PDA

View Full Version : First ever diet - Please critique!

Straight2Ace
05-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Ok little backround, used to do muay thai competitively always gone to gym tho past 3yrs (saw little to no gains really if im honest). I've now quit after realising I could not have it both ways with such extreme cardio. Been following bbing training i'd say seriously for past 4-6 months now? my diet has not been set in stone but roughly below is what i've been getting in. I've been seeing good enough gains but decided it was time I made sure I was doing it right instead of messing around. Looking at my diet makes me realise few things though alot of cals from shakes and alot of carbs! I'm a strong ecto so I can get away with gaining very little fat. My current weight is 90kg (198lbs) weighed today this morning. I started off about 4 months ago at around 80kg (176lbs). Think I may gained little too much fat I am currently on creatine mono, def need to get bodyfat checked though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers. Aiming to continue bulking too 100kg.

Edit: also do you reduce carbs on non workout days? by how much?

Calories/Protein/Carbs/Fats

Meal 1

3 x Eggs - 228 20/0/17
150g Oats – 540 16/90/12
1 x 25g Scoop whey – 98 20/1/2
400ml Skim milk – 200 14/19/8

Total: 1066 70/110/39

Meal 2

100g Wholegrain Pasta – 320 12/62/2
1 Can Tuna 129g – 135 28/0/2

Total: 455 40/62/4

Meal 3 Post workout shake

150g Oats - 540 16/90/12
2 x 25g Scoop whey – 196 40/3/3
1 Scoop 50g Dextrose – 182 0/45/0

Total: 1118 70/157/24

Meal 4 Snack

1 x Can mackerel – 216 18/0/15

Total: 216 18/0/15

Meal 5

1 x Chicken breast 130g – 180 37/0/3
100g Basmati Rice – 355 9/77/1
80g Mixed veggies – 35 2/6/0

Total: 570 48/83/4

Meal 6 Protein shake

100g Oats – 360 11/60/8
1 x 25g Scoop whey – 98 20/1/2

Total: 658 35/80/18

Final Totals: 4083 281/492/104

ispankmidgets
05-19-2011, 06:47 AM
So what do you want to know?

And what is your goal? Bulk or cut?

Straight2Ace
05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
So what do you want to know?

And what is your goal? Bulk or cut?

Am I on the right lines with my diet basically? bulking.

And any thoughts if anything needs changing looks out of place or sticks out like a sore thumb to someone. Macros, food types whatever whatever.

I'm just paranoid of ****ing up my diet like last year. I stopped thai for a bit bulked and got SUPER FAT but super strong hahaha. But I didn't watch my diet or calorie count just ate.

jasongind
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm definitely no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt if you know what I mean; but form what I've read for bulking you want between 1.502g of protein per lb of body weight. With your current diet your not even getting the 1.5g (should be~293g of protein). So you might want to look at upping that a little. You can easily do that by cutting a few of the complex carbs (ie rice and pasta) back a little and add some to the fish and chicken area. Plus that will give you a better ration of calories from protein and not so much carbs.

Good luck and keep us updated.

ps- I dont know if you use a caloried counting website, but I use fitday and it really helps me track my calories and how much of my calories come from what source. Its well worth the time and its free.

franko man
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
your diet looks fine, calories are definitely up there, ~4000 for someone who's 200lbs.
Experiment it for 2 weeks, and see how much you're gaining. If you're gaining too fast, simply reduce the calories.
Fat intake is decent, right around 0.5g/lb bodyweight.
On a bulk you don't necessary need to hit 1.5g/LBW, but if that's what you like to do, by no means go ahead!

keep us posted on your progress. As long as you're eating enough and lifting heavy, you're on the right track for a bulk

thatguy121
05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm definitely no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt if you know what I mean; but form what I've read for bulking you want between 1.502g of protein per lb of body weight. With your current diet your not even getting the 1.5g (should be~293g of protein). So you might want to look at upping that a little. You can easily do that by cutting a few of the complex carbs (ie rice and pasta) back a little and add some to the fish and chicken area. Plus that will give you a better ration of calories from protein and not so much carbs.

ps- I dont know if you use a caloried counting website, but I use fitday and it really helps me track my calories and how much of my calories come from what source. Its well worth the time and its free.

1.5 times bodyweight on a bulk ?

Where the hell did you see that ?

Straight2Ace
05-19-2011, 01:51 PM

I've been told to cut my meal 6 out and just have casein with water. Their reason was carbs cause insulin spike when sleeping fat gain etc. Wasn't that proved bull****? makes no diff what time you have carbs at all and wont just magically turn into fat when you sleep.

