PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Fruit Shake?

delacroix
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Hello Guys,

I'm new on the boards - long time lurker - first time poster.
I want to ask a question about my diet but before that here is what I do:

I'm working out regularly for the past 6 or so months.

Day 1 - Workout + 40 minute High Interval Cardio
Day 2 - Workout + 40 minute High Interval Cardio
Day 3 - Workout + 40 minute High Interval Cardio
Day 4 - Workout + 40 minute High Interval Cardio
Day 5 - 40 minute High Interval Cardio
Day 6 - Day Off
Day 7 - 40 minute High Interval Cardio

As the supplements I'm taking a protein shake right after the work out - and for the fat loss and energy I'm taking 2000mg L-Carnitine in liquid form arounf 20 minutes before each cardio.

I'm looking to achieve a slim yet defined look - and it's going pretty well so far.

I'm not smoker. I'm not consuming any alcohol. I'm not eating any fast-food or drinking any sodas. For my diet - I can say that I'm pretty good so far..although I'm not following a strict diet..I'm eating about 350gr chicken breast everyday for one of my main meals..around 2 spoons of peanut butter on a small piece of white bread as a snack..and rest of the meals..I'm making smoothies purely of fresh fruits..no added sugars or water.

A typical fresh fruit smoothie I make consists of:

Juice from 4 x Medium Oranges / Grapefruit
2 x Bananas
Handfull of Berries
Half a Pineapple

I prepare this once during morning and once after the dinner.

What I want to ask here is..am I consuming way too much fruit / juice? Or is there nothing to worry about.

Cruxxe
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
What I want to ask here is..am I consuming way too much fruit / juice? Or is there nothing to worry about.

It depends on your macros you're looking to hit each day. You would be consuming too much in fruits/juice if that pushed you over your carb limit for the day.

Have you calculated your macronutrient goals yet?

mannydawg
04-23-2011, 03:26 PM
the only downside to that much fruit would be stomach discomfort and or diarrhea caused by eating too much fructose in one sitting. But if you can tolerate it then there is nothing wrong with it.

delacroix
04-23-2011, 03:32 PM
It depends on your macros you're looking to hit each day. You would be consuming too much in fruits/juice if that pushed you over your carb limit for the day.

Have you calculated your macronutrient goals yet?

To tell the truth I have no idea what a "macronutrient goal" means. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

themoose333
04-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Like others have said there's nothing inherently wrong with that much fruit each day unless it gives you problems or makes "hitting your macros" difficult

I prefer switching things up with oats or sweet potatos myself, but if that's what you like go for it!

delacroix
04-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Like others have said there's nothing inherently wrong with that much fruit each day unless it gives you problems or makes "hitting your macros" difficult

I prefer switching things up with oats or sweet potatos myself, but if that's what you like go for it!

It really helps me to stay sane haha. Also it helped me a lot to no longer crave any desserts like in the beginning days of what I call switching into "a healthy lifestyle".

themoose333
04-23-2011, 03:42 PM
It really helps me to stay sane haha. Also it helped me a lot to no longer crave any desserts like in the beginning days of what I call switching into "a healthy lifestyle".

Then stick with it man! Sure some fruits may be high in sugar but they're pretty nutritent dense and if they help you control cravings more power to ya

MikeK46
04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
To tell the truth I have no idea what a "macronutrient goal" means. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

The total macronutrients/calories you consume each day is what determines whether or not you'll reach your goal. Not the supplements (useless) or how much fruit you're eating.

Start here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

flinkpoyd01
04-23-2011, 07:28 PM
If you know that your smoothie contains roughly 620 calories, of which it is made up of 0 fat, 145g carbs, <8g protein and has about 51g sugar, and that all fits into your overall daily intake and caloric needs to lose weight, then sure, it's fine. I'm a huge fan of fruits and veggies and eat a lot of them daily but no way I'd take in that many calories and sugar from them over other foods on a daily basis. Just my take.

Nutrient levels determined by Livestrong.

snrygo
04-23-2011, 07:58 PM
You need more fat. Read the stickies.