PDA

View Full Version : Carb source when dieting?

chrisrico
02-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Hey, what's the best type of carb source when trying to loose body fat? I know most people say stay away from fructose, galactose, ect....

Blindfaith
02-10-2002, 03:54 PM
whole grains my friend.....and stay away from white flour products....they arent good for ya! Peace!

Original Poster
02-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Blindfaith
whole grains my friend.....and stay away from white flour products....they arent good for ya! Peace!

Hey, there is something we agree on. LOL

Tim
02-11-2002, 01:49 PM
I personally think that best carb sources when dieting are fiberous veggies like spinach, peppers, onions, lettuce, and brocolli. When I cut I avoid things like potatoes, yams, oatmeal, and rice.

Iron-T
02-11-2002, 02:19 PM
i agree with Tim. Stick to complex carbs and preferably fiberrich veggies. They are lower in calories and add to satiety.
Also reduce you carb intake as the day progresses and as you tend to be more sedentary later in the day. You can have some oatmeal or whole grain cereal ( low sugar ) in the a.m to give you enough energy to start the day and for your workout...then stick to veggies like spinach, lettuce, green beans, tomatos, broc****....

Blindfaith
02-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Chi_town

Hey, there is something we agree on. LOL

cheers brother! :) Peace!

Original Poster
02-12-2002, 07:01 AM
I guess for the first thought of carbs, yes whole grains.
But I'll also third the motion for fiberous veggies.

TheManofSteel
02-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Why avoid Oatmeal on a cutting phase!?!? I am cutting right now and the only time I take in carbs is my first meal of the day which is a bowl of oatmeal or a whole grain cereal bar (between 19g & 30g carbs).I mean what else can you have for breakfast? Yes I know eggs but I dun have ebnough time for that....

toolegit2quit
02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Currently 5.5 weeks out from an NPC show and my breakfast meal is:

6 egg whites
2 yolks
5 oz 95% lean beef
1/2 grapefruit

in 1/2 grapefruit there is something like 3 grams of carbs - and grapefruit illicilts a mild thermic effect...

The only other carbs i eat all day are 1 tomato with meal 2, 4 cups salad with meal 3, 4 strawberries with meal 4, and 2 cups brocolli with meal 5. It's roughly about 75 grams of carbs per day minus about 25-30 grams of dietary fiber.

from weeks 12-6 i was using 1/2 cup of oatmeal but my dietary technician for the show told me to switch to the grapefruit to cut carbs and curb the appetite.

At first it was tough because i love oatmeal but I do a carb load every monday and thursday for my last meal (meal 6) right before bed so that it will all go to glycogen replenishment while i sleep - give it a try if you're seriously low on carbs.

Blindfaith
02-12-2002, 09:22 PM
interesting about the grapefruit and its thermogenic ability......i didnt know that! I guess u learn something new everyday! Peace!

Original Poster
02-13-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by TheManofSteel
Why avoid Oatmeal on a cutting phase!?!? I am cutting right now and the only time I take in carbs is my first meal of the day which is a bowl of oatmeal or a whole grain cereal bar (between 19g & 30g carbs).I mean what else can you have for breakfast? Yes I know eggs but I dun have ebnough time for that....

I think why most of us avoid the carbs when cutting is we are using a keto diet.

If your not going keto, I don't think oatmeal (am) will hurt.

Carbs,fat,protein blahblahblah.

Weight Loss = Calories Taken In - Calories expended (or used).

mafia
02-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by toolegit2quit
in 1/2 grapefruit there is something like 3 grams of carbs - and grapefruit illicilts a mild thermic effect...

whats that??

toolegit2quit
02-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Thermogenic effect is the ability to heat up the body to burn off calories. So taking into account that a half grapefruit has something like 35 calories and just under 9 grams of carbs it pretty much burns those calories away almost instantaneously.

Anxed
02-14-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by toolegit2quit
Thermogenic effect is the ability to heat up the body to burn off calories. So taking into account that a half grapefruit has something like 35 calories and just under 9 grams of carbs it pretty much burns those calories away almost instantaneously.

huh... thats the greatest news Ive received since.. uh.... well.. I dont know.. cant think of anything clever at the moment, but I love grapefruit... *mental note: buy more grapefruits *

Captin Swole
02-16-2002, 05:03 PM
best sources are
fiberous veggies
whole grain breads
brown rice
regular ****ty tasting oatmeal
sweet potatos

post workout
dextrose
maltodex
never fructose

kgartin
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I personally think that best carb sources when dieting are fiberous veggies like spinach, peppers, onions, lettuce, and brocolli. When I cut I avoid things like potatoes, yams, oatmeal, and rice.

No sweet potatoes (yams)?? What's wrong with those?

What about brown rice? Everything I've heard is that it's a good source of carbs (not sure if that was related to a cutting phase though)...

npellegrino
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM

When i'm short on time I pour my egg whites into a coffee cup throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes then eat, i mean their not great but its a fast meal.

ZidaneValor
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
3oz yogurt: 8g
50g oatmeal: 33g
50g blueberries: 8g
1 TBS peanut butter: 4g
3 whole eggs: 3g
236g cooked brown rice: 68g
1 apple: 33g
4 scoops whey: 15g
1 scoop ON 2:1:1: 35g
1 scoop casein: 4g
20 oz gatorade: 37g
200g sweet potato: 41g

Total: 289g grams

Soilworker
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Oatmeal is probably one of the best foods you could eat for carbs in cut phases if your cutting on a non keto or low carb diet, if your on a carb rich diet for your cutting oatmeal is a must.

Oatmeal digests very slowly for 1
Oatmeal also is packed with protein as well as fiber for 2
Oatmeal is a very heavy food and will leave you feeling full for hours for 3

Another very interesting fact about oatmeal... I have learned this from a friend of mine who has a in kinesiology and a BA in nutrition... Oatmeal turns into a paste when digested AND absorbs other nutrients to slow their absorption if consumed with multi vitamins it actually preserves the vitamins and minerals for slow dispersion throughout the day and can deliver a slow dose of vitamins and minerals for up to 4 hours of your morning...

Don't be so quick to throw oatmeal under the bus boys!

PirateFace
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure I buy into grapefruit having a thermic effect - this was the basis of a fad diet not long ago. It's still a good option, just don't eat five of them and expect a net loss.

One thing to be wary of with grapefruit - it DOES cause drug interactions. So if you're taking any serious medications, especially a MAOI inhibitor, don't eat grapefruit or drink the juice without talking to a doctor first.

Gusthebus
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Lol @ people who avoid carbs on a cut. I eat oats yams breads on a cut every meal. Losing bf too u mad?

ZidaneValor
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
http://pic.phyrefile.com/s/st/stevanford/2009/11/16/holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

MCrow
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Basically, any carb from a natural source is the best carb, minus sugar.

Veggies,fruits,whole grains

You don't need to avoid carbs while losing fat but eat them in moderation and eat the best kinds.

JeffyDOS
07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Lol @ people who avoid carbs on a cut. I eat oats yams breads on a cut every meal. Losing bf too u mad?

Seriously... I love carbs.
I planned out a carb cycle, and my low days still have 140-150g carbs.

lerider
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Potatoes are the big savior for me. 17g carbs / 100g potatoes. Compared to pasta / rice / bread which often is above 60g carbs / 100g, you could basically eat three times as much potatoes than pasta and still get fewer calories.

The starch is yummy yummy for the muscles too :D