PDA

View Full Version : SI: Cavs owner Gilbert willing to spend whatever it takes to win

OH10
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
best owner in sports hands down, come at me bro

When last we left Dan Gilbert, he appeared to have lost his mind, along with the minds of anybody within three miles of him. LeBron James had left Gilbert's Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat -- I don't remember the details, but I vaguely recall the announcement being televised in some way -- and Gilbert was livid. He wrote one of the great letters in the history of sports, an angry screed that included this passage:

I want to make one statement to you tonight: "I personally guarantee that the Cleveland Cavaliers will win an NBA Championship before the self-titled former 'king' wins one."

You can take it to the bank.

It was an amazing letter. But what Gilbert has done since then is even more amazing. It is one of the most aggressive strategies ever attempted by a sports owner. We'll get to it in a minute.

Things do not seem to be going well for Gilbert right now. The self-titled King is in the Eastern Conference finals while Gilbert is running one of the worst teams in sports. After LeBron left, the Cavs became something you don't see much in sports these days: lovable losers. They sold out games. They played hard. They shocked some of the best teams in the league, including the Heat. But mostly they lost, and losing is only lovable for a little while. I suspect Gilbert did not love it for even a day.

Now, back to that letter. Everybody thought Gilbert was insane. He is not. Gilbert might be wrong; I believe he will be wrong. I believe LeBron James will win a title with the Heat, though I'm skeptical it will be this year. (Also, it is possible, with Dwyane Wade turning 30 next January, that Wade's body will break down and this Heat group will never win a championship. But that is a separate discussion, and not a pleasant one. I hope Wade has a long career.)

Anyway, Gilbert may be wrong, but he is not crazy. He is determined. There is a difference. That last line -- "You can take it to the bank" -- is the one we need to take literally.

Dan Gilbert has put his money where his mouth is, in a way that is almost unprecedented in the NBA. At the trade deadline, the Cavs traded in-his-prime point guard Mo Williams for prime-rib-loving point guard Baron Davis, who hasn't tried in two years.

The Cavs must pay Davis roughly $29 million over the next two seasons. Williams gets $17 million. (Jamario Moon, who was included in the deal, has a team option of $3.2 million that the Clippers can decline if they choose.) The Cavs also got the Clippers' 2011 first-round pick in the trade.

This means Dan Gilbert spent $12 million for one first-round pick.

He was not done. The Cavs tried to acquire Rip Hamilton from the Pistons for a 2012 first-round pick. Hamilton had fallen so far out of favor with the Pistons that his line in the box score read "DNP-%&!#$!" Hamilton is owed a maximum of $25 million over the next two years. Gilbert didn't care. Hamilton had zero interest in playing for the Cavs. Gilbert didn't care about that either.

Gilbert was willing to either let Hamilton play for the full $25 million (if Rip changed his mind about Cleveland) or buy him out, presumably for at least $15 million. Hamilton wouldn't take a buyout, out of pride (which was dumb, since he would be playing for the Bulls right now, and would have made most of his money), so the trade got nixed.

Add this up: $12 million in the Davis trade, plus at least $15 million (I suspect quite a bit more) for the Pistons' pick. Gilbert was ready to fork over around $30 million for two first-round picks -- neither of which is likely to be in the top three in the draft. The Clippers' pick only has a 2.8 percent chance of moving up to No. 1 this year, and the Pistons' pick next year would have been protected; if it was at the top of the draft, the Pistons would have kept it.

AROUND THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS. This is astounding. In 2009, the Lakers sold the No. 29 overall pick for $3 million. Kobe Bryant, the highest-paid player in the league this year, made $24.8 million. LeBron James and Dwyane Wade combined make $28.5 million. The Sacramento Kings' entire team only made $44 million.

Yet Gilbert was willing to spend some-$30 million for two first-round picks. And that is before he actually paid the guys that the Cavs picked.

I think it is safe to say that when the NBA locks out its players this summer, Gilbert will not be the one crying poverty.

Even if Dirk Nowitzki scores 65 points in a playoff game or Taj Gibson jumps 20 feet in the air, this may be the most incredible number of the NBA season: nearly $30 million for two first-round picks.

