PDA

View Full Version : Is 3000 cals, really a pound .

joeybsmooth
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
So if I did something that took out 3000 cals, Like ride a bike for 3 hours. That would kill a pound.

psychodiver9
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
No. 3500 is

msm00b
05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
3500 is just an estimation - how accurate it isn't or is ... I can't say.

BigD208
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
So if I did something that took out 3000 cals, Like ride a bike for 3 hours. That would kill a pound.

Unless you can keep a ridiculous pace, I seriously doubt biking for 3 hours burns 3000 calories

zQt
05-23-2011, 05:49 PM
It doesn't mean in a sense that if you eat 3500 calories right now you'll gain a pound..

Say everyday you eat at a +500 intake of calories, after 7 days you'd be a total of +3500 calories and if you ate strict and lifted heavy you'd see results on the scale

Same goes for cutting

lrckid
05-23-2011, 05:50 PM
I was under the impression that 1g of fat = 9cals ? ? 3000cals / 9 = 333.33g (just under a pound)

thus if you had a weekly deficit of 3000cals you would lose 333.33g of fat? ?

Correct me if im wrong though

zQt
05-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I was under the impression that 1g of fat = 9cals ? ? 3000cals / 9 = 333.33g (just under a pound)

No..

A calorie of fat isn't literally fat, bodyfat and fat from food is a totally different thing

joeybsmooth
05-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Unless you can keep a ridiculous pace, I seriously doubt biking for 3 hours burns 3000 calories

I was just using that as an example. :) But say if it did , I would love just to cut 3 hours out of my life to do that. Since most of my day is doing school work and job work.. I guess I would cut my TV time.

sicofthis
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Doesn't quite work like that.

yepimonfire
05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I was just using that as an example. :) But say if it did , I would love just to cut 3 hours out of my life to do that. Since most of my day is doing school work and job work.. I guess I would cut my TV time.

walk to school, walk to work, walking burns 100-120 calories a mile depending on how heavy you are. i walk back and forth to work for a total of 8 miles a day, thats approx 800 cals, thats alot of calories burned dude.... doing that every day for 5 days a week = 4000 cals. combine that with a caloric deficit and your bound to see results beyond just dieting. not to mention walking makes you feel great :)

BladeJrs
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry but this was hilarious.
Not making fun of you or anything, 'cause you're certainly not alone, but it still makes me laugh about how misinformed some people are and how they think dietary fat = body fat (which gets even more ridiculous when, due to this belief, they try to avoid fats in their diet).

But as it was pointed out already, a pound is ~3500 cal

yepimonfire
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Not making fun of you or anything, 'cause you're certainly not alone, but it still makes me laugh about how misinformed some people are and how they think dietary fat = body fat (which gets even more ridiculous when, due to this belief, they try to avoid fats in their diet).

just look at the keto people who subsist off of pure fat, some of them have lost some serious weight. myth smashed.....

Adiakritos
05-23-2011, 08:29 PM

dude thats some serious logic right there! I was surprised to read that. At least your putting your head into this and coming up with your own conclusions based on math. thats neat

-TC-
05-23-2011, 08:38 PM
No..

A calorie of fat isn't literally fat, bodyfat and fat from food is a totally different thing

How is it different? If you ate dietary fat from a cow or if you ate human meat its the same principle. If you died and someone ate your fat, your body fat = their dietary fat

Electricheadd
05-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Dietary fat and body fat are the same thing. They are a form of energy for your body. The unit of measurement is a calorie and applies to both. The only difference is dietary fat you shovel into your mouth, where body fat is used through lipolysis.

The math

454g = 1 lb = 4086 calories

The reason there is only 3500 calories in a lb of adipose tissue is due to the other stuff in it, like connective tissue, water and protein.

BladeJrs
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Dietary fat and body fat are the same thing. They are a form of energy for your body. The unit of measurement is a calorie and applies to both. The only difference is dietary fat you shovel into your mouth, where body fat is used through lipolysis.

You're misinterpreting, and over-analyzing on top of it lol.

You're on here a lot, you obviously know how mis-informed people can be. Are you really going to say you don't know of those people who think dietary fat = bodyfat in the sense that they'll even try to cut all fats from their diet believing this is the way to either lose fat or not gain it, as opposed to understanding calorie deficits?

steelers1377
05-23-2011, 08:55 PM

The math

The reason there is only 3500 calories in a lb of adipose tissue is due to the other stuff in it, like connective tissue, water and protein.

lmao exactly wtf are these guys coming at the guy for.

a pound of muscle and a pound of fat have different total calories. and a pound of fat would have about 4086 calories.

no one is saying you burn pure fat while ur work out or anything, and no one is saying to avoid fat in your diet.

Electricheadd
05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
You're misinterpreting, and over-analyzing on top of it lol.

You're on here a lot, you obviously know how mis-informed people can be. Are you really going to say you don't know of those people who think dietary fat = bodyfat so they'll try to cut all fats from their diet believing this is the way to either lose fat or not gain it as opposed to understanding calorie deficits?

I agree with you cutting out dietary fat is the wrong method for cutting weight. Dietary fat is crucial for hormone production (especially in men) I do not want to see him make that leap in logic either.

I was more pointing out that the OP's math/logic about calories to grams to lbs to fat was correct he was just missing the other stuff in adipose tissue.

alex2363
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
just look at the keto people who subsist off of pure fat, some of them have lost some serious weight. myth smashed.....

i did a keto cycle few months ago, ate nothing but fats, i lost 12 pounds and had best cut ever, i just dont like the weakness i feel from it. with carbs im more cock deisel stronger

Mightymuff
05-24-2011, 02:02 AM

The math

Rep on recharge.