PDA

View Full Version : Any Salmon fans here ?

FishChris
05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I swear I could eat Salmon EVERY freaking day ! :)

And interestingly, all during the bulk of my major weight loss, I did ! The farm raised type too.... with more fat. (only because of price and availability)

However, even the farm raised stuff is just too freaking expensive for my poor arse. So I had really cut back in the last year.

Anyway, since I got weathered out of my fishing trips this week (uuurggg :() (saving $100 in gas and day use fees) I decided to go to Costco, and pick up 6 lb of whey protein.... and as a treat for myself, 3 lbs of Salmon :) Mmmmmmmm !

So, I'm thinking that every other morning or so, instead of 6 egg whites, and a bowl of oatmeal with 2oz peanut butter, I will have an 8oz fillet of salmon, and a bowl of oatmeal without PB.... just some sugar free syrup instead.

I compared all of the nutrients, protein, and cals from my normal egg, and PB oatmeal breakfast, to the salmon and non-PB oatmeal, and its relatively close.

But it's going to taste SOOOO freaking good :)

Salmon, anyone ?

Fish

Shrederator
05-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah... salmon is pretty dank.

Would eat daily.

juliacheh
05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Salmon and shrimp-would eat all the time.

TheSlyKillah
05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I love salmon. It's my favorite fish source.

phal
05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Literally just got done eating some.

perumina
05-16-2011, 02:42 PM
yes i love salmon broiled and raw...we have it about 2 times a week...from costco mainly

TruthandJustice
05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I eat a pound of fish almost every day, but salmon not too often because is 2-3 times more expensive than stuff like tilapia and cod. Salmon is definitely my favorite though. Very flavorful even without putting anything on it.

lovingit
05-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Just had it for dinner. :D Made it with orange juice, lime juice, honey, sea salt and cracked pepper. So delicious.

almightyares
05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I like salmon, but the majority is farmed so I limit my intake. Plus chikin is cheaper.

FishChris
05-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Right on, thanks for the replies guys :)

BTW lovingit, Salmon, or whatever else your diet consists of, keep eating it ! You look freaking great :)

Peace,
Fish

FishChris
05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey almighty, I hear you. I wish I could afford, and find, wild Salmon all the time ! I did read a thing a little while ago, that put farmed Salmon in a "not so bad" light. It explained that farmed Salmon actually had MORE Omega 3 fats ! Granted, it also had more of the not so great Omega 6's, because basically, farmed Salmon just has a lot more fat in general.

So, like you said, limiting your intake (moderation) is probably a good thing too.

Peace,
Fish

PS, I like chicken too, but sometimes I feel like if I eat another bite, I might start growing feathers ! :) LOL

I like salmon, but the majority is farmed so I limit my intake. Plus chikin is cheaper.

almightyares
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Right on, thanks for the replies guys :)

BTW lovingit, Salmon, or whatever else your diet consists of, keep eating it ! You look freaking great :)

Peace,
Fish

LOL I didnt notice your name until now...

But we need some easy salmon recipes in here. I usually just make it blackened.

I was going to buy like 25lbs of wild salmon on a family-run website who own a fishing company in Alaska, but I actually can get wild frozen sockeye cheaper at a local store, because their shipping kills the deal.

And Chris, you probably can catch salmon for your dinner lol. I cant because I dont really have any fishing equipment.

yieldtonothing
05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
farking love salmon. my sushi spot does a roll with spicy salmon inside and fresh salmon on top.

cooking at home i throw it in the oven for about 20 minutes @400 degrees. usually brush a little walden farms maple syrup on top before i throw it in.

try it before you say "gross"

themoose333
05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
http://pichars.org/store/1134_original_6X42H.

But srsly salmon is great!

jake1224
05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't get how some people can eat 6 egg whites and call it a satisfying breakfast. I see it all the time and ugh.

FishChris
05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Right on :)

Ironically, with much of my life revolving around fishing, the Salmon fishing in my area (Nor Ca) has really gone to crap + even when it was a little better, I never really did much Salmon fishing.
So, I end up practicing Catch & Release with 98% of the fish I catch, then turn around and spend $9 a lb on farm raised Salmon at Costco ! Doh ! What's wrong with this picture ? :)

Peace,
Fish

LOL I didn't notice your name until now...

But we need some easy salmon recipes in here. I usually just make it blackened.

I was going to buy like 25lbs of wild salmon on a family-run website who own a fishing company in Alaska, but I actually can get wild frozen sockeye cheaper at a local store, because their shipping kills the deal.

And Chris, you probably can catch salmon for your dinner lol. I cant because I don't really have any fishing equipment.

FishChris
05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Dude, gross ??? Are you kidding me ! Done that ! LOVE IT ! :)

Try marinading it in some soy sauce first, then use the maple ! That's freaking screaming good too :)

Then of course if you can throw it on a B-B-Q grill..... Freaking off the hook !

Fish

farking love salmon. my sushi spot does a roll with spicy salmon inside and fresh salmon on top.

cooking at home i throw it in the oven for about 20 minutes @400 degrees. usually brush a little walden farms maple syrup on top before i throw it in.

try it before you say "gross"

Chuck2600
05-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Strong AV to thread ratio

Don't eat a big amout of salmon, once a month perhaps but I have cod maybe twice a week.

FishChris
05-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Jake, it's like this, IMPO egg whites taste like pretty much nothing..... good or bad.

