PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys eat to get to 210g of protein?

notewar
04-11-2011, 04:57 AM
I know that in order to gain muscle I must lift heavy and consumed protein per body weight.
I weight around 210lbs and im finding it so difficult to consume enough protein to match my body weight. I eat around 2 meals per day and snacks in between. Everyday i normally take 2 scoops of myofusion (50g protein).

By the way i am slight overweight and im trying my best to cut some fats. So you guys think that it is wise that I still need to consume protein per body weight while trying to loss weight? If yes please give me some advice as to what i can eat to reach 210g of protein per day.

Im newbie, im to take any advice and criticism.

benjiaka
04-11-2011, 05:02 AM
I eat protein generally every 2-hours. It's easy to hit the macros you need.
meal 1# Eggs, oats, protein shake.
meal 2# can of tuna
meal #3 can of tuna, almonds, apple
meal #4 chicken breast, soy drum wheat pasta.
preworkout 1/2cup oats, protein shake
postworkout - protein shake

meal #5 chicken/fish, pasta, greens

I hit mine :)

YeomenKek
04-11-2011, 05:02 AM
If you're a newbie, you should go ahead and read the stickies.

Some things to note at the moment, though;
-You don't need protein to match your body weight, and certainly not 210g
-Weight loss is determined by the amount of calories you burn compared to how much you eat, not the intake of dietary fats

Read the stickies to find out why. Here's some copy-paste:

Want to lose fat and/or gain muscle? You've come to the right place.

First things first, here are 4 easy tips that will help you when posting in the nutrition section. Following these guidelines will increase the likeliness for someone to respond to your post(s) with helpful advice and/or answers:

--
--
--

1) You've probably heard the terms "clean", "dirty" and "healthy/unhealthy" used to describe food in the past. Here in the nutrition section, these terms are looked upon in a bad light and the use of them should be kept to a minimum. Why? In normal conversation, these words have a recognised definition. When using them to describe food, however, they have an infinite number of meanings each completely dependent on how the individuals - both the ones using the term and the ones reading it - interpret it.

-Example:
A 200 lb, 6% body fat competitive body builder will have a very different meaning of the words "clean", "dirty" and "healthy/unhealthy" when used to describe food than a 59 year-old life-time vegetarian.

--
--
--

2) There is no list of foods you're not allowed to eat - and vice-versa - there is no list of food you have to eat in order to reach your body composition goals! Don't think you have to give up pizza just because you want to lose some weight! General body composition is about calorie and portion control, not food choices.

-Example:
500 calories of 40g protein, 40g carbs and 20g fats derived from chicken breast, brown rice and olive oil
is equal too:
500 calories of 40g protein, 40g carbs and 20g fats derived from a peperoni pizza!

--
--
--

3) Make sure you have fully read the stickies supplied in the links below before you post again. They are full of info to answer your burning questions. If you have a question and the answer is already readily available from the info included in the stickies, it is unlikely someone will respond to your post.

-Example:
Wondering why no one is responding to your "Why don't I have to eat 6 meals a day?" question? Because the info as to why has already been given in the stickies! Read it all!

--
--
--

4) General board guidelines include not bumping your thread unless it's fallen off the first page of the forum section and not quoting large images. If you are planning to post a picture of your calorie/macronutrient intake from an online calculator, a good "all-round" resolution to reduce it too would be 1024 x 768 pixels

--
--
--

Read these before following the steps below:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129523333
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

-Calculate maintenance calories (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981)
-Reduce or add calories to this number depending on your goal (lose fat, gain muscle)

-For losing fat, I'd suggest a moderate calorie reduction of 20-25%. For gaining muscle, I'd suggest an increase of 20%
-Make sure you get 1-1.5g protein per lb/LBM (lean body mass) and 0.45g fat per lb/BW (body weight) minimum
-After these minimums are reached, you're free to fill whatever remaining calories you have with whatever foods you desire

-Example:
200lb man at 20% body fat wants to lose weight
Maintenance calories: 3000
Calories to cut: 2400
1.5g protein per lb/LBM: (1.5 * 160) 240g
0.45g fat per lb/BW: (200 * 0.45) 90g
Calories from fats + protein minimums: (240 * 4) + (90 * 9) = 1770
Calories from reaching minimums taken from calories to cut: (2400 - 1770) 630
He has 630 kcal left to fill with whatever foods he chooses and still lose weight as a result of remaining in a calorie deficit.

