PDA

View Full Version : Can clutchness be learned/taught?

gouscfootball
05-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Watching D-Rose, I just get the feeling that he is so un-clutch and he only makes clutch shots in close games due to luck/law of large numbers. He seems not to really have a belief in himself because he is so shy...So my question is: Can clutchness really be learned/taught?

My opinion is that only athletes who are extremely arrogant/selfish can be clutch FOR THE MOST PART because they have the belief in themselves. Also, the athletes that are humble that have this skill become arrogant after making a few good/clutch plays; and I can't really think of anyone who doesn't fit this bill... Jordan, Woods, Federer, Brady, Kobe, Lebron, Phelps etc.... all the greats have this talent naturally and they are arrogant as hell.. Can there be an athlete that is humble yet great?

jimmyb6281
05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Watching D-Rose, I just get the feeling that he is so un-clutch and he only makes clutch shots in close games due to luck/law of large numbers. He seems not to really have a belief in himself because he is so shy...So my question is: Can clutchness really be learned/taught?

My opinion is that only athletes who are extremely arrogant/selfish can be clutch FOR THE MOST PART because they have the belief in themselves. Also, the athletes that are humble that have this skill become arrogant after making a few good/clutch plays; and I can't really think of anyone who doesn't fit this bill... Jordan, Woods, Federer, Brady, Kobe, Lebron, Phelps etc.... all the greats have this talent naturally and they are arrogant as hell.. Can there be an athlete that is humble yet great?

I think its more confidence then being selfish..

jujuB
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
drose is what LBJ was when he was on the cavs.

could not close out for chit. did so a couple times.

Brandman316
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM

I think you develop it somewhat. I think the reason why Lebron and Wade were clutch tonight is because of EXPERIENCE. They were more comfortable out there than Rose, who is still very young and unexperienced. Give Rose some time and he'll be able to make some big shots.

gouscfootball
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM

So can it be learned/taught? Or is it just a natural thing like you have it or you don't?

verticaljump
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
In LeBron's early seasons he was unclutch as fukk. Look at him now being the best playoff closer in recent history...

imheartbreak
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
i think it can be learned to a certain extent, but some people are just born for those type of moments. lettuce be reality, how many people on this forum could step to the line, in game 5 of the nba conference finals, with all your friends and family watching you, and hit 2 free throws? i'll give you a hint, none.

SpiderSense
05-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Jordan, Woods, Federer, Brady, Kobe, Lebron, Phelps

One of these things is not like the other.

SpiderSense
05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
i think it can be learned to a certain extent, but some people are just born for those type of moments. lettuce be reality, how many people on this forum could step to the line, in game 5 of the nba conference finals, with all your friends and family watching you, and hit 2 free throws? i'll give you a hint, none.

Last Chance To Win

GetBigyo
05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Being clutch is all mental so I guess it just depends on the person and whether or not they embrace the pressure.

gouscfootball
05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I think you develop it somewhat. I think the reason why Lebron and Wade were clutch tonight is because of EXPERIENCE. They were more comfortable out there than Rose, who is still very young and unexperienced. Give Rose some time and he'll be able to make some big shots.

In LeBron's early seasons he was unclutch as fukk. Look at him now being the best playoff closer in recent history...

but some people can just come in and make a three pointer/FTs/fade aways with <20 seconds left, and find openings, while Rose out there tonight in the last 10 seconds had multiple chances to get open and shoot a 3, yet he gave it up and almost turned it over. I dunno if that's inexperience or just being scared of the moment...

1stChanceToLose
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't think "learned" or "taught" are the proper words. Developed is probably a better term.. like clutchness, height cannot be taught or learned but it can be developed. naw mean?

AFSFK
05-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah, its called Dirk

verticaljump
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
but some people can just come in and make a three pointer/FTs/fade aways with <20 seconds left, and find openings, while Rose out there tonight in the last 10 seconds had multiple chances to get open and shoot a 3, yet he gave it up and almost turned it over. I dunno if that's inexperience or just being scared of the moment...

It's more on people always taking those shots and then getting better. I watched a game on ESPN classic where LeBron (as a 2nd/3rd year player) airballed a wide open 18-footer at the buzzer. It was embarrassing as fuk lol but still he kept taking shots.

SuperMario42

I think that the answer that we're looking for is experience. It comes with experience as someone else said. And D-wade is one of their worst 3 point shooters. Why give him the important 3 point shot? I would understand a drive to the basket or anything alike but 3s are D-wade's weakness imo

Monkey Helmet
The guy is 22 and feels like he has to carry the team. He'll only get better as he matures but some players are just unclutch no matter how good they are. It's way too early in his career to label Rose either way though.

gouscfootball
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
It's more on people always taking those shots and then getting better. I watched a game on ESPN classic where LeBron (as a 2nd/3rd year player) airballed a wide open 18-footer at the buzzer. It was embarrassing as fuk lol but still he kept taking shots.

I agree. Here's a prime example

Ws2yhBzJjis

hint: I'm a huge Kobe fan and i'm posting this video

Brandman316
05-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Well, I think Rose had a lot of problems because everyone knew he was going to shoot, and he had to run all over the court to get open and find a shot. Plus, the Heat were doubling him a lot.

In contrast, all the shots Lebron made were made with some decent spacing because of the presence of Bosh and Wade, who were also playing very well in the 4th.

gouscfootball
05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, I think Rose had a lot of problems because everyone knew he was going to shoot, and he had to run all over the court to get open and find a shot. Plus, the Heat were doubling him a lot.

In contrast, all the shots Lebron made were made with some decent spacing because of the presence of Bosh and Wade, who were also playing very well in the 4th.

This is true, but great players seem to make the shots regardless of circumstances...

GPx
05-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Can't be afraid to fail.

VTheKing
05-27-2011, 12:20 AM
The more you play under pressure, the better you get at it. It's pretty simple, just compare Lebron in the 2006-07 Cavs Final run and him now with the Heat. Even if he always seemed to be very arrogant and self-confident the fact that he had never been under so much pressure significantly affected his performance and led to mistakes that eventually cost games. Now he's hitting some clutch shots and is far less shaky, because he's been there before and is making sure this time he's better.

Not everyone has the same level of "clutchiness", but playing in circumstances where clutch play is absolutely vital will invariably teach the person how to seize the moment.

ne12o
05-27-2011, 12:23 AM
drose is what LBJ was when he was on the cavs.

could not close out for chit. did so a couple times.

when you're playing the game 1v5 it tends to end up that way

SneadAGs
05-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Its not so much of a question of "clutchness".. It's more like practice.

Normal practices, you practice for regular game situations, and over time you get better at them.

The more last second, clutch game winning shots you take, the more comfortable you get, and the better you get at them.

Time will tell.