PDA

View Full Version : lowering bad cholestorol

moreplz
06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
well i looked at the search bar and found nothing, my mom has high cholestorol and i was wondering what food related things can she do to lower it down ( not THAT high but still high)

IraHays
06-03-2011, 05:46 PM
The correlation between high "bad" cholesterol and heart disease is weak at best.

Raising HDL "good" and lowering Triglycerides (HDL/Trig ratio) is the most important factor in preventing cardiac events.

You can increase HDL and lower Triglycerides both by following a low carb diet and/or by excercising.

kikboxa0
06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I know you can buy butter and spread products that have certain plant steriles in them that help lower cholesterol re-absorption, which in the long run lowers your body's cholesterol, same came be found in most oats I'm pretty sure? Correct me if I'm wrong, beta-glucon is what it's called in oats

Beech27
06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Don't cut fat altogether, first of all. It's only trans fats that have a uniquely negative effect on total cholesterol levels. In fact, even the demonized saturated fat raises the "good" HDL. Aside from that, eating fiber (whole grains, fruits, vegetables) seems to help. And of course exercise is of benefit.