Will look at protein ta. it's about 1.3 i think roughly. Also been told to get rid of some of the milk cause of all simple carbs in it.

your diet looks fine, calories are definitely up there, ~4000 for someone who's 200lbs.
Experiment it for 2 weeks, and see how much you're gaining. If you're gaining too fast, simply reduce the calories.
Fat intake is decent, right around 0.5g/lb bodyweight.
On a bulk you don't necessary need to hit 1.5g/LBW, but if that's what you like to do, by no means go ahead!

keep us posted on your progress. As long as you're eating enough and lifting heavy, you're on the right track for a bulk

Yeh i'm gaining but maybe gaining little to much.

Usually people seem to say that between 1-1.5 gram protein per lb is good. Not sure how accurate it is?

ispankmidgets
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I've been told to cut my meal 6 out and just have casein with water. Their reason was carbs cause insulin spike when sleeping fat gain etc. Wasn't that proved bull****? makes no diff what time you have carbs at all and wont just magically turn into fat when you sleep.

Will look at protein ta. it's about 1.3 i think roughly. Also been told to get rid of some of the milk cause of all simple carbs in it.

Bro science. Unless you're diabetic then don't worry about insulin and simple carbs. Look at the IIFYM sticky. Just focus on hitting your calories and macros. There's a "milk is evil" bandwagon circulating and it's a bunch of bull**** along with the "carbs make you fat" and "don't eat after x pm." Keep it simple.

Yeh i'm gaining but maybe gaining little to much.

Just scale back on the calories.

Usually people seem to say that between 1-1.5 gram protein per lb is good. Not sure how accurate it is?

I would take a look at this article for determining bulking macros: http://www.simplyshredded.com/take-your-body-to-the-next-level-eating-for-mass-and-how-to-do-it-right.html. Layne Norton knows his stuff. The sticky isn't wrong, but I think it's a little too vague.

Personally, I use fitday to track everything and just follow IIFYM. It's a lot more flexible and sustainable in the long run than laid out meals, and I get to mix up my food rather than stick to a boring plan. However, to each his own.

jasongind
05-19-2011, 02:52 PM

I first read it while starting the bulk program for hard gainers by Anthony Ellis. I read through his entire program (1,000+ pages of really good info) while I was deployed in Iraq. All his info is backed by University studies or other hard proof.

2g of protein is alot for an average person, but is pretty vital for hard gainers.

Below are a few other places I came across when just googling "grams of protein for bulking." Like I said no expert, just know what I research and try.

Bulking Up Basic #1: Increase your protein intake to 1.5 grams of protein per pound bodyweight. Therefore, if you weigh 200lbs, you need to eat around 300 grams of protein per day. I have noticed that if I eat more than 40 grams of protein in one sitting I feel lethargic and have issues digesting the food. Therefore, divide 300 by 40 and that will give you the amount of meals that you need to eat per day. In this example, the 200-lb bodybuilder will need to eat, around 7-8 meals per day spaced out with a minimum of 90 minutes in between meal and a maximum of 3 hours. Protein sources should come from lean low fat sources like chicken, turkey, 93% lean red meats, tuna, egg whites, shrimp, tilapia, mackarel, and salmon.

*forum . bodybuilding. c o m /archive/index.php/t-415991. html
abi_yo_shiva02-19-2005, 06:19 PM
how many grams of protein you guys take per day when bulking??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*KNUCKLEHEAD*02-19-2005, 06:52 PM
ive read that 1-1.5 per lb of bodyweight is what lifters should take. so im guessin on an all out bulk u want 1.5 - 2grams per lb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diab0lic02-19-2005, 06:57 PM
300-350

alexanator02-19-2005, 07:02 PM
ive read that 1-1.5 per lb of bodyweight is what lifters should take. so im guessin on an all out bulk u want 1.5 - 2grams per lb

Exactly what I found in research. I completely agree. Of course this is good for bulking.

*skinny bulk up. c o m / dietary-protein-how-much-do-you-need/
Studies have shown that weight lifters benefit from more protein; if you are on a bulking program, you can multiply your weight in pounds by as much as 1.5. Accordingly, a 155 pounder on a bulking program needs 233 grams of protein every day.

*and this is from the IIFYM thread right here in the Nutrion section of this foum.

IIFYM - What does it mean?

The purpose of this thread is to put all the useful links pertaining to IIFYM into one spot to make it easier for newbies to understand the term and to allow the current flood of "IIFYM" titled threads to be deleted!

IIFYM
If It Fits Your Macro[nutrient]s

Quick explanation:

The phrase If It Fits Your Macros (often abbreviated to IIFYM) refers to meeting the individual macronutrient needs relevant to one's goals and then filling the remaining calories with foods of personal preference.