This tells you everything you need to know about Dan Gilbert. That letter last summer may have made him a punch line nationally. But he meant every word of it. We saw it as a rant, but I think he saw it as a plan.

The Gilbert who wrote that screed last summer is the same Gilbert who built Quicken Loans into a lending giant and the same one who is running the Cavaliers today. The man is manic about winning.

All owners say they want to win. Nobody ever buys a team and says "Hello, everybody! I am totally going to shed salary as soon as people renew their season-tickets. Also, I'm putting my two sons and all three of my mistresses on the team payroll. Now, what city do we play in?" No, they say they want to win. But once they take control, a lot of owners go back to being businessmen and worry mostly about making a profit. They're entitled to do that, but it's not much fun for fans.

Well, Dan Gilbert really, really wants to win. He has made plenty of mistakes in Cleveland, but he made almost all of them because he was trying to win.

I don't know if Gilbert will turn the Cavs into a contender. A lot goes into that, and the Cavs have an unproven management team. But it is not wise to bet against a man who is this hungry. Last summer, Gilbert sounded like he was whining because somebody took his ball away. He wants his ball back now. Don't be surprised if he gets it.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/05/17/dan.gilbert/

GetBigyo
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Too bad nobody wants to play in Cleveland.

OH10
05-17-2011, 01:02 PM

too bad nobody wants to play anywhere except LA, New York, Miami or Chicago

BeachBrah22
I wish he would buy the indians

Iczer
Too late

LikeAMachine
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Doesn't mater where you want to play if you're drafted. I'm not sure it will work, but I like the strategy from a fans perspective.

LostOne287
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM

First post summed everything up.

Proteinzz
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

This post ended the thread.

The franchise should just pack up and leave. They had the golden opportunity to win, and missed out.

JCV
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
nearly $30 million for two first-round picks.

Nearly is not the same as actually doing it.

GingerBrah
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Doesn't mater where you want to play if you're drafted.

...for three years untill your rookie contracts up...

OH10
05-17-2011, 01:15 PM
...for three years untill your rookie contracts up...

tell me the last time a player left after 3 years of their roookie contract... thats right, never

Proteinzz
05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Doesn't mater where you want to play if you're drafted. I'm not sure it will work, but I like the strategy from a fans perspective.

Rookie contracts are 3 years, not to mention many players have forced trades (Eli Manning, Steve Francis, even Kobe Bryant had a small list of places he would play including LA, NY, Chicago)

Gilbert is a comic sans using jackass.

melanimal_old
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
then spend 300 bucks on a pistol and blow your brains out Gilbert

Proteinzz
tell me the last time a player left after 3 years of their roookie contract... thats right, never

Shaq left after his first contract was up.

chlaxman
Star free agents willing to go there: 0

Nobody is winning with mo williams as their best player

I mean baron davis lol

Wcustom
05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
can someone explain to me what the lockout is for and why?

JCV
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
can someone explain to me what the lockout is for and why?

comes down to a lower salary cap, non guarenteed contracts and compensitory pics

owners are losing money in most franchises and players do not want to lose what they have gained

ne12o
05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
hes gonna buy out the heat?

OH10
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Star free agents willing to go there: 0

Nobody is winning with mo williams as their best player

I mean baron davis lol

who said the cavs were gonna win with baron?

chlaxman
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
who said the cavs were gonna win with baron?

A huge part of Gilbert's problem is his willingness to spend huge money for very little. He never built a good supporting cast around James and a big portion of that was overpaying for average players.

Best owner? More like Dan Snyder v.2

tyronebiggums69
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
He definitely will put his money where his mouth is. All comes down to players wanting to go to Cleveland.

TheAntihero
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
nice of him to say that when a hard cap is coming

OH10
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
A huge part of Gilbert's problem is his willingness to spend huge money for very little. He never built a good supporting cast around James and a big portion of that was overpaying for average players.

