PDA

View Full Version : how to tally cheat meal/restaurant meal?

Rebuilt
05-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I had a cheat meal yesterday.

Spicy Tangerine chicken and some white rice.

I cand find any nutritional info on this item. it was from California wok, and their website lists nutritional data for most other food items, but not this one.. That alone makes me think its probably pretty hi in the counts.

I've been using FitDay PC to log all my meals, etc. over the last week and it is really helping me visualise what is going on. But, Im having a problem of what to enter for last nights cheat meal.

How do you all count your macros when it comes to cheat meals, or any other restaurant meals?

-thanks

NeedANick
05-14-2011, 10:17 AM

I cand find any nutritional info on this item. it was from California wok, and their website lists nutritional data for most other food items, but not this one.. That alone makes me think its probably pretty hi in the counts.

I've been using FitDay PC to log all my meals, etc. over the last week and it is really helping me visualise what is going on. But, Im having a problem of what to enter for last nights cheat meal.

How do you all count your macros when it comes to cheat meals, or any other restaurant meals?

-thanks

I'm on the same boat. I'm lost when I eat something with no nutritional fact. I can't guess the weight or the ingredients =/

TelusLob
05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Deconstruct the ingredients in it best you can and over-estimate.

EXistentialist
05-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't tally it. Enjoy it, get away from the cutting madness for the hour it took you to eat it, and now back on track -- tally your meals again.

A cheat meal is beneficial for sanity purposes, to give you that goal at the end of the week to keep going, but also to reset your metabolism.

dukend
05-14-2011, 11:17 AM

This is what I do. Overestimating is key too

SOJA
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Don't tally it. Enjoy it, get away from the cutting madness for the hour it took you to eat it, and now back on track -- tally your meals again.

A cheat meal is beneficial for sanity purposes, to give you that goal at the end of the week to keep going, but also to reset your metabolism.
^...

DJBrickman
05-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I use Calorie Counter (free download for Android phones) from fatsecret.com. it has a list of restaraunts that is great. Very little that I eat isn't in there. As for my cheat meals, I do not count on that day. It has not hampered me in my progress at all. Right now I am bulking with 5000 Cal a day, but even when cutting, not counting that day did not hurt me. I only cheated once a Mont. Always on UFC nights.

wonkers
05-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I use Calorie Counter (free download for Android phones) from fatsecret.com. it has a list of restaraunts that is great. Very little that I eat isn't in there. As for my cheat meals, I do not count on that day. It has not hampered me in my progress at all. Right now I am bulking with 5000 Cal a day, but even when cutting, not counting that day did not hurt me. I only cheated once a Mont. Always on UFC nights.

Get Mealsnap (http://mealsnap.com/) on your iPhone (if you have one). It's pretty impressive when you have nothing else to go by. You snap a pic of your food and in seconds it returns a pretty useful result I have found in most cases.

Still not sure how their technology works.

Rebuilt
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
thanks for all the input.

I think what I am going to do this time is just make a note of it, and not worry about counting the macros, etc..

today I cut back to only one meal, and a diet soda to make up for overdoing it yesterday. tomorrow I will be back on track

alex2363
05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the input.

I think what I am going to do this time is just make a note of it, and not worry about counting the macros, etc..

today I cut back to only one meal, and a diet soda to make up for overdoing it yesterday. tomorrow I will be back on track

there u go...also that soda can make u bloated due to carbonation, i stopped last year and my waist line shrinked in 2 weeks. felt less bloated and stopped fart%$#%$ing all the time too...lol:)

rob112
05-14-2011, 09:48 PM

This. Or if it is something that a similar restaurant has with nutritional info you can guess around that, but really all you can do is guess. As ^^^^^ says your better off over estimating some if you just guess.

EDIT: looking into mealsnap out of curiosity. Will test on food I know to test it if I download it to check accuracy.

kmal2t
05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
myfitnesspal.com has a **** ton of stuff and will almost always have something very similar to a food you get.

wonkers
06-11-2011, 03:32 AM
This. Or if it is something that a similar restaurant has with nutritional info you can guess around that, but really all you can do is guess. As ^^^^^ says your better off over estimating some if you just guess.

EDIT: looking into mealsnap out of curiosity. Will test on food I know to test it if I download it to check accuracy.

did you ever end up trying mealsnap?

VGPOP
06-11-2011, 05:05 AM
This is what I dont understand about cheat meals. If you still under a calorie deficit when you eat a cheat meal. Is it still considered a cheat meal?

geo1236
06-11-2011, 05:24 AM
www.calorieking.com
u can enter any restaurant name and find out the nutrition fact of each recipe or u can just type any food ..find out :)

Jessevale
06-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the links guys, I'm gonna check out that meal snap. I was wondering about this too.

Regardless of cheat meal, I think the little bit of worry is negative for stress but positive in that you guilt yourself into putting in extra hard on cardio the next day or week. Little bit hypocritical there since I haven't started major cardio, but it seems like a good thing.

Btw, for those that have needed a huge cut not to lower bf from 15 to 10 but to actually stop being obese, how often did you cheat? I still can't help myself to the bar on the weekends, including wings or nachos - and I'm a heavy drinker. I do cut down to diet pop for mix, but the beer still hurts.

Innerpeace32
06-11-2011, 05:42 AM

-thanks

Its most likely around the calorie numbers of this receipt.

Spicy Tangerine Chicken

http://www.food.com/recipe/szechwan-spicy-tangerine-chicken-276736#ixzz1OyEjZCkO

Around 300 calories for chicken 150 for rice...if you ate one serving of each.

wonkers
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM
www.calorieking.com
u can enter any restaurant name and find out the nutrition fact of each recipe or u can just type any food ..find out :)

the nutrition and breakdown is not the problem for recipes. it is the serving size that i have a hard time estimating. dont know what exactly each item weighs without a scale and it gets harder for mixed recipes.

Electricheadd
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM

^^This is what I do^^

suole
06-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I dont know why but I really enjoy watching other people eat unhealthy stuff.. lol.. I usually go for the salads at resteraunts, or salad bars.. I just tally the fats like olives,dressings and proteins in that case. I try to stay away from stuff that can't really be estimable. But im anal about my diet, maybe a little to much.

wonkers
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I dont know why but I really enjoy watching other people eat unhealthy stuff.. lol.. I usually go for the salads at resteraunts, or salad bars.. I just tally the fats like olives,dressings and proteins in that case. I try to stay away from stuff that can't really be estimable. But im anal about my diet, maybe a little to much.

ok so you can do spoonfool of dressing, etc but what about estimating the quantity of tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, corn, peas, etc? do you know enough to convert the eyeball measurement to weight or is it something else? I can see this is somewhere that improves with practice (at home most likely with a scale) but can you get really good at it?

i enjoy good salad bars and find them delicious. also many places have low cal or low fat dressing choices that can be great.

suole
06-12-2011, 12:11 PM
ok so you can do spoonfool of dressing, etc but what about estimating the quantity of tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, corn, peas, etc? do you know enough to convert the eyeball measurement to weight or is it something else? I can see this is somewhere that improves with practice (at home most likely with a scale) but can you get really good at it?

i enjoy good salad bars and find them delicious. also many places have low cal or low fat dressing choices that can be great.

Well I have been measuring my food for a while now, so I have a good idea of how much I eat, its almost second nature to me. EX.. I count the number of olives, ladles of dressings, number of boiled eggs, other stuff is a little bit harder, like the lettuce, and other veggies, which is low cal stuff anyway.