PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble sticking to a diet? Then GTFIH, NOW!!!

rugby-player
05-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello there, fellow fitness enthusiasts! I hope this method am about to dwell on helps you diet strugglers get a grip on fat/weightloss..

If you are constantly failing to stick to a proper diet, or you just get bored quickly from all the restricted food choices that comes in staple with diets; I have a trivial solution for all of you which I found to be extremely effective.

I personally was in great shape about 9 months ago, 182 lbs with 8% bf, till I fractured my shoulder in a rugby encounter. I had to cut out all sorts of training and, as it usually happens, my nutrition dipped as well, along my training. I lost a ton of mass and gained quite a significant amount of lard, 215 lbs @ 17% bf. When I finally recovered and could train again, for some reason, I couldn't adhere to a proper/strict diet as I used to always do. I didn't possess that mental tuffness anymore which was gutting me in every possible way.

To cut a long story short, I implemented a rather simple method of dieting which is indeed brining me back to my optimal figure bit by bit. For the record, with this new simple dieting 'idea' I managed to drop from 215 to 191 in 5 weeks.

Now lets say you normally diet, like the majority of people, for 6 days straight and on the seventh day you have a cheat meal and go a little bit lenient in regards to strictness. The diet idea that I improvised, if you will, was to follow a different sort of diet/macro's every 2 days. So for 6 days I would, for the first couple of days, when I hunger pangs set in I would eat nothing but lean proteins and non-starchy veggies. Next couple of days would be different, I would have 3 solid meals with complex carbs in breakfast and lunch(PWO) (wholemeal bread, pasta, oats) and lean protein and veggies for dinner. The third couple of days would be nothin but lean proteins and apples or lean proteins and nuts/cheese. Seventh day I would have a cheat meal for dinner. The main idea is to rotate diets/meals in the 6 day-span to get round the feeling of strictness and boredom. Creativity, creativity, creativity!!

I know now you're probably wonderin, wot about calories? Well at the end of day we ALL lose weight because we take fewer calories in, than wot we use/burn, thermodynamics 101! I've been training and paying close attention to nutrition for quite some time now, so as lots of other intermediate/advanced folks, without counting calories I know how much cals am getting in roughly everyday. On days with veggies and lean proteins and days with apples and lean proteins I don't count calories at all, however, days with complex carbs I do roughly count my cals. Depending on how much weight you want to lose and the level of experience you've got with training and nutrition set your calorie requirements for the 6 dieting days.

This is a rather simple idea that some of you might find idiotic and quite simple to even state. But believe me, if you have problems sticking to a diet, give this approach a go, you've got nothin to lose. It helped me lots to get back in shape and I hope it does you good as well

Remember, get creative with the 6 days. Try a completely different approach every two days..

Wishin you well, train on!

braggable
05-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Five Star thread

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
There's already a very simple diet plan outlined in the stickies. Eat what you want, choose mostly whole foods, treats in moderation, hit your macronutrient requirements, create a calorie deficit, profit.

IIFYM for the win.

Hormel
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Another simple thing is to just be more active, want some ice cream, how about walking to the closest store to get some, wanna watch tv? Most treadmills at gyms have tvs on them now. I'm a huge sports fan, and I'll take my headphones to the gym and hop on a tread mill and watch the game, set it on a decent walk, when the game goes to commercial I'll speed it up, friends want you to meet them at ruby tuesdays for diner, but it's 5 miles away? Ride a bike.

jaklcrow
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
but will all of that make me a better dancer?

Shrederator
05-26-2011, 09:10 AM
What's IIFYM?

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:11 AM
What's IIFYM?

Well quite simply it's when you eat what you.....

waitwut?

Shrederator
05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Another simple thing is to just be more active, want some ice cream, how about walking to the closest store to get some,

It's 3 am and you just got mugged, congrats.

wanna watch tv? Most treadmills at gyms have tvs on them now. I'm a huge sports fan, and I'll take my headphones to the gym and hop on a tread mill and watch the game, set it on a decent walk, when the game goes to commercial I'll speed it up,

You just died of excessive cardio while watching the Isner/Mahut tennis match that lasted 3 days, congrats.

friends want you to meet them at ruby tuesdays for diner, but it's 5 miles away? Ride a bike.