Best owner? More like Dan Snyder v.2

Gilbert was only with Lebron for 5 years since he took over the team in 05-06, Danny Ferry was the one who made all the management decisions and the Cavs front office made sure to consult Lebron with every move to make sure he was OK with it. Lebron wanted Mo, Lebron wanted Shaq, Lebron wanted Antawn, Lebron wanted Larry Hughes, etc

And Gilbert has never overpayed anyone except Hughes and Donyell Marshall in the 2005 free agency which was a very weak free agency class, but yet again Lebron did want those guys to play with him.

A part of the reason why the Cavs never got any free agents like Ron Artest, Trevor Ariza, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, etc to come was because of his lack of recruitment and his unwillingness to commit long term to the franchise so he forced the Cavs front office to go into WIN NOW mode.

Amare has already stated he would of re-signed with the Cavs if Lebron did, so really Lebron is the one to blame for not getting him.

Lebron this past summer, 1 week being a member of the Miami Heat already waiting at an airport for Derek Fisher trying to recruit him, in Cleveland? Never tried to recruit once.

21Classic
05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Clear out that entire team

Paul

Howard

Derrick Willaims (draft)

solid profitable support players - no bullshiit

profit

Joe145
05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
There is only one way to build a good team. Get a superstar through the draft. People want to play with a superstar. Develop him, give him players to play around...

Inb4 he takes his talents to southbeach.

PatrickBateman1
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
LMFAOOOO

What a pathetic owner. He constantly makes an ass out of himself (lol @ his gay little letter to the fans last year... brb worst record in basketball) and the only chance he ever had to win a championship bolted for South Beach because Cleveland sucks so bad.

Not to mention... SALARY CAP. It wouldn't matter if he had insane amounts of money to spend, this isn't baseball.

PatrickBateman1
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Clear out that entire team

Paul

Howard

Derrick Willaims (draft)

solid profitable support players - no bullshiit

profit

Oh yeah I'm sure Chris Paul and Dwight Howard would be absolutely ecstatic about playing in Cleveland. lol.

turk75
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
As a life long Cavs fan, it was kinda tough this season.. but I still ended up going to about 15 or so games to cheer on my team.. Real fans don't care how bad they're doing or what their record is.. We're going to cheer for them no matter what & no matter who is on the roster.

All for one & one for all

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2408/clevelandcavaliers.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/clevelandcavaliers.jpg/)

3000RT
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
He definitely will put his money where his mouth is. All comes down to players wanting to go to Cleveland.

And if the Warriors new multi billion dollar owners want to get the same people...doesnt exactly look good for Cleveland

PatrickBateman1
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
As a life long Cavs fan, it was kinda tough this season.. but I still ended up going to about 15 or so games to cheer on my team.. Real fans don't care how bad they're doing or what their record is.. We're going to cheer for them no matter what & no matter who is on the roster.

All for one & one for all

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2408/clevelandcavaliers.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/clevelandcavaliers.jpg/)

No problem with fans being devout as long as they're not delusional (like the OP).

Question though, what the hell is up with the Indians fans? They have the best record in baseball but are dead last in attendance (both overall attendance and % of stadium capacity). Not to mention Jacob's Field is an awesome park.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Also, didn't the Cavs have absolutely awful attendance before Lebron? Almost seems like a lot of fans will go back to not caring after another year or two.

FatWhiteKid
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
You guys are all idiots. Do you not realize the changes that entire team has gone through? These guys aren't used to playing with each other, they'll need time to get that communication with each other down, and meanwhile we're getting more 1st round prospects in search of "that guy" like Durant. Nobody likes being on a losing team, but they're about to rebound hard as ****.

BeachBrah22
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Question though, what the hell is up with the Indians fans? They have the best record in baseball but are dead last in attendance (both overall attendance and % of stadium capacity). Not to mention Jacob's Field is an awesome park.

well the weather here has been complete **** so far

The one day we had nice weather on Friday there were over 50k and Travis Hafner hit a walk off

Should be sold out this weekend too against the reds

OH10
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
No problem with fans being devout as long as they're not delusional (like the OP).

