat and things like that, and I shouldn't increase my protein anymore, from what I've seen, so that would mean that I would need to increase my carbs by like 80g, if I increased my total calories by about 500.

You need to eat a little more fat. Otherwise, everything else looks fine. If you were to bulk, I would throw the rest of the calories more so towards carbs than anything. Protein could even go down a little bit if you want (like zhall616 states, minimum of 1 g per lb LBM).

mayodt
06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
You need to eat a little more fat. Otherwise, everything else looks fine. If you were to bulk, I would throw the rest of the calories more so towards carbs than anything. Protein could even go down a little bit if you want (like zhall616 states, minimum of 1 g per lb LBM).

Alright, I'm thinking of following this one program for bulking. It suggests 1-1.5g protein/pd, and I'll probably stick to the lower end on that, 3g/pd of carbs and 0.5g/pd fat. So that would bring my totals to about 160g protein, 450g carbs (isn't that too much?) and 75g fat. If I did this though, would I gain much body fat. It's summertime, so I don't want to completely lose what I have of my abs right now (I'm at 14% bodyfat, so they aren't extremely noticeable, but you can see them).

zhall616
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Alright, I'm thinking of following this one program for bulking. It suggests 1-1.5g protein/pd, and I'll probably stick to the lower end on that, 3g/pd of carbs and 0.5g/pd fat. So that would bring my totals to about 160g protein, 450g carbs (isn't that too much?) and 75g fat. If I did this though, would I gain much body fat. It's summertime, so I don't want to completely lose what I have of my abs right now (I'm at 14% bodyfat, so they aren't extremely noticeable, but you can see them).

wanting to gain weight but scared to lose abs? good way to stay small forever..

mayodt
06-06-2011, 04:04 PM
wanting to gain weight but scared to lose abs? good way to stay small forever..

Yea I know. But I don't want to look like that huge guy that has like 20% fat, and looks worse than I do now because there's too much fat.

zhall616
06-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Yea I know. But I don't want to look like that huge guy that has like 20% fat, and looks worse than I do now because there's too much fat.

then eat ~110% of your maintenance. Progress will be slower but you won't gain bodyfat as fast..

mayodt
06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
then eat ~110% of your maintenance. Progress will be slower but you won't gain bodyfat as fast..

Alright, but before I was eating 3000 calories and I never really gained any weight, I increased my lifts, and noticed muscle gains, but I never changed any weight at all. I know I shouldn't be looking at the scale when it comes to bodybuilding, and it's more what you see in the mirror, but I was at 150 pounds when I was eating 3000 calories and I'm pretty sure I ate 3000 calories for about 3 months or so, and I gained maybe 2 pounds over that whole time.

Shlokda
06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Dude just read this article by Natural Pro, Layne Norton. It discusses how to properly Bulk.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne2.htm

In a nutshell when you're bulking you still need alot of protein, but not as much as if you were on a cut. The Carbs are what you're going to be taking in the most of.

As far as losing your abs, most successful bulking periods result in the gain of some fat. If you do it right, and cleanly, you shouldn't take on a ton of fat. The upside also, is that the more lean muscle you have, the easier it's going to be to lose fat because your RMR goes up.

Trying to bulk without gaining any fat whatsoever is unreasonable unless you are genetically gifted in that sense, and I feel like you wouldn't put on as muscle as you potentially could. So don't get hung up on it.

peteyboy1015
06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Yea, I mean I've been bulking and I've started to lose my abs...doesn't bother me in the least bit because my strength gains have soared.

mayodt
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Dude just read this article by Natural Pro, Layne Norton. It discusses how to properly Bulk.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne2.htm

In a nutshell when you're bulking you still need alot of protein, but not as much as if you were on a cut. The Carbs are what you're going to be taking in the most of.

As far as losing your abs, most successful bulking periods result in the gain of some fat. If you do it right, and cleanly, you shouldn't take on a ton of fat. The upside also, is that the more lean muscle you have, the easier it's going to be to lose fat because your RMR goes up.

Trying to bulk without gaining any fat whatsoever is unreasonable unless you are genetically gifted in that sense, and I feel like you wouldn't put on as muscle as you potentially could. So don't get hung up on it.

Alright, should I try to cut to a lower bodyfat before I start a clean bulk? Maybe get down to 10% bodyfat, then start the clean bulk?

Shlokda
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Alright, should I try to cut to a lower bodyfat before I start a clean bulk? Maybe get down to 10% bodyfat, then start the clean bulk?

You might could try that. YOu could go ahead with the bulk, because the more lean muscle you pack on, the easier that cut will be.

If you are so inclined, You could probably cut for like a 4-6 weeks, then start your bulk. Make sure you're sticking with heavy weight, like 4-8 rep ranges (except warm up sets), and include lots of compound movements in your workouts i.e. Squats, deadlifts, dips, military press, bench press, etc. Those are gonna be the key.

mayodt
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
You might could try that. YOu could go ahead with the bulk, because the more lean muscle you pack on, the easier that cut will be.

If you are so inclined, You could probably cut for like a 4-6 weeks, then start your bulk. Make sure you're sticking with heavy weight, like 4-8 rep ranges (except warm up sets), and include lots of compound movements in your workouts i.e. Squats, deadlifts, dips, military press, bench press, etc. Those are gonna be the key.

Okay, thank you.