You were late to dinner and your friends left, congrats. Well, actually... there is a hot bittie at the bar and you approach her.

Shot down, you're all sweaty and gross... congrats.

rugby-player
05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Another simple thing is to just be more active, want some ice cream, how about walking to the closest store to get some, wanna watch tv? Most treadmills at gyms have tvs on them now. I'm a huge sports fan, and I'll take my headphones to the gym and hop on a tread mill and watch the game, set it on a decent walk, when the game goes to commercial I'll speed it up, friends want you to meet them at ruby tuesdays for diner, but it's 5 miles away? Ride a bike.

That's definitely a proactive approach to lifestyle change and weight loss but it's not that practical and can prove ineffective for some people. It's quite easier not to eat the 400 cal pizza slice than burn 400 cals on the treadmill! I'm addressing strict dieters watchin macor's and cals.

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:19 AM

You just died of excessive cardio while watching the Isner/Mahut tennis match that lasted 3 days, congrats.

You were late to dinner and your friends left, congrats. Well, actually... there is a hot bittie at the bar and you approach her.

Lol'd so hard. Really glad I'm in an office by myself at this point.

rugby-player
05-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Shrederator f***** hell mate hahah, go easy on the lad! LMAO! Epic re quoting haha

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
That's definitely a proactive approach to lifestyle change and weight loss but it's not that practical and can prove ineffective for some people. It's quite easier not to eat the 400 cal pizza slice than burn 400 cals on the treadmill! I'm addressing strict dieters watchin macor's and cals.

I'll agree that it can be easier to eat yourself into a deficit as opposed to doing cardio into a deficit.

shoecrew
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM

hahahahahahhaa i cant quit laughing....no more cardio for me im just gonna read this post to burn cals......REPPED hahaha

Shrederator
05-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I'll agree that it can be easier to eat yourself into a deficit as opposed to doing cardio into a deficit.

Well, that's the thing. When we are finding maintenance, we are assuming that we have developed a relatively "standard" training regimen and the activity is already calculated into our macros.

Doing excessive cardio (outside of our planned training) to fix errors in diet is just... dumb.

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Well, that's the thing. When we are finding maintenance, we are assuming that we have developed a relatively "standard" training regimen and the activity is already calculated into our macros.

Doing excessive cardio (outside of our planned training) to fix errors in diet is just... dumb.

Very true. It can spiral down into a "I just ate a huge meal, went slightly over my calories, now I need to run for an hour", etc.

Some people just enjoy cardio and it can be beneficial in terms of overall health.

WonderPug
05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
After actually reading the OP (oh, why did I do that), the only thing I can say is that you should have just read the stickies a few months ago...

Shrederator
05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Very true. It can spiral down into a "I just ate a huge meal, went slightly over my calories, now I need to run for an hour", etc.

Some people just enjoy cardio and it can be beneficial in terms of overall health.

Right... but what I'm saying is, if you enjoy cardio, calculate the caloric expenditure into your diet. Enjoy doing cardio without any risks of deviating from your diet.

phal
05-26-2011, 09:32 AM
ITT choose your own adventure.

MelodyMaker
05-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Right... but what I'm saying is, if you enjoy cardio, calculate the caloric expenditure into your diet. Enjoy doing cardio without any risks of deviating from your diet.

Ah ha, I get what you're saying.

Shrederator
05-26-2011, 10:49 AM
ITT choose your own adventure.

I know you're still holding that last page... so if you die, you can just go back and choose the other option.

Cheater.

http://www.thecitrusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/thecaveoftime.jpg

ITT: I fuccking loved these books.

usethejitz
05-26-2011, 10:53 AM
I gave this thread 5 stars

rugby-player
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Spot on mate, well said..

rugby-player
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
After actually reading the OP (oh, why did I do that), the only thing I can say is that you should have just read the stickies a few months ago...

You could av stopped midway through the post mate, no one a**whipped you to carry on reading. No offence :)