PDA

View Full Version : What form of green tea is best?

UltimateAeroSSC
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Pretty sure I've heard not to use the teabags. Would something like Lipton's green tea bottled up be ok? Sounds like that's really the only true healthy, natural source of caffeine for beverages. Yay or nay?

Erdos
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with tea bags in terms of the quality of its nutrition. They're just as great as using leaves. The only difference is that much of the flavor gets lost due to the high surface area of the leaves in the tea bags. Thus, using leaves gives a more authentic taste, but tea bags work just as fine.

UltimateAeroSSC
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with tea bags in terms of the quality of its nutrition. They're just as great as using leaves. The only difference is that much of the flavor gets lost due to the high surface area of the leaves in the tea bags. Thus, using leaves gives a more authentic taste, but tea bags work just as fine.

What about bottled green tea? Do they add a bunch of sugar or something?

Ajaro
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
What about bottled green tea? Do they add a bunch of sugar or something?

check the label and nutrition facts and ingredients. If it says "0 calorie," or no other ingredients, then you're good. But yes there are sweetened green teas out there, but all you have to do is check. Luckily, over here all we have is just pure green tea bottled.

TBEagl
06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
check the label and nutrition facts and ingredients. If it says "0 calorie," or no other ingredients, then you're good. But yes there are sweetened green teas out there, but all you have to do is check. Luckily, over here all we have is just pure green tea bottled.

http://www.viruz.com/images/lipton-diet-green-tea.jpg?

BookMonkey
06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Pretty sure I've heard not to use the teabags. Would something like Lipton's green tea bottled up be ok? Sounds like that's really the only true healthy, natural source of caffeine for beverages. Yay or nay?

Wait.

Let me dissect your question.

"Pretty sure I've heard not to use the teabags."
- So you heard not to use teabags because what? I'm assuming because of the bleaching process that most teabags undergo. As do many other bags (lunch bags for example) undergo. If you are afraid of that, then read on...

"Would something like Lipton's green tea bottled up be ok?"
- So now you're considering a plastic bottle to be a better choice. So if you're afraid of the bleaching process of teabags, then why would the plastic leeching into the liquid be a better choice? Didn't you realize that liquids in plastic bottles take on carcinogenic qualities? Bottling is a worse choice than the bleaching process of teabags.

"Sounds like that's really the only true healthy, natural source of caffeine for beverages."
- Do you even understand what you just said? The only true/healthy/natural source would be to make it yourself. You're afraid of teabags but you revert to plastic bottles. Doesn't sound very smart...but wait...

[ /digress ]

Do you really care which side is real? Most of what I said in sarcasm is true. They do bleach teabags. Plastic will leech into the liquid. But that is true for pretty much all products. Where do you think your coffee filters come from? Your bottled water?

Ask yourself this question: Did you create this thread out of ignorance or because you wanted a nice fluffy answer?

/endarrogance

Edit: I drink bottled water and use tea bags on a daily basis.

Kamapuaa
06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Glass. Hot water. Tea leaves.

Erdos
06-01-2011, 01:34 AM
As generally recommended, it would go tea leaves > tea bags > bottled. Bottled teas almost always include a substance so that the tea preserves better, even ones that don't include sugar. I would generally choose tea bags over bottled for these reasons alone, but BookMonkey does a better job in elaborating. Bottled tea, in my opinion, is more like water with a tea flavor while using tea bags actually gives tea, but uses lower quality bits of leaves.

BookMonkey
06-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Bottled tea, in my opinion, is more like water with a tea flavor while using tea bags actually gives tea, but uses lower quality bits of leaves.

Very good point that I tend to overlook because of our audience.

Tea leaves come in many levels of quality and type. For the sake of my level of being awake, I shall have to copy/paste little bits here and there.

"Tea is traditionally classified based on the techniques with which it is produced and processed.[19]

White tea: Wilted and unoxidized
Yellow tea: Unwilted and unoxidized, but allowed to yellow
Green tea: Unwilted and unoxidized
Oolong: Wilted, bruised, and partially oxidized
Black tea: Wilted, sometimes crushed, and fully oxidized
Post-fermented tea: Green tea that has been allowed to ferment/compost"

And also, for further info on tea grades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_pekoe#Grade_terminology

Do note: Lipton uses the lower tea grades for their "standard" tea bags. This is to give an idea of quality overall. Not just of Lipton (which I drink regularly).

psychodiver9
06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Suppository

UltimateAeroSSC
06-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Wait.

Let me dissect your question.

"Pretty sure I've heard not to use the teabags."
- So you heard not to use teabags because what? I'm assuming because of the bleaching process that most teabags undergo. As do many other bags (lunch bags for example) undergo. If you are afraid of that, then read on...

"Would something like Lipton's green tea bottled up be ok?"
- So now you're considering a plastic bottle to be a better choice. So if you're afraid of the bleaching process of teabags, then why would the plastic leeching into the liquid be a better choice? Didn't you realize that liquids in plastic bottles take on carcinogenic qualities? Bottling is a worse choice than the bleaching process of teabags.

"Sounds like that's really the only true healthy, natural source of caffeine for beverages."
- Do you even understand what you just said? The only true/healthy/natural source would be to make it yourself. You're afraid of teabags but you revert to plastic bottles. Doesn't sound very smart...but wait...

[ /digress ]

Do you really care which side is real? Most of what I said in sarcasm is true. They do bleach teabags. Plastic will leech into the liquid. But that is true for pretty much all products. Where do you think your coffee filters come from? Your bottled water?

Ask yourself this question: Did you create this thread out of ignorance or because you wanted a nice fluffy answer?

/endarrogance

Edit: I drink bottled water and use tea bags on a daily basis.

lol That was a bit much, but ok. =p Personally I was never that fond of the taste anyway. I just figured I might start drinking it if bottled was ok, since it's obviously the most convenient form. Having said that, I'll consider the leaves. I need to square away the main portion of my diet for now. I'll come back to this when I have it figured out.

SuffolkPunch
06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Suppository

teehee

Shrederator
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
ITT: OP is teabagged

I use White Flood or Coke Classic for my caffeine needs.

fretslayer
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Tea bags, or pill form extract. Bottled green tea from lipton or whoever is garbage and filled with sugar.

IraHays
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow, strong tea leaf knowledge in this thread.

BookMonkey
06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
ITT: OP is teabagged

I use White Flood or Coke Classic for my caffeine needs.

Aware me on White Flood.

psychodiver9
06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Its a pre workout drink. Pretty tasty

Shrederator
06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Aware me on White Flood.

I should become a rep.

It's got caffeine and all kinds of other ish in it, zero calories, good energy, no tummy upset.

It's about $0.60 a serving, so it's pretty cheap too.