PDA

View Full Version : need advice about awkward career situation regarding nutrition

JohnsonJones
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Awkward title, don't really know where to post this so I'm going to post it in misc with a (srs) at the end as well, don't h8 for the multiple posts.

I'm currently 24 and a half(pretty much on the dot). In may 2010 I graduated with a degree in computer information systems ( huge mistake, broad category, no specialty).

Before I graduated college, I was over 300lbs. I was a walking sack of lard ****. My girlfriend broke up with me because of my weight, I've lost friends since college, and thought that being someone who sat at a computer all day, whether for school or for fun, was an acceptable excuse.

After losing over 50 pounds, and continuing to do so, and discovering bb.com, its forums, what its about, the friendly people on here...i love it.

I breathe it. I could do this all day. I love reading/learning about nutrition, fat loss, different diets, and I want to learn more about the science behind that, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I hate doing professional work with/around computers, I don't know why I picked that degree, it's just since I was a little kid I've always enjoyed playing computer games and I've built a couple gaming computers, so I thought that this would have been a good choice.

Wrong.

When it comes to the work place, the LAST thing I want to do is sit at a desk for 8 hours a day watching firewall packets, watching everyone scream, "OMG THE BOSTON SERVER IS DOWN, QWIK FIX IT NAOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" In fact, sometimes I think the only thing working in an IT department makes me want to do is punch the arrogant, goatee fat guy next to me snorting about how cool his new modem is.

Like I give a ****. I like helping people. I like improving my life. I like learning new things that this whole website has to offer, literally I've spent a solid 8 or 9 hours on my day off just reading things around bb.com.

My question is this: Since I do not have a degree in physical fitness, nutrition science, or any of that, am i doomed?

If I want to make a career out of helping people along, helping people lose weight, you know...stuff like that...is it too late? Do I need to go BACK to school?

Can you even make a career out of stuff like this? I don't even know what job options there are revolving around nutrition / losing weight / a site like BB.com.

When I am 65, I don't want to sit down next to my grandkids and tell them how much I loved eating hostess cakes while watching pixelated packets. I want to tell them how I helped change lives.

Not only that, but people could say "well , you could make a living off walmart". I'm sure you could, but I would like to live *comfortably* I'm not asking for a palace, but I don't want to stress out living from paycheck to paycheck...given that, is this feasible in my shoes?

From someone who's done it...where do I start?

Will give my measly reps, on cooldown, for anyone with some srs, good answers

IraHays
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Colon Powell

JohnsonJones
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
???

psychodiver9
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Tldr

docchio
05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
The fitness industry is not how you perceive it unfortunately. In my experience anyway. Personal training is a pretty **** job and lacks any real longevity. Yes you need to be qualified if you want to do that, who is gonna pay ou to help them when there is plenty of ripped to shreds bros whose physiques attract clients. Also bear in mind that not everyone is as keen as you about fitness and nutrition, in fact a large majority of your clients will completely hate it, not follow any of your advice and generally be pains in the ass. IMHO the best personal trainers, are the best at closing sales, and initiating potential clients in discussion and then successfully converting. I may sound negative but I'm awaring you to some of the realities of the industry. Does your job pay well? Is it stable? If so put some things in perspective and consider keeping training and nutrition as a hobby that you love and enjoy. When your in a gym 24/7 things can change.

hockeytownfan
05-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I know you don't need a degree to be a PT, you just have to pass cert tests. Think of it like an MCSE for fitness. I don't know about nutritional stuff though, I think there may be lower level things with *****, but I believe most people in nutrition science have a masters.

chickeneater
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
When I am 65, I don't want to sit down next to my grandkids and tell them how much I loved eating hostess cakes while watching pixelated packets. I want to tell them how I helped change lives.

Well, once you dive into this subforum, read a few stickies (like what is iifym?); You may find yourself at 65 showin off your 6pack abs to your grandkids while enjoying hostess cakes with them and describing how it's possible.

docchio
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
I just realized my whole post was in regards to PT. You could always go back to college and study nutrition/dietetics, or look for a job in IT with BB.com. But i think your just riding the high that comes with weight loss and a change in lifestyle.

tso.bulk
05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Will give my measly reps, on cooldown, for anyone with some srs, good answers

I can see where you're coming from, I've felt this way at one point (computer science major). I graduated and am currently working as a software engineer.

I started to realize that it isn't about what you do, it's about the people you work with. These days if you want to make money you're most likely going to be sitting down a majority of the day, so a change in career won't make a huge difference.

Since you're probably good at what you do, don't throw that away. Use it to move up the ladder and into management where you deal more directly with people. At the same time keep bodybuilding as a hobby, you won't make much money off of it, so just enjoy it and do it because you have that inner drive.

alan aragon
05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Awkward title, don't really know where to post this so I'm going to post it in misc with a (srs) at the end as well, don't h8 for the multiple posts. </snip>Read through the links in this post. (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=411764961&postcount=1)

pacificd
05-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Post college panic is pretty normal. My girlfriend broke up with me and I lost friends gained lots of weight hated my job etc. Jumping into personal training might be drastic but I say try everythig out. There are probably active jobs they require your knowledge available. Utility companies, geo-sciences, and hip start- ups could keep you active and smart. Best decision I ever made was to come to these boards. I say try it all man, being happy is your most valuable asset.

IamJonsCranium
05-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Stick with what you've got for a while. After you gain experience, find a new job. Not every IT guy is fat and grovels over his modems. You can make pretty decent money and get into a place where the people are friendlier. Try engineering firms, or other smaller companies.

AnnieOlson
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
I majored in web design and development but I now work as a freelance health writer. Maybe you could consider something like that?

jakek77
05-31-2011, 07:49 PM
To echo some other comments... my company IT/Programming department is full of marathon runners, bodybuilders, crossfitters, rugby players, soccer refs. You can be whatever you want to be. Now if you genuinely hate your work then, yes, you either need a different work environment or a different career.

IraHays
05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Google "shovelglove"

He's an IT guy and made his own workout and diet!