Enjoy dieting and keeping a healthy relationship with food.

bennettj
04-11-2011, 05:03 AM
I know that in order to gain muscle I must lift heavy and consumed protein per body weight.
I weight around 210lbs and im finding it so difficult to consume enough protein to match my body weight. I eat around 2 meals per day and snacks in between. Everyday i normally take 2 scoops of myofusion (50g protein).

By the way i am slight overweight and im trying my best to cut some fats. So you guys think that it is wise that I still need to consume protein per body weight while trying to loss weight? If yes please give me some advice as to what i can eat to reach 210g of protein per day.

Yes, you should still eat 1-1.5g protein per pound of LBM and 0.4-0.5g fat per pound of LBM. If you need to enter a caloric deficit, cut out excess carbohydrates.

I just make meat a part of every meal I eat. Have a big roast beef or turkey sandwich for lunch every day, drink milk with your meals, eat things like steak, pork and/or chicken for dinner. Eat a can of tuna every day. Eat a container of Greek yogurt every day. Things like that will add up quickly.

AlwaysTryin
04-11-2011, 05:05 AM
900g Porterhouse + tuna was today

Really not hard getting enough protein...

notewar
04-11-2011, 05:10 AM
SO fast reply ill rep everyone!!

lampshade444
04-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Chicken, tuna, milk, eggs, beef.

hankst
04-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Didn't read the responses so far, but I'm pretty sure you don't need that much protein.
1g protein per pound of lean body weight: if you weigh in at 210 lbs and have 20% bodyfat, you'd shoot for about
210 * 0.8 = 168 g
of protein per day. That's a far more manageable protein intake.

Atm most of my protein comes from whey protein powder, low fat quark cheese (you will probably not be available to buy this one cheap if you're from the US), low fat cheese, low fat milk, eggs, things like that.
I'm not too big on the meat atm, I usually only eat meat @ McDonald's atm (:D), because
- red meat is expensive, or fatty*
- I ate 500 g of chicken breast daily for a long time, and there comes the time in every aspiring trainees life when you just can't stand any more chicken :D.

(*no fat phobic here, btw, I just like my fat from different sources)

vdoe
04-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Try getting a gram per lbm instead of ur bodyweight. Its hard for me to understand why people cant meet there macros. I eat 3300 cal in one meal and im still not full.

brendbro
04-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Yes, you should still eat 1-1.5g protein per pound of LBM and 0.4-0.5g fat per pound of LBM. If you need to enter a caloric deficit, cut out excess carbohydrates.

I just make meat a part of every meal I eat. Have a big roast beef or turkey sandwich for lunch every day, drink milk with your meals, eat things like steak, pork and/or chicken for dinner. Eat a can of tuna every day. Eat a container of Greek yogurt every day. Things like that will add up quickly.

above post is good advice. I'd say meat and dairy are your best friends in terms of protein. Also you have such a wide variety that they can be very satiating and damn tasty. I'd say the bulk of my protein comes from chicken, kangaroo, cheese and yoghurt. Eggs not too far behind those.

Also supplementing with protein powder helps, it's especially great to flavour things with. Oats + protein powder is a staple for most people around here. Very healthy, very satiating and great way to get some protein in.

clungebrah
04-11-2011, 05:17 AM
eggs, chicken, turkey, sardines, tuna, protein shakes on a normal busy day.

A nice cut of beef, leg of lamb (not all), salmon fillet, something like that. When i have a little more time to appreciate my food.

A lot of dairy has a good protein content too, milk, greek yoghurt, cheese.

With BBQ season ahead, there's no excuse not to be getting enough protein.

coals
04-11-2011, 05:27 AM
IMO , recalculate your protein needs based on lean body mass instead of body mass.

Brb fat guy " I need 300g's of protein!!1"

No.

notewar
04-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Thank everyone,llove u all

PhiSig2298
04-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Couple 12oz cans of chicken breasts = 108g... That usually goes on a salad for me.

