PDA

View Full Version : Why does regulation work for kids but not adults?

voltio8836
04-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't see anyone protesting against laws such as selling cigarettes to minor, driving under age, drinking, smoking etc.

NinjaViking
04-08-2011, 04:10 PM
*crickets

tts0lid
04-08-2011, 04:12 PM
The minors protest. No one has any qualms about regulating others. The only people generally complaining about regulations/laws are the people who are directly affected.

KRANE
04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't see anyone protesting against laws such as selling cigarettes to minor, driving under age, drinking, smoking etc.That's because it's pretty universally understood that minors are not developed enough to make those decisions for themselves.

NinjaViking
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
just like it's universally understood that a company that profits from harming people and the environment is not responsible enough to make the types of decisions regarding the welfare of the environment they're exploiting for profit?

That's something I've wondered. Those companies have a huge influence over EPA policy.

leafs43
04-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Krane just /threaded this bish.

bking10
04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
to be honest its because those regulations are easily bypassed or broken. maybe not driving under age, but the rest are really quite useless rules for most kids.

LennardiVooDoo
04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
to be honest its because those regulations are easily bypassed or broken. maybe not driving under age, but the rest are really quite useless rules for most kids.

Umm no they're not, that's why the kind of **** that goes down in America doesn't go down in other countries.

RiYelir
04-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Umm no they're not, that's why the kind of **** that goes down in America doesn't go down in other countries.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of "****" you're talking about, but I know they didn't stop me. My friends and I were all smoking cigarettes, drinking, and doing drugs at 15 years old, despite the fact that they were "regulated". It's not even as if these things were hard to get even though they were illegal for us to possess.

LennardiVooDoo
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure exactly what kind of "****" you're talking about, but I know they didn't stop me. My friends and I were all smoking cigarettes, drinking, and doing drugs at 15 years old, despite the fact that they were "regulated". It's not even as if these things were hard to get even though they were illegal for us to possess.

I was talking about corporate/industrial regulation. And since laws are so easy to break, why don't we just outlaw murder? Strong fail lack of logic.
In Australia we have financial regulation so that banks can't talk enormous risks with our money, and the have clearly worked because we have one of the most stable economies in the world.

lexinak
04-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't see anyone protesting against laws such as selling cigarettes to minor, driving under age, drinking, smoking etc.

Because minors have no political power. What are they going to do, vote out the politician who supports regulating minors' behavior?

AsianAesthetics
04-08-2011, 05:29 PM
That's because it's pretty universally understood that minors are not developed enough to make those decisions for themselves.

i beg to differ. but only a select few are intelligent enough to make those decisions with a sound rationality besides "because my mom told me so".

Rune
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
That's because it's pretty universally understood that minors are not developed enough to make those decisions for themselves.

And what about when unregulated financial/lending practices create a genuine concern for the future of your country? Is that not a case for people not being developed enough to be making decisions for themselves?

What about companies like Monsanto patenting any gene the stumble across and then suing anybody who does anything remotely related so said gene or the natural products it may transfer to? Is this a case?

It's not like people hit some age and magically start acting responsibly, and like a stand up member of society.. and it's not like every person is adequately educated or motivated to be making those decisions(*cough* deepwater horizon). The list goes on.

lexinak
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
And what about when unregulated financial/lending practices create a genuine concern for the future of your country? Is that not a case for people not being developed enough to be making decisions for themselves?

What about companies like Monsanto patenting any gene the stumble across and then suing anybody who does anything remotely related so said gene or the natural products it may transfer to? Is this a case?

It's not like people hit some age and magically start acting responsibly, and like a stand up member of societt.. and it's not like every person is adequately educated or motivated to be making those decisions(*cough* deepwater horizon). The list goes on.

KRANE prefers his universe in black and white.