Quick example:

-200lb man at 20% body fat wants to lose weight
-Maintenance calories: 3000
-Calories to cut: 2400
-1.5g protein per lb/LBM: (1.5 * 160) 240g-0.45g fat per lb/BW: (200 * 0.45) 90g
-Calories from fats + protein minimums: (240 * 4) + (90 * 9) = 1770
-Calories from reaching minimums taken from calories to cut: (2400 - 1770) 630
-He has 630 kcal left to fill with whatever foods he chooses and still lose weight as a result of remaining in a calorie deficit.

thatguy121
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I first read it while starting the bulk program for hard gainers by Anthony Ellis. I read through his entire program (1,000+ pages of really good info) while I was deployed in Iraq. All his info is backed by University studies or other hard proof.

2g of protein is alot for an average person, but is pretty vital for hard gainers.

Below are a few other places I came across when just googling "grams of protein for bulking." Like I said no expert, just know what I research and try.

Bulking Up Basic #1: Increase your protein intake to 1.5 grams of protein per pound bodyweight. Therefore, if you weigh 200lbs, you need to eat around 300 grams of protein per day. I have noticed that if I eat more than 40 grams of protein in one sitting I feel lethargic and have issues digesting the food. Therefore, divide 300 by 40 and that will give you the amount of meals that you need to eat per day. In this example, the 200-lb bodybuilder will need to eat, around 7-8 meals per day spaced out with a minimum of 90 minutes in between meal and a maximum of 3 hours. Protein sources should come from lean low fat sources like chicken, turkey, 93% lean red meats, tuna, egg whites, shrimp, tilapia, mackarel, and salmon.

*forum . bodybuilding. c o m /archive/index.php/t-415991. html
abi_yo_shiva02-19-2005, 06:19 PM
how many grams of protein you guys take per day when bulking??

*KNUCKLEHEAD*02-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Diab0lic02-19-2005, 06:57 PM
300-350

alexanator02-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Exactly what I found in research. I completely agree. Of course this is good for bulking.

*skinny bulk up. c o m / dietary-protein-how-much-do-you-need/
Studies have shown that weight lifters benefit from more protein; if you are on a bulking program, you can multiply your weight in pounds by as much as 1.5. Accordingly, a 155 pounder on a bulking program needs 233 grams of protein every day.

*and this is from the IIFYM thread right here in the Nutrion section of this foum.

IIFYM - What does it mean?

The purpose of this thread is to put all the useful links pertaining to IIFYM into one spot to make it easier for newbies to understand the term and to allow the current flood of "IIFYM" titled threads to be deleted!

IIFYM
If It Fits Your Macro[nutrient]s

Quick explanation:

The phrase If It Fits Your Macros (often abbreviated to IIFYM) refers to meeting the individual macronutrient needs relevant to one's goals and then filling the remaining calories with foods of personal preference.

Quick example:

-200lb man at 20% body fat wants to lose weight
-Maintenance calories: 3000
-Calories to cut: 2400
-1.5g protein per lb/LBM: (1.5 * 160) 240g-0.45g fat per lb/BW: (200 * 0.45) 90g
-Calories from fats + protein minimums: (240 * 4) + (90 * 9) = 1770
-Calories from reaching minimums taken from calories to cut: (2400 - 1770) 630
-He has 630 kcal left to fill with whatever foods he chooses and still lose weight as a result of remaining in a calorie deficit.

a calorie deficit

In the sticky:
STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)

Yeahh

Straight2Ace
05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
bump for further opinions.

Shrederator
05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuqA59p1MZbyueH93_tR8T7q__kl6ZI ZASdFWfVU3wEveCXVvU9g&t=1

SirBrofist
05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
you dont need that much protein, or that many calories

Straight2Ace
07-02-2011, 07:33 AM
you dont need that much protein, or that many calories

Well my weight has stopped at 90kg and is now only slowly climbing so assume I do.

Bump for moar feedback anyway!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuqA59p1MZbyueH93_tR8T7q__kl6ZI ZASdFWfVU3wEveCXVvU9g&t=1

Wow constructive.

rich503
07-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Buy a BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit.

Straight2Ace
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Buy a BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit.

Will look into it dude cheers. Will make it easier to track calories, i've stopped past couple weeks and eat whatever roughly in diet above but obv isnt working cuz im hovering at 90-91kg

Straight2Ace
07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Will look into it dude cheers. Will make it easier to track calories, i've stopped past couple weeks and eat whatever roughly in diet above but obv isnt working cuz im hovering at 90-91kg

bump phaggots u want some repZ U CRTIQUE

sawoobley
07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Joseph1990/2011/02/08/taking_control_of_your_body/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html#more-2223

You've been gaining weight too fast. Lower it to 2lbs per month (250-300 over maintenance). Do some reading and get rid of the broscience that is complicating your life.