But by the time I end up covering them with a bunch of McCormacks Smokehouse maple seasoning, black pepper, and a little season salt..... then pour about a half a cup of sugar free maple syrup on them > "Nothing but flavor" ! :)

If it doesn't taste good, you just need more sweet and salty ;)

Then throw in my 3/4 cup of peanut butter oatmeal, with some more Splenda, and SF syrup of course, and personally speaking, I find it pretty satisfying :) .......
I'd find it a little more satifying to bump the oatmeal up to 1 cup, double the PB, and bump the egg whites from 6 jumbo's, to 8.... But I'm on a cut right now...

Fish

I don't get how some people can eat 6 egg whites and call it a satisfying breakfast. I see it all the time and ugh.

PWOGasMan
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Twice a week here! .75lb fliets mmm

NZDarren
05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Love it

I often throw it into a giant omlet to make a crazy protein breakfast.

Anyone else have any good receipes?

I like to buy a huge salmon from Costco and cook it on the bbq, yummmm

FishChris
05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey NZD, that thing that YeildTo and I were talking about....

Brushing on a bunch of maple syrup.... but try marinading it in soy sauce for a few hours first... overnight if you really like soy sauce...

Then, like we both agree > The B-B-Q grille will take it over the top !

Fish

Love it

I often throw it into a giant omlet to make a crazy protein breakfast.

Anyone else have any good receipes?

I like to buy a huge salmon from Costco and cook it on the bbq, yummmm

FishChris
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey I just had to add this >

I marinaded a nice fillet of that Salmon I bought yesterday in soy sauce overnight. Grilled it a non-stick pan with just a touch of olive oil. I went pretty light on seasonings, just a little season salt, and black pepper.
But here's the kicker ;) Their was only about 1/2 cup of sugar free syrup left in my current bottle, so I poured a small shot of maple flavoring in it. Interestngly, it made the syrup twice as thick when I mixed it in ?
Anyway, poured that over my soy sauce marinaded Salmon, and holy $#!+ !!!! It was like food sex :)

Oh, and the side dish was a bowl of rolled oats, with a fat scoop of sugar free orange marmelade, and a good shot of Molina mexican vanilla :) (anybody like orange cream bars ? :))

Going to be a great early workout today ! :)

Peace,
Fish

And my double sized, triple strength cup of coffee... Whooo Hooo ! Breakfast of champions :)

sweethunibabi
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Maple Barbecue McCormick seasoning. Broil for 3-4minutes per side. YUM. :)

I also like it marinated in greek-style vinaigrette/topped with...(olive oil, oregano and feta). I have a hard time getting enough fats and salmon sure helps me!

HoustonTXMuscle
05-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Once a day (7 ounces) for the last 2 months in my post-workout snack. This month with 4 oz. of green beans. Last month with 8 brussel sprouts. Am getting to the point where I detest the colors pink and green together. Quite frankly, I'd much rather have cod which contains considerably less fat.

eatyourspinach
05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
i eat lots n lots of salmon, farmed, wild, canned, smoked all that just a question though do you eat the skin? i love the stuff but as far as macros go i know thats where a lot of the fat is so just wondering if you or anybody else eats the skin?

deadpool9
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
My grandfather mixes salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast often. Its really good, alongside some gravy and biscuits.

FishChris
05-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks again guys,

Sweethuni, I wish that were my problem :) I could eat a pound of cashews in one sitting, and get WAY more fat than I needed... and a few avacado's... a huge blob of PB..... cook my eggs in 1/2 cup olive oil, instead of a tablespoon. Let's see... what else ?

Houston, one of the best parts of the Salmon is the fat ! Arguably the best form of fat on the planet :) It was totally worth leaving out my Cashews and PB for today.

Eatyour, hmmmm..... as much as I love Salmon..... I dunno' about the skin.... or Salmon eggs either. Great bait for Sturgeon though :)

Deadpool,
My grandfather mixes salmon and scrambled eggs
Sounds plenty tasty..... but it would be like having protein, with your protein :) I was kind of happy about conserving my eggs for an extra day, by cooking Salmon this morning instead.

But the best thing of all, is that I have 5 more Salmon fillets in the freezer, to defrost and cook on optimum training days ;) Whoo Hoo !

Peace,
Fish

almightyares
05-17-2011, 09:56 PM
This thread inspired me to eat some salmon, had a nice 9oz filet baked in the oven in a shallow pan of water, then topped with a sauce of sauteed onions with soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, minced garlic, shallots, and brown sugar. Served with a huge side of fresh steamed broccoli, and some garlic bread. Freaking awesome!

ianisby
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Four weeks or so and I'll be eating fresh Alaskan Salmon on the regular!
As long as the runs get better that is, they shut loads of rivers down early last season :(

Camping+freshest salmon possible+friends+AK wildlife=goodtime

tagun
05-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Ohai.

I've been eating salmon DAILY (wild caught, canned) for the past year and a half. Literally, daily.

This, a can of sardines and a chicken breast have been my protein staple from the start!

FishChris
05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
You had to rub that in, didn't you ? :)

Fish

Four weeks or so and I'll be eating fresh Alaskan Salmon on the regular!
As long as the runs get better that is, they shut loads of rivers down early last season :(

Camping+freshest salmon possible+friends+AK wildlife=goodtime

jst1225
05-18-2011, 10:36 AM
6oz salmon, generous tablespoon of horseradish, lemon juice, salt and pepper mix that up and u got some bangin salmon salad (can even add a little bit of mayo if u want)