PDA

View Full Version : IF: How are desserts (flan/milk cake/tres leches/CAKES) assimilated by the body?

YCHR
04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I was wondering about the ways in which desserts such as flan, chocolate cake, milk cake/tres leches are assimilated by the body in a state of significant glycogen depletion (after a workout)?

As far as I understand, complex carbohydrates are turned into sugars so they can be used as glucose to replenish glycogen stores in muscles, more specifically (as opposed to liver glycogen) when they happen to belong to the more starchier kind of carbs.

If such desserts as I have mentioned are consumed after a heavy workout, due to their high sugar/carb content yet low fat (as opposed to a cheesecake kind of desert, of course) paired with a 100% lean source of protein, wouldn't it all allow for an appropriate insulin spike + carbohydrate re-load/glycogen replenishment to allow for adequate protein synthesis? Instead of "making me fat", of course, as the general consensus regarding these types of foods would express.

The context of the situation itself is based on a bulk rather than a cut. IF "clean" bulk, to be more exact. I am 18 years old, weighing 143 lbs. at 8% and my height is 5'8.

DeathTaco
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the point of IF and IIFYM that nutrient timing and type doesn't matter, cause it all breaks down the same and is absorbed regardless?

YCHR
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the point of IF and IIFYM that nutrient timing and type doesn't matter, cause it all breaks down the same and is absorbed regardless?

I don't know what IIFYM means. It's all broken down and absorbed but I do understand that the pairing up of certain macro-nutrients at specific points in time are to be used for specific purposes instead of just eating whatever it is that you want to eat; fats+protein as opposed to carbs + protein for a post workout meal would be detrimental for your goals whether your fasting or not as you simply need a carb re-load and protein availability and fats plays no role in helping the latter happen but rather slows it down. But this is just how I perceive it.

I mean, simply because you were fasting, in terms of cutting, yeah you can do that as long as there's a deficit kept. When it comes to "bulking" is that I start to wonder...

My lean mass is of 132 pounds. If I plan to consume, let's say, 2g of protein per pound of lean mass (which I don't because I find it unnecessary, I usually finish off with 200g at most) I am left with 264g of protein; 1000 calories. My maintenance level is of 2200 and my work outs last for 90 minutes; according to my heart rate monitor I burn an average of 600 calories per workout. 2200 + (20% to "bulk") + 600 = 3000+ calories to gain weight.

Not to lose muscle mass, I account for my protein requirements through the 200g of protein ingested and this leaves me with +2000 calories "free" to fill with whatever I want to eat; desserts, which I love. I often eat sushi or pasta, vegetables too, rice, etc. I just want to know if I can beast out on desserts without it negatively impacting me as I need both the carbs and the sugars they have.

DeathTaco
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
If I was bulking...I'd just have a dessert every friday night lol. If you want to 'clean bulk' probably not good...but I mean...bulking does have its advantages.

But that's just my terrible insight :P I gained quite a bit of fat when I 'bulked' cause idgaf what I ate and just stuffed my face day in and day out.

YCHR
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
If I was bulking...I'd just have a dessert every friday night lol. If you want to 'clean bulk' probably not good...but I mean...bulking does have its advantages.

But that's just my terrible insight :P I gained quite a bit of fat when I 'bulked' cause idgaf what I ate and just stuffed my face day in and day out.

Did you employ an IF pattern of eating?

DeathTaco
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
yeah. But I wasn't strict. Hell, I ate 2 pints of Ben&Jerrys on a lifting day before. Even with eating like ****, and having an unstrict macro breakdown, my body weight levels only fluctuated +/- 3-5lbs on a given week. Considering leangains...I'm at least 1.5-2lbs were in my colon at any given time haha

But that's just me. I do not, would not nor ever would again, advocate eating like I did. Just saying with IF I was able to stay somewhat stable eating like **** occasionally (moreso than once a week).

Again, that's just my experience. No science or anything was involved, just what happened to me. But again, I've always been able to hover around the same weight regardless of how I eat - you may be different.

YCHR
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
yeah. But I wasn't strict. Hell, I ate 2 pints of Ben&Jerrys on a lifting day before. Even with eating like ****, and having an unstrict macro breakdown, my body weight levels only fluctuated +/- 3-5lbs on a given week. Considering leangains...I'm at least 1.5-2lbs were in my colon at any given time haha

But that's just me. I do not, would not nor ever would again, advocate eating like I did. Just saying with IF I was able to stay somewhat stable eating like **** occasionally (moreso than once a week).

Again, that's just my experience. No science or anything was involved, just what happened to me. But again, I've always been able to hover around the same weight regardless of how I eat - you may be different.

What if someone ONLY ate maintenance protein of 1g per pound of LBM during off days and on workout days they ate as much as they wanted of meats starches vegetables and desserts? As much as in even 6000 calories in 8 hour eating window? At the end of the week you would get the same amount of calories, or even a deficit thus ensuring fat loss, while gaining muscle mass due to the overfeeds on workout days?

DeathTaco
04-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm not educated enough to answer that.

My personal interpretation of "low carb" off days is essentially keto. I don't take in any direct carbs. I keep protein levels consistent whether it be on/off days. I really just cycle high carb/high fat.

This is what MB recommends, but the actual levels haven't been said, and in regards to your calorie limit- i just don't know.

sorry couldnt' help more.

YCHR
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not educated enough to answer that.

My personal interpretation of "low carb" off days is essentially keto. I don't take in any direct carbs. I keep protein levels consistent whether it be on/off days. I really just cycle high carb/high fat.

This is what MB recommends, but the actual levels haven't been said, and in regards to your calorie limit- i just don't know.

sorry couldnt' help more.

Its alright! Thank you! Your insights were enriching either way, its just that I have been cycling things in the same way you have yet sometimes wonder about extremes like that to see if there are ways of gaining muscle and loosing fat at even faster rates. I wish I could become martins client.

YCHR
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Its alright! Thank you! Your insights were enriching either way, its just that I have been cycling things in the same way you have yet sometimes wonder about extremes like that to see if there are ways of gaining muscle and loosing fat at even faster rates. I wish I could become martins client.

repped, btw! Thanks again!