PDA

View Full Version : Really Struggling on Diet!

dagsky
05-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Hey all, i've been lurking in the shadows for a while now reading up and trying to take on board as much as i can. There really is a wealth on information on here and its much appreciated. Whilst i've tried to make head n tales of it all i am totally lost and instead of trying to fumble around and get things wrong i've decided to risk the backlash and just plain simply ask for help.

About me, i'm 5 foot 3 and currently weight 205lbs. I would ideally like to get down to 170lbs.
You can just about imagine that at my height and a belly the size of Buddah its not a very appealing site!

Diet wise, this is actually where i am struggling the most and would like some assistance. I currently have an appointment to see a nutritonist but my appointment is only in july! For years on end i have not been a big eater and most of the time i would only have 1 meal a day and for the past like 8yrs that meal has been some form of take it probably a burger and fries or half a griled chicken and fries. No alcohol. Probably 3 coffees with 1 sugar and milk. Other meals i would have instaed of the take outs would probably be when i go over to my folks and eat there it would be chicken/lamb curry with rice and this would be it. I have found it difficult to have breakfast and lucnh mainly due to just not feeling hungry. Water wise it was practically zero. Was addicted to coke but have not had a drop for last 4mths now.

Excercise wise, it was non existant as i just sat behind a desk for 12hrs!

According to fitday and calorie count i am only eating about 600cals a day and from research on the net i think my body thinks it is in starve mode so everything i do eat just gets stored as it thinks survival mode.

Currrently i am trying to up my eating to breakfast lunch and dinner though i must say i am struggling to cope with it because i simply don't feel hungry! I've logged my meals on calorie count and my meals for the day are this:

B/fast - 2 scrambled eggs coffee with milk 2 x slice of multigrain bread
Lunch - can of tuna mixed with spoon of plain yougurt mixed with green salad in a wrap
dinner - 1/2 grilled chicken and green salad.

The above apparently comes to 1142cals.

Carbs - 29g
Protein - 103g
Fats - 58g

Water intake has gone to about 3ltrs a day.

Current excercise i'm following the noobs guide for weight lifting and i'm doing about 20min of cardio mainly bicycle and rowing.

I know that my protein needs to go up so could i use one of these shakes to make up for it since i just don't have the appetite?

I know i'm going to get an ear nashing but i'll take the ear bashing and know that i'm on the right path rather than fumbling around getting no where.

WonderPug
05-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Please see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

dagsky
05-24-2011, 05:58 AM
thanks for the above links. Unfortunately maths is not my strong point! According to what i calculated this is what i need:

Daily Maintance - 2392cals
drop this by about 20% - 478cals
so this would be 1914cals
(so i think i my case i actually need to be eating more to reach this figure since i'm below)

Protein needs to be about 205g ( currently 103g)
Fats approx 75g (currently 58g)
carbs approx 104g??!! (205g protein x 4 + 75g fat x9 = 1495 - 1914 = 419/4)

SgtShoulders56
05-24-2011, 06:51 AM
thanks for the above links. Unfortunately maths is not my strong point! According to what i calculated this is what i need:

(so i think i my case i actually need to be eating more to reach this figure since i'm below)

Those numbers look much better! Once you get your diet down, look into lifting weights as well as your cardio. This will definately help with fat loss and altering your body composition. Keep reading and learning. Best of luck!

ParsonBrown
05-24-2011, 07:05 AM

Pretty good job there dagsky. I think those numbers are a good starting point. You can back off on the protein a bit if you want and add more carbs. It's up to you, and once you get a feel for things you will figure out how to adjust....good luck.

dagsky
05-24-2011, 09:43 AM
thanks guys for that! Just a few more questions i have to ask, 1st of all with my diet previously being low on the cals (1 meal 600cals) and then suddenly having to up them to almost triple what i was consuming 1914cals am i not going to put on more weight? I know i'm meant to be dropping em it's just that i'm still kind of in shock as to how much more i've got to eat in order to lose fat!!

2ndly i have a weakness for rice, white basmati rice! I would've normally eaten perhaps about 1/2cup boiled with my curry or something. Am i ok to still do this?

3rdly as far as making up my proteins is concerened if i see i can't make my target or close enough can i then use one of the protein shakes to make up the shortfall?

Finally is there somewhere where i can actually look at sample daily meals for my required cals so i don't run into boredom?

last thought i was just reading something else from an archive post about a bloke that ate like 2-3 full chickens to make up his cals!! Blooming heck i eat 1/2 chicken and i'm stuffed!

ParsonBrown
05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
thanks guys for that! Just a few more questions i have to ask, 1st of all with my diet previously being low on the cals (1 meal 600cals) and then suddenly having to up them to almost triple what i was consuming 1914cals am i not going to put on more weight? I know i'm meant to be dropping em it's just that i'm still kind of in shock as to how much more i've got to eat in order to lose fat!!

2ndly i have a weakness for rice, white basmati rice! I would've normally eaten perhaps about 1/2cup boiled with my curry or something. Am i ok to still do this?

3rdly as far as making up my proteins is concerened if i see i can't make my target or close enough can i then use one of the protein shakes to make up the shortfall?

Finally is there somewhere where i can actually look at sample daily meals for my required cals so i don't run into boredom?

last thought i was just reading something else from an archive post about a bloke that ate like 2-3 full chickens to make up his cals!! Blooming heck i eat 1/2 chicken and i'm stuffed!

I bet it takes you a couple of weeks to reset your metabolism after eating at such a deficit. Do not worry about the fluctuation in weight during this time...

I have a weakness for rice too...eat it! It's good for you!

Absolutely, it is alright to use proteing shakes to get your macros for the day...it is a supplement, and use it when needed. Whole foods are best, but a lot of us use whey protein.

I would suggest using fitday.com or the like to put together meals. They can be whatever you like as long as you meet your macros for the day. Browse the nutrition logs and this section. There are always meals being posted...good luck!!!