PDA

View Full Version : Calories in certain foods

macandal
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Most of the time I bring my lunch to work. Since I'm counting calories, this is the easiest, most convenient (not to mention cheapest) way to track down how many calories I ingest. However, every once in a while, I go to places near where I work and pick something to eat. The things I usually eat are:

Turkey sandwich: on dark rye, mustard, tomatoes, pickles, pepperoncini, lettuce, and the turkey is fresh roasted (skinless). It appears all is white meat.

Steak burrito: black beans (the boiled kind, not the refried); no cheese, no sour cream. Just meat, beans, rice, and salsa (which is all veggies).

Pho: the Vietnamese soup. With the rice noodles and the lean beef, with the sprouts, basil, and jalapeņo peppers.

Can you guys help me guess how many calories do each of these have? Bringing my own lunch is the best way to go, for the reasons I mentioned above, but sometimes I have to go and get something.

Thanks.

usethejitz
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Just go on google and look up the nutritional info on the different items you listed and add them together. Not much to it.

We have no idea of the quantities and size of what you are eating. You have a better idea. Go on a site like livestrong or caloriecount and find the information.

Overall, they seem like fine choices and a solid meal and nothing I would worry about too much.

--Jitz--

macandal
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Just go on google and look up the nutritional info on the different items you listed and add them together.

--Jitz--Thanks, Jitz. I did that. The reason I'm asking it here is because the differences in calories are big. I saw one (about Pho) that ranged from about 400 to 1500! That's why I asked. If the range were closer (say, 400 to 500), I would simply choose a mid range and go with that. Thanks.

usethejitz
04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Jitz. I did that. The reason I'm asking it here is because the differences in calories are big. I saw one (about Pho) that ranged from about 400 to 1500! That's why I asked. If the range were closer (say, 400 to 500), I would simply choose a mid range and go with that. Thanks.

I'd estimate the sandwich maybe 100-200 calories from turkey, 250-300 calories from bread, veggies and mustard maybe like 50. I'd say around 500-600 cals.

Steak burrito completely depends on the cut of steak so this one is hard to tell, nonetheless, it seems like a normal meal just basically steak and rice. I'd say this has more calories than the sandwich no doubt though. This could be in the 700 - 800 range

The soup is maybe 400 - 500 if I had to guess.

They all are fine meals, just know that the burrito probably also has the largest protein content but most calories.

--Jitz--

belairdfence99
04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Jitz. I did that. The reason I'm asking it here is because the differences in calories are big. I saw one (about Pho) that ranged from about 400 to 1500! That's why I asked. If the range were closer (say, 400 to 500), I would simply choose a mid range and go with that. Thanks.

Lol, Jitz, what a name.

OP just use http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ and you can find out how many calories you need and how many calories are in certain foods.

usethejitz
04-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Lol, Jitz, what a name.

OP just use http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ and you can find out how many calories you need and how many calories are in certain foods.

It's a nickname I've had for a long time because I do Jiu Jitsu haha. I'm a loser :(

macandal
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
OP just use http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/...Thanks.

macandal
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I'd estimate...

They all are fine meals, just know that the burrito probably also has the largest protein content but most calories.

--Jitz--Thanks.

macandal
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
I do Jiu Jitsu...:(I've been interested in Jiu Jitsu for a while now.

usethejitz
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I've been interested in Jiu Jitsu for a while now.

It's great cardio and a lot of fun as long as you are not severely homophobic haha.