I also eat deer steaks or ground deer meat 3 or 4 times a day... 16oz has right around 138g.

calmlikewind
04-11-2011, 06:27 AM
eat that salmon

Cinekydo
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
My biggest sources of protein are Chicken breasts, steak, eggs, greek yogurt, sausages, turkey bacon, whey (yummy in cereals) and seafood.

I mean 15 oz of shrimp has 90g of protein. Not hard to hit that macro.

wZk.60
04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Eggs, chicken, horse meat, fish, cottage cheese and greek yogurt mostly

IMO , recalculate your protein needs based on lean body mass instead of body mass.

Brb fat guy " I need 300g's of protein!!1"

No.
This.

SageMode
04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I eat 6 oz of cooked chicken breast and 6 oz of cooked sirloin steak almost every day which covers about 120 grams. I also eat cottage cheese, peanut butter, eggs, semen, greek yogurt, etc to get my protein to 210 without shakes.

smckdwn989
04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
i'll probably get killed for admitting this but I consume the big majority of my protein via shakes and bars...

for instance I'll do a cytogain/monster mass shake in the am, pre and post work out shakes and a casein shake at night. All shakes include 1.5-2 cups of skim milk except the casein night time shake.

Other protein sources include almonds/peanuts, natural peanut butter, tuna, chicken, lean beef, and cheeses.

I'm consuming on average 250-280 grams of protein per day eating no less than 3500 calories.

NaLLa8705
04-11-2011, 08:22 AM
I eat 6 oz of cooked chicken breast and 6 oz of cooked sirloin steak almost every day which covers about 120 grams. I also eat cottage cheese, peanut butter, eggs, semen, greek yogurt, etc to get my protein to 210 without shakes.

Can't be right... 8oz chicken breast < 50g protein. More fatty sirloin even less protein... 120 HAS to be an over estimate.

Just had 86g protein for breakfast... <650 calories... Its really not that difficult man. Listen to all these people in this thread and EAT UP

notewar
04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
i'll probably get killed for admitting this but I consume the big majority of my protein via shakes and bars...

for instance I'll do a cytogain/monster mass shake in the am, pre and post work out shakes and a casein shake at night. All shakes include 1.5-2 cups of skim milk except the casein night time shake.

Other protein sources include almonds/peanuts, natural peanut butter, tuna, chicken, lean beef, and cheeses.

I'm consuming on average 250-280 grams of protein per day eating no less than 3500 calories.

I got to say that "Holy sheet thats alot of supplement". I tried to limit my shake intake to food.

I always wonder about how vegetarian peoples get their source of proteins from. For us who eat meat would be no problem at all....but vegetarian.........would their major source of protein intake comes from supplement, peanut butter, milk and egg?

PhiSig2298
04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I got to say that "Holy sheet thats alot of supplement". I tried to limit my shake intake to food.

I always wonder about how vegetarian peoples get their source of proteins from. For us who eat meat would be no problem at all....but vegetarian.........would their major source of protein intake comes from supplement, peanut butter, milk and egg?

Yeah dairy products, whole wheat pastas has protein in it, eggs, stuff like that

jcosley
04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Yesterday:

4 whole eggs
8 scoops protein powder (morning, pwo, night)
Tuna
Tiliapia and salmon
Almonds

So I was way over 200 for the day.

humbaba621
04-11-2011, 08:34 AM

??? cool

jcosley
04-11-2011, 08:35 AM
i eat 6 oz of cooked chicken breast and 6 oz of cooked sirloin steak almost every day which covers about 120 grams. I also eat cottage cheese, peanut butter, eggs, semen, greek yogurt, etc to get my protein to 210 without shakes.

??? Cool

wtf?

SageMode
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Can't be right... 8oz chicken breast < 50g protein. More fatty sirloin even less protein... 120 HAS to be an over estimate.

Interesting. I just looked it up and your right. I did those calcs a long time ago. Wonder how I came up with those numbers. mind=blown

humbaba621
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
wtf?

sarcasm..

jcosley
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
sarcasm..

I understand your comment....i just dont get the other persons....pretty gross.

PhiSig2298
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Yesterday:

4 whole eggs
8 scoops protein powder (morning, pwo, night)
Tuna
Tiliapia and salmon
Almonds

So I was way over 200 for the day.