Also, didn't the Cavs have absolutely awful attendance before Lebron? Almost seems like a lot of fans will go back to not caring after another year or two.

the weather has been terrible + people thought the team was gonna be ****ty

there was 33k in attendance last friday night, once school is out and the weather is always fine fans will show up

there's a reason why indians fans have the mlb record for consecutive sell outs

yeah brb expecting a good attendance when the team was tanking and gordon gund wasn't committed to winning like gilbert is

cleveland fans will always care about their team

krogtaar
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM

most people in cleveland cant afford tickets

turk75
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Well I've been to plenty of tribe games so far this year... I love going down there with the guys & having a great time... & Ticket prices are great, i actually just picked up 4 tickets for friday nights game against the Reds... (However the weather does suck ass right now in the northeast parts of America.. freaking 20 degree's below average.. might impact the attendance somewhat)

& I'm not to sure how the attendance was before lebron since i was only a kid then.. I didn't really have $$ to go games till i got out of Highschool & College. But since then I go to as many sporting events as i can.

I just hope we win something someday sooon, Its been way too long since Cleveland has won a Championship.

PatrickBateman1
05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
You guys are all idiots. Do you not realize the changes that entire team has gone through? These guys aren't used to playing with each other, they'll need time to get that communication with each other down, and meanwhile we're getting more 1st round prospects in search of "that guy" like Durant. Nobody likes being on a losing team, but they're about to rebound hard as ****.

Strong denial.

Onita
05-17-2011, 03:37 PM

It seems like its rained for about a month and a half straight.

209vaughn
05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
It's not like MLB or FIFA where you can spend your way to success...

OH10
05-17-2011, 03:41 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

spursbrah
05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Wow this guy has to be the biggest clown owner in basketball, worst than Mark Cuban.

evilsteve02
05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
too bad nobody wants to play anywhere except LA, New York, Miami or Chicago

pretty much.... but fo-real....spending the most money doesn't make him the best owner. Spending wisely and putting the right people in the front office is more important than just spending money. Look at all the other sports, how often does the team with the top payroll win the title.

I will say this, if i were a FA and i saw the facilities that the Cavs offer (practice, game, training, rehab..) i would sign with the Cavs...they have the best setup in the NBA becuase Dan Gilbert paid out the ass for that stuff, not to mention he will sell his sole to win. But, as a basketball player, they make their money with endorsements; so they will go to those major cities instead. Sorry but the Knicks, Clippers, and Heat are some of the worst ran organizations in sports, there is no reason other than outside endorsements to sign with those teams.

evilsteve02
05-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Bad weather mixed with people not fully ready to commit. I don't blame them. The TV raitings and merch sales are both at their heighest levels since 2001, so the people will come once the weather gets nice.

VTheKing
05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

pwned

It's like when people wonder how can Detroit sustain so many teams if the city is so depressed... there's something called a "metropolitan area" which surround the city and it's full of "suburbs", which are generally far better off than the central city.

turk75
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
pwned

It's like when people wonder how can Detroit sustain so many teams if the city is so depressed... there's something called a "metropolitan area" which surround the city and it's full of "suburbs", which are generally far better off than the central city.

Bingo... the trolls here don't realize Cleveland & its suburbs holds about 3million people.

AceHigh03
05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Too late

this and best owner is Cuban

dtbrehm
05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
lol @ his gay little letter to the fans last year
Dude, I seriously couldn't believe that letter was real life. Even when I saw it posted on their site, I thought someone hacked into their site or something.

this and best owner is Cuban
Meh. I think he's the most energetic owner and is really into the team, which is good obviously, but I don't like the way he builds a team.

P51
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
And thats saying a lot, lol. Cuban is a douche and a cry baby.

I live about 30 mins south of Cleveland and never have been to a Cavs game when lebron was there or after. I was a heat fan before the whole lebron thing(I like Wade), but now the only team I even watch is OKC.

However, I'm in the minority. Just today my news feed on Facebook was full of people who were happy that we got the 1st and 4th round picks.

AceHigh03
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Dude, I seriously couldn't believe that letter was real life. Even when I saw it posted on their site, I thought someone hacked into their site or something.

Meh. I think he's the most energetic owner and is really into the team, which is good obviously, but I don't like the way he builds a team.

him and jerry jones will spend money and get what they can ... now as far as building a team they are not the best at it

P51
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Thats because of the rain. I swear I have only seen the sun twice in the last month and a half. Has rained everyday for i'd say 45+ days at least.