PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever freeze canned tuna???

skaz915
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
I was looking at the 5 lb can of tuna at bj's today. I would have a weird feeling if I kept in the fridge for more than 3 or 4 days and I know I couldn't eat all of that in that time. So I was thinking about draining the can really really well and freezing half of it. Anyone ever done it? I know it will freeze ok but I am more concerned with taste/texture after being thawed out....

mannydawg
04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I was looking at the 5 lb can of tuna at bj's today. I would have a weird feeling if I kept in the fridge for more than 3 or 4 days and I know I couldn't eat all of that in that time. So I was thinking about draining the can really really well and freezing half of it. Anyone ever done it? I know it will freeze ok but I am more concerned with taste/texture after being thawed out....

you want us to hold you hand too? how about you try it and find out

hockeytownfan
04-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Haven't tried it with tuna, but if you do, I suggest you either get vacuum bags or do it the poor mans way.

The poor man's vacuum seal is easy. Fill sink with water, put tuna in freezer bag, slowly submerge food in water until water is almost to the zipper, then zip the bag up. eliminates almost as much air as a pumped bag. Maybe test it out on a small can before taking the 5lb jump.