8 scoops? How many grams????

Jesus Christ you're keeping GNC in business!

jcosley
04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
8 scoops? How many grams????

Jesus Christ you're keeping GNC in business!

I work at a supp store, get all my protein at cost so im not too worried about it.....never shop at gnc. I'm not retarded.

I don't ALWAYS get 8 scoops a day, I was busy most of the day so it was my way of getting in my protein for the day. 4 scoops whey, 4 casein...1 scoop of each (so around 48 grams)

EDIT: And when you are as active as me and doing constant insane training, you need that much protein in a day!

NaLLa8705
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I work at a supp store, get all my protein at cost so im not too worried about it.....never shop at gnc. I'm not retarded.

I don't ALWAYS get 8 scoops a day, I was busy most of the day so it was my way of getting in my protein for the day. 4 scoops whey, 4 casein...1 scoop of each (so around 48 grams)

EDIT: And when you are as active as me and doing constant insane training, you need that much protein in a day!

8 scoops is pretty much your required daily amount of protein... do you not eat?!

jcosley
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
8 scoops is pretty much your required daily amount of protein... do you not eat?!

Do you know how to read?

hankst
04-11-2011, 09:09 AM
You'd be better off with more carbs and less protein, I think.

mtfx
04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I try to eat whole foods for protein intake, but sometimes its just plain hard depending on my day...

So a little drink I made was:
16oz milk
2 scoops whey
1c greek yogurt

Throw those in a shaker cup and go to town. Turns it into a smooth/creamy protein shake with that yogurt tang that is great. 88g of protein.

notewar
04-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Do you know how to read?

Jcosley you mind telling how you spread those 8 scoops thru out the day?

Im current taking 2 scoops morning *Myofusion
and 2 scoops b4 bed,,,that made 2 servings of 4 scoops per day.

How do you split your shake intake?

PerpetualMotion
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM

You'd be better off with more carbs and less protein, I think.

If each scoop is 24g of protein then he gets around 192g of protein from supplements alone. He probably hits, what, around 270-280g? He weighs 229lbs. That's only around 1.2g of protein per pound, which really isn't all that much since someone like Martin has recommended 2.5g/kg minimum. So I don't understand what the big fuss is. Alan has mentioned he gets around half of his protein intake from whey alone for the sake of convenience. 8 scoops isn't really that much. Also, 1 scoop of whey for me is only 18g of protein. It depends on the brand, too.

hankst
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
You just don't need that much protein in a hypercaloric setting, it's simply a waste of money, and I'm pretty sure you could get away with 1.2-1.5 g per kg of lbm as a natty.
But to each their own.

Edit:
I'm really not trying to push anything on anyone.
Carbs are just more beneficial to muscle growth as additional protein as soon as protein requirements are met...

jcosley
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Jcosley you mind telling how you spread those 8 scoops thru out the day?

Im current taking 2 scoops morning *Myofusion
and 2 scoops b4 bed,,,that made 2 servings of 4 scoops per day.

How do you split your shake intake?

I had 2 upon waking, did some cardio....ate breakfast after (eggs, etc, etc) ...2 more 3 hours later with almonds, had a 2nd training session in the afternoon and had 2 scoops after, then 2 more before bed. I normally dont have this much liquid protein in a day, usually 4 scoops...yesterday was an exception.

PerpetualMotion
04-11-2011, 09:47 AM
You just don't need that much protein in a hypercaloric setting, it's simply a waste of money, and I'm pretty sure you could get away with 1.2-1.5 g per kg of lbm as a natty.
But to each their own.

Edit:
I'm really not trying to push anything on anyone.
Carbs are just more beneficial to muscle growth as additional protein as soon as protein requirements are met...

You'd be surprised at how many reliable names recommend far more than that, regardless of what state you're in. I've seen Lyle recommend 1.5g/lb for strength/power athletes (and jcosley has mentioned he does "insane training). I tried to find what Alan said but I saw someone mention that he recommends between 1-1.5g/lb. Layne Norton recommends a minimum of 1g/lb and up to 1.25g/lb for more intense athletes. (I think I've seen Layne recommend more but I'm not sure.)

