PDA

View Full Version : help restoring metabolism after large calorie deficit advice!!!

MAGnitude
05-05-2011, 06:59 AM
hi everyone,

just seeking some advice on how i can normalise my metabolism after years of low calories and high exercise.

cheers for any advice

ven33
05-05-2011, 07:01 AM
hi everyone,

just seeking some advice on how i can normalise my metabolism after years of low calories and high exercise.

cheers for any advice

slowly increase caloric intake.

MAGnitude
05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
slowly increase caloric intake.

cheers for input

futerpe
05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm going through the same thing right now. I've been cutting hard for about 2 years, and my metabolism was completely shot. I was eating about 1,700-1,800 a day, and I could not force myself to go any lower. So I'm taking a break now, and attempting to add some lean mass.

I increased my calories by 200, and kept it there for 2 weeks. Eating at 2,000 calories a day and monitoring my weight. I actually lost weight...don't know how, because I was even doing less cardio. I increased my calories by another 200, and I've had it there for about 2 weeks now. I'm gaining a little weight, but not much. I would like to keep this up for about 6 months, and then I will return to finish my cut after I put on some lean mass.

My advice: increase your calories very slow, and monitor your weight weekly. Bodybuilding is all about discipline, so don't make any sudden changes in your diet.

AlexFromPT
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
You should've had refeed days throughout the cut... Slowly up the cals

MAGnitude
05-06-2011, 05:38 AM
cheers guys for all advice

Beech27
05-06-2011, 05:47 AM
In order to recharge both mentally and physically, I think it's helpful to eat like a normal person for at least a week or two. Don't binge, mindful of future dieting, but rather eat whatever sounds good at the time. Forget macros for a while, and just eat.

AustrianOakJr
05-06-2011, 07:18 AM
In order to recharge both mentally and physically, I think it's helpful to eat like a normal person for at least a week or two. Don't binge, mindful of future dieting, but rather eat whatever sounds good at the time. Forget macros for a while, and just eat.

For a metabolism that has truly crashed this can put on a lot of bodyfat very quickly. Tell a bodybuilder just out of competition to eat whatever he wants and some people can put on 20 lbs in a matter of days.

As for the correct way to build metabolism, i agree with the others. Slowly up your cals....preferably carbs. I usually give myself an initial 50g of carbs and 5g of fat as I come out of a diet.....eat, wait a week and evaluate. Then slowly add carbs and fat as my weight comes up very slowly. Once metabolism has been rehabbed for a bit, you can get away with eating like "a normal person" if you want to take a break.

MAGnitude
05-08-2011, 08:02 AM
You should've had refeed days throughout the cut... Slowly up the cals

For a metabolism that has truly crashed this can put on a lot of bodyfat very quickly. Tell a bodybuilder just out of competition to eat whatever he wants and some people can put on 20 lbs in a matter of days.

As for the correct way to build metabolism, i agree with the others. Slowly up your cals....preferably carbs. I usually give myself an initial 50g of carbs and 5g of fat as I come out of a diet.....eat, wait a week and evaluate. Then slowly add carbs and fat as my weight comes up very slowly. Once metabolism has been rehabbed for a bit, you can get away with eating like "a normal person" if you want to take a break.

cheers guys for all input.

i think i may eat at maintenance for a few weeks starting this coming week. i have upped my cals by 200-300 and have put a lb or two on, but for some weird reason i am a lot leaner with some also minimal but visible muscular gains. i pretty much worked it out, i was eating probably 1000-1200 cals under maintenance, of which i will never do again whilst training like i was.