PDA

View Full Version : Judge my meal replacement shake.

Justin_itm
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I typically drink 1-2 shakes a day. Once after I work out and another if I'm feeling hungry but don't have time/motivation to cook. I'm just getting back into the bodybuilding groove. I'll break it down by macro's and ingredients. Take into consideration I am bulking.

Cals = 1175
Carbs = 133
Protein = 71.5
Fat = 42.5

Recipe: Take 1 cup of whole oats and blend it into powder. Then add 1 table spoon of nutral peanut butter, 1 scoop of whey(gold standard). 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of flax seed, 1 egg, 1 cup of whole milk, 1 banana, 1 piece of 90% dark chocolate (10g's), 1 cup of water.

Hows this sound?

DRstalepunch
05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
from what teh stickies say, as long as its under your macros, you are fine

sonofpiggybank
05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I typically drink 1-2 shakes a day. Once after I work out and another if I'm feeling hungry but don't have time/motivation to cook. I'm just getting back into the bodybuilding groove. I'll break it down by macro's and ingredients. Take into consideration I am bulking.

Cals = 1175
Carbs = 133
Protein = 71.5
Fat = 42.5

Recipe: Take 1 cup of whole oats and blend it into powder. Then add 1 table spoon of nutral peanut butter, 1 scoop of whey(gold standard). 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of flax seed, 1 egg, 1 cup of whole milk, 1 banana, 1 piece of 90% dark chocolate (10g's), 1 cup of water.

Hows this sound?

It sounds epic.

Seriously though, if the drink is killing your appetite and you aren't ready to eat again in a few hours, maybe try lowering the fat by subbing whole milk for 2% or skim.

Why the flax seed?

Justin_itm
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
It sounds epic.

Seriously though, if the drink is killing your appetite and you aren't ready to eat again in a few hours, maybe try lowering the fat by subbing whole milk for 2% or skim.

Why the flax seed?

It is very epic indeed. I hate CC, but I don't even taste it in a drink. I can never finish my oatmeal breakfast other then blending it up and drinking it.

Quite honestly I'm always thinking about food so I wouldn't say its killing my appetite. I just can't seem to get back into the groove of cooking constantly. I've been going to the gym for just over a month so everything is falling into place one step at a time.

I throw the flax seed in there because I heard it was a great source of Omega-3's and fiber. It's cheap, so why not flax seed?

The shake IS high in fat content. The way I see it, these healthy forms of fat slow down the overall digestion. Making this a better suited meal replacement then standard shake. I also read that real dark chocolate can be beneficial to test. levels. I basically drink the same thing after a work out with minor adjustments. Less fats, and 2 scoops of whey opposed to 1.

sonofpiggybank
05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
It is very epic indeed. I hate CC, but I don't even taste it in a drink. I can never finish my oatmeal breakfast other then blending it up and drinking it.

Quite honestly I'm always thinking about food so I wouldn't say its killing my appetite. I just can't seem to get back into the groove of cooking constantly. I've been going to the gym for just over a month so everything is falling into place one step at a time.

I throw the flax seed in there because I heard it was a great source of Omega-3's and fiber. It's cheap, so why not flax seed?

The shake IS high in fat content. The way I see it, these healthy forms of fat slow down the overall digestion. Making this a better suited meal replacement then standard shake. I also read that real dark chocolate can be beneficial to test. levels. I basically drink the same thing after a work out with minor adjustments. Less fats, and 2 scoops of whey opposed to 1.

My apologies, you wrote replacement shake, and I was thinking post workout shake. Keep the fat in it.

I would personally toss the flax seed out. You could add some shredded coconut for healthy fat (mct's) and fiber.

There is nothing conclusive about flax seed lignans and estrogen. I've seen it argued that it may be an estrogen agonist and other say it binds with the estrogen to help flush it out of your system. I would just play it safe by adding a few caps of fish oil for omega 3's. If you can't stomach the fish oil you should eat walnuts then.

Fish oil contains EPA and DHA (the healthy stuff when people talk about omega 3s). Flax seed does not contain EPA and DHA; they contain ALA which don't convert well to EPA and DHA. If you were a woman, I would say add the flax seed; I'd just skip them if I were you, why risk it.

mannydawg
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
My apologies, you wrote replacement shake, and I was thinking post workout shake. Keep the fat in it.

I would personally toss the flax seed out. You could add some shredded coconut for healthy fat (mct's) and fiber.

There is nothing conclusive about flax seed lignans and estrogen. I've seen it argued that it may be an estrogen agonist and other say it binds with the estrogen to help flush it out of your system. I would just play it safe by adding a few caps of fish oil for omega 3's. If you can't stomach the fish oil you should eat walnuts then.

Fish oil contains EPA and DHA (the healthy stuff when people talk about omega 3s). Flax seed does not contain EPA and DHA; they contain ALA which don't convert well to EPA and DHA. If you were a woman, I would say add the flax seed; I'd just skip them if I were you, why risk it.

why would it even matter in that case? (what i bolded)

Justin_itm
05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
why would it even matter in that case? (what i bolded)

I think it would matter because all the fat would slow the protein digestion. After a work out you want to get all that protein into the muscles asap.

I just got back from the gym. I was pushing some serious weight (for me at least). I haven't felt that strong in a long time. I think this is going to become my pre-work out shake. Although, I did feel as if I was really bloated(not good on leg day). Regardless it was worth the energy. When I got home I just mixed 1 scoop of whey with 1 cup of water and a banana for my post work out. I feel really stuffed, but all in all I'd say it was worth it.

Once I finish this flax I'll switch to fish oil. I also plan on doing a bit more research on the difference.

mannydawg
05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I think it would matter because all the fat would slow the protein digestion. After a work out you want to get all that protein into the muscles asap.

I just got back from the gym. I was pushing some serious weight (for me at least). I haven't felt that strong in a long time. I think this is going to become my pre-work out shake. Although, I did feel as if I was really bloated(not good on leg day). Regardless it was worth the energy. When I got home I just mixed 1 scoop of whey with 1 cup of water and a banana for my post work out. I feel really stuffed, but all in all I'd say it was worth it.

Once I finish this flax I'll switch to fish oil. I also plan on doing a bit more research on the difference.

No you are terribly misinformed. Fat in your post workout meal is perfectly fine. You do not need to eat immediately after your workout either.

Fish oil is superior to flax because of the EPA and DHA

WorldStrike
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Hows this sound?
How's it taste?

Justin_itm
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
How's it taste?

Its tolerable. Its not the flavor that I don't enjoy. It tastes fine. Its the grainy texture due to the oats. It took a while to get used to. I try to just down it in 1 or 2 gulps. Other then that its awesome!