So, protein requirements tend to vary from person to person.

SageMode
04-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I understand your comment....i just dont get the other persons....pretty gross.

Gotta get that NUTrition, dawg

jcosley
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Gotta get that NUTrition, dawg

From semen, huh? Have fun with that.

Alwaysdeadlift
04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Just remember that the serving size to most meat is 4oz, so if you were to eat 1/2-1lb of meat in any one of those meals, the protein will add up pretty quickly.

Meat, peanut butter, and milk is typically a large portion of my daily protein.

vsvs
04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
50g from shakes, not whey
70g from chicken or tilapia
70g from beef or pork
??g from other meals, not necessarily clean
20g aminos during lifting on lifting days

usually hit around 220-240g

notewar
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Just remember that the serving size to most meat is 4oz, so if you were to eat 1/2-1lb of meat in any one of those meals, the protein will add up pretty quickly.

Meat, peanut butter, and milk is typically a large portion of my daily protein.

normally how many gram of proteins contained in 4oz of meat? I dont usually eat meat/beef so i dont really have any idea about it. I normally eat pork and minced chicken LOL

how many oz of red meat to get 20-30 gram of protein in 1 serving?

hankst
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Any1 else thinks it's very odd that some people here measure their protein in gram, but their meat in fairy units (= not SI units) of measurements?

normally how many gram of proteins contained in 4oz of meat? I dont usually eat meat/beef so i dont really have any idea about it. I normally eat pork and minced chicken LOL

how many oz of red meat to get 20-30 gram of protein in 1 serving?

nutritiondata.com

100g of skinless chicken breast contain roughly 20g of protein, and about 0 to 1g fat.

OT84
04-11-2011, 10:29 AM
For losing fat, I'd suggest a moderate calorie reduction of 20-25%. For gaining muscle, I'd suggest an increase of 20%

So according to this, you can't lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time, since you have to either go above or below maintenance... Yeah right, don't think so!

N01SYtZ
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I wish I could eat more protein, I am aiming for 200 right now while prepping and it goes by so quickly.
Thin sliced chicken breasts have SO MUCH protein in it and throwing on some spices make it delicious!

hankst
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
So according to this, you can't lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time, since you have to either go above or below maintenance... Yeah right, don't think so!

Sadly, it doesn't matter what you think, because what you think is wrong*.

*if you're not an overfat beginner or on anabolic steroids

smckdwn989
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
If each scoop is 24g of protein then he gets around 192g of protein from supplements alone. He probably hits, what, around 270-280g? He weighs 229lbs. That's only around 1.2g of protein per pound, which really isn't all that much since someone like Martin has recommended 2.5g/kg minimum. So I don't understand what the big fuss is. Alan has mentioned he gets around half of his protein intake from whey alone for the sake of convenience. 8 scoops isn't really that much. Also, 1 scoop of whey for me is only 18g of protein. It depends on the brand, too.

i consume something like 9 scoops of protein powder a day. granted 4 are from monster mass which has 12.5G per scoop, but I see nothing wrong with this. I still incorporate other protein sources, and healthy snacks into my diet.

feelsg00dmayne
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
1 scoop whey ~ 27 g
4 oz chicken, 4 oz tilapia ~ 60 g
toast + 2 eggs ~ 18 g
1 scoop whey + 1 cup oats + 2 tbsp PB + 1 cup 2% milk ~ 55 g
yogurt + cereal ~ 5 g
almonds ~ 7 g
cup rice + 4 oz chicken ~ 35 g
1 cup cottage cheese + 2 tbsp PB ~ 35 g

totals ~ 230+ grams easy

add y0 veggies and some olive oil to meet fats if necessary!

OT84
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Sadly, it doesn't matter what you think, because what you think is wrong*.

*if you're not an overfat beginner or on anabolic steroids

I know people here follow the bulk then cut routine religiously, but it's not the only way to improve your physique. Keep an open mind, this is not an exact science.

bentleyd2
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I eat 6 oz of cooked chicken breast and 6 oz of cooked sirloin steak almost every day which covers about 120 grams.

False man, I'd re check those numbers. I'd say about 6g of Protein per oz of Chicken Breast. Not sure about the Sirloin but I'd say your